[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How realistic is the movie cliche of a hacker being able to hack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: lainchan mascot.png (179KB, 1024x946px) Image search: [Google]
lainchan mascot.png
179KB, 1024x946px
How realistic is the movie cliche of a hacker being able to hack nearby electronic devices on the ground within a few minutes of concentrated work?

eg: group find a locked security door, hacker whips out a laptop and hacks it open while spouting techno-gibberish

I was under the impression that 99% of "hacking" is running scripts that other people have made against hundreds of thousands of indiscriminate targets until you get lucky, not so much a specific, improvisational skill.
>>
Install trisquel
>>
>>58094598
is this the new gentoo?
>>
>>58094571
I don't know a single thing about hacking or programming but from what I see and read it seems to be divided into different areas based on method, a bit like a fisherman:

So mass deployment of your malware vs a crowd of targets, a bit like a malicious version of product marketing for deployment. A bit like laying net traps and checking them in the morning with one simple bait for the fish in that area.

Then specific fish catching requires you learn about your desired catch, its habits, its location, its preferred food and then fishing in the right weather, at the right time, using the approach tailored to your knowledge of the target outside of the actual catch.

Then randomly throwing your line out at sea with all different bait and seeing what you can get and that being reward itself.
>>
>>58094611
nope
>>
Mostly it is bullshit. The movies interpretation for hacking is for the masses, it doesn't care about technical accuracy. The fact is that you can actually hack something fast, depending on your experience and skill. If you've done security testing on tens of, let's say, door locks, you know or can guess what to look for and where. Moreover, you might actually have tested that model before and even automated the exploitation. In these cases it could be possible.
>>
>How realistic
None. Zero.
This is the closest realistic version of hacking to what you're asking (the keypad)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG5vsPJ5Tos
>>
>>58096950
kek
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.