[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is printer support for Linux fucking garbage? It's 2016

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: l_18046144.jpg (32KB, 600x532px) Image search: [Google]
l_18046144.jpg
32KB, 600x532px
Why is printer support for Linux fucking garbage? It's 2016 and I still have to run Windows in a virtual machine just so I can use my printer.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>58089276
Because Linux is a hobby OS.
>Pic related, you.
>>
>>58089276
Normies don't use linux
>>
Because Linux is piece of shit
/thread
>>
>>58089276
Dunno what you're talking about. I have yet to run into a printer that Linux Mint won't auto-detect and work straight away.
>>
>>58089276
The better question is, why your printer doesn't have a printserver integrated.

You buy shit and complain about the taste. Seriously, all the fucking idiots complaining about printers bought horrible shit.
>>
>>58089322
Ditto. I literally have an HP Deskjet 1000 J110 series that was 30 bucks brand new at walmart that works with Mint, and have had a 500 dollar Canon printer work just fine.
>>
>>58089299
>tfw you really want to play around with this thing.
>>
>>58089276
>>58089299
Wtf are you fuckos talking about? Linux runs CUPS. Thus it supports most printers and is the industry standard for network printing.
>>
>>58089360
This. It's like people haven't heard of CUPS.

Printer support is better than Windows and equals OSX because Apple took over CUPS.
>>
>>58089276
What's wong with CUPS?
>>
>>58089360
>>58089369
>>58089370
I have CUPS installed but not all programs recognized my printer and this option doesn't even exist on Linux
>>
>>58089299
I actually have that tower in storage. It's an HP slimline from around ten years ago.
>>
>>58089380
That option exists to be turned off.
>>
I'm doing IT for a mid-sized company with a lot of Mint 17 workstations and a lot of different printers.
The only problems I've had on the workstation end have been with people who had been 'upgraded' to Windows 10 not being able to print pdfs from time to time because Windows saw it fit to change the default program for handling them to Edge which shits the bed when trying to print some pdfs.
>>
>>58089419
Who in the fuck would want Windows 10 over Mint?
>>
>>58089419
>Windows needs a web browser to print a PDF
>>
>>58089427
I meant people on Windows workstations who had been upgraded from Windows 7 to 10.
As for your question, we actually have 1 lady woking in PR who looks down on free-as-in-free-beer software and so is getting a Windows machine next fiscal year, but everyone else is pretty happy, so much so that they bring us their personal machines after purchasing them to get Mint installed on them.
>>
>>58089419
Why would Windows shoe horn that into their OS?
>>
>>58089466
I don't understand how a woman could associate cost with affluence, but be OK with Windows over Mac OSX.
>>
>>58089444
It doesn't need it.
It just decided to wipe user settings, replacing Adobe's Viewer that can print all pdfs with their browser which can't.
>>
>>58089484
I am just trying to wrap my mind around why they would elect to do that. I get that they want everyone to use their software, but this just seems dumb.

Then again, Windows 10 still has code from Windows 3.1 on it, rather than actually scrapping their security mess of monolithic design to incorporate the modular design of pretty much everything else, so I guess Windows really doesn't do much of anything that makes sense, whether it be from a user experience standpoint or a security standpoint. They just fail at everything, but manage to keep existing due to familiarity (which I'm pretty sure won't last for much longer).
>>
not satisfied ? roll your own driver...
>>
>>58089276

Is OP fucking serious. Linux hasn't even mastered a fucking PRINTER yet?

Jesus, even the Chromebox I bought for a family member last xmas is more usable than linux (granted you have to use google cloud print). But still, when you can't even compete with a $150 tiny browser box, that's some next level useless shit.
>>
>>58089813
Linux has wonderful printer support; OP's just a retard.
>>
>>58089813
This has to be bait.
>>
>>58089813
>even Linux was more usable than Linux
>>
>>58089276
>bought trash printer with trash driver support
>it's apparently the fault of Linux. Not you, not canon, not gutenprint, not CUPS (which is made by apple)

Law should forbid retards like (you) from using computers of any kind.
>>
>>58089355
HP and Canon has drivers for Linux, and Ubuntu/Mint will autodetect and run them.

Imagine my frustration when I discovered that while the setup on linux was literally "plug it in and read the message that said that it was installed", was not nearly as simple on Windows.

I don't get why Microsoft allows printer companies to shit on them so much.
>>
>>58089276
Buy a Brother, the producer is actively supporting Linux and they have cheap as fuck toners with the same print quality as HP
>>
>>58089859
It's not that printer companies shit on Windows, but that Windows has to make the user install EVERYTHING because of their monolithic design. They have enough issues keeping their own software secure, due to the fact that everything is given admin privileges.

Imagine having to patch for all the security issues that might be caused on every printer (which also has admin privileges, unlike linux or Mac OSX), rather than just forcing the end user to roll the dice on a single printer.
>>
>Implying anything works on linux
>>
>sister needs to print uni assignment
>her W10 laptop thinks there's an error with the printer
>sends me the PDF
>Linux lovingly seduces the printer over our local network, activates its inkjets and prints it first time with no errors whatsoever

There's no reason to use windows in year of the Linux desktop, 2017.
>>
File: areyouseriousyoufatfuckfor(You).png (328KB, 350x471px) Image search: [Google]
areyouseriousyoufatfuckfor(You).png
328KB, 350x471px
>>58090033
>>
I'm starting to believe Microshit actually does have a huge room full of Pajeets sitting in cubicles shilling bs on /g/ all day long.
>>
>>58089276
>click start menu, type 'printer', open up "Printers", add a printer, autodetects networked printer, automatically finds the relevant driver for me, install driver, print test page
>it just werks
Hey thanks OP I'd been putting off setting up my printer because I thought it would be hard. Turns out it's easier than on windows lol.
>>
>>58090266
>linux
>start menu
wut
>>
File: Selection_043.png (113KB, 663x508px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_043.png
113KB, 663x508px
>>58090297
p-problem?
>>
>>58090323
not him, but this is disgusting, good sir.
>>
>>58090960
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>58091007
Fuck you... why would you want to send me to reddit? I've been here for like a decade and don't even understand how reddit works.
>>
>>58091149
You type like a redditor so I assumed you are one.
>>
>>58091182
that's probably because I've rarely been here the last couple of years and reddit is like 2 years behind 4chan. Anyhow I think KDE looks disgusting and your Mint launch thingy looks exactly like KDE used to.
>>
>>58089276
Because printers are garbage.
Printers are the one piece of technology that i can never fully figure out.
>its plugged in
>the drivers are installed
>the printer is set up
>it has paper and ink
>i click print
>computer says its printing
>nothing happens

I hate printers, my mom hates printers, my dad hates printers, my uncle hates printers, my boss hates printers, my god danm cats hate printers.

When i want something printed i'd optimally use a HP LaserJet 5 from 1996 because that was the only good printer ive ever owned in my life.
That printer never fucked up, that printer never jammed, that printer printed whenever i told it too, that printer went 10 years in my house, it printed everything from my mspaint doodles, to screenshots of runescape i took on my ancient windows 95 machine.

Now i have a 30$ printer that refuses to work unless its on unsecured wifi
>>
>>58091215
I don't know what you're talking about, it's been 10 years or so since I've run KDE and I've never used Mint.
>>
>>58091251
Exactly why I print shit at work. There are dozens of them around and dozens of people to fix the pieces of shit
>>
>>58091293
>I don't know what you're talking about

are you fucking kidding me?

The whole derailed shitfest was about me telling you that the mint screenshot looks like shit.

>>58091332
>>58091251
>normie printers won't work meme

Those printers won't work because they were cheap as dirt. They work if you buy proper printers. That's the reason those magical printers at work function properly...

also I'm a sysadmin and I know that they occasionally won't work, but then it's in 98% of case pure stupidity of the user. (like maybe delete your printing queue first or see if there is a physical problem with the paper feed)
>>
>>58091384
The flaw in your logic is assuming I'm someone I'm not.
>>
>>58091384
>That's the reason those magical printers at work function properly...
Hahahahahaha 10/10
>>
>>58091406
Thanks that you prolonged that bullshit by another three posts by not just saying so in the first place. You sure, you don't actually come from reddit?
>>
>>58091420
>Thanks that you prolonged that bullshit by another three posts by not just saying so in the first place
That was intentional. You need to learn not to make assumptions.
>You sure, you don't actually come from reddit?
Never been there.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.