[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a way to bypass/reset S.M.A.R.T. errors? Long story

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: dDEfZbLf33WZeVNKtY2MjZ.jpg (96KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
dDEfZbLf33WZeVNKtY2MjZ.jpg
96KB, 1280x854px
Is there a way to bypass/reset S.M.A.R.T. errors?

Long story short I have a small 150GB spare 2.5" drive that I want to use as a main drive for a little windows notebook for really simple use for my little brother when he is over. The problem is the drive was once in a netbook and got really hot, which triggered the S.M.A.R.T. temperature threshold.

The drive is fine, no sector problems or anything now and has worked for a while, but the problem is that Windows refuses to install on it because the setup sees the S.M.A.R.T. flag that's been tripped and says "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The disk may fail soon."
>>
>>58086995
yes, manufacturers do it.
>>
No, retard.
>>
>>58087006

Well aren't you a bundle of joy.
>>
>>58086995

The SMART exists for a reason you fucking retard. That disk may actually fail soon.
>>
>>58087117

I don't give a fuck if it fails, you dipshit. Oh no a windows install and 15 year old games will be lost., whatever shall I do! Go fuck yourself.

Too bad this supposed failure hasn't come for the 3 years since the SMART was tripped.
>>
Disable smart reporting in the bios?
>>
>>58087117
>That disk may actually fail soon.

Not him but I had something very similar, my laptop overheated because a fan died and it triggered the smart error for temperature on both my drives I had in it. I used them for almost 5 years after that and never had a problem, they never died, I ended up just tossing them once they were so old the space wasn't really useful anymore.

It's not like he's got bad sector errors or anything. Also maybe he doesn't care if the drive fails, he's not asking how to do it for a server full of critical shit, he said it's for a laptop for a brother to fuck around with when visiting.
>>
>>58087149

Thank you for actually answering the question. I'll give this a try and see if it goes. Frankly I don't care if the drive dies in a couple weeks (hell, it's worked for 2 years since the SMART got flagged) I just want a temporary laptop for use for my brother over the holidays. Tight on money because Christmas and don't want to buy a new drive just for use until the new year.
>>
>>58087117
Thank you GeniusBar
>>
>>58086995
install gentoo
>>
>>58087012
How old are you? I said that kinda stuff when I was like 11
>>
File: 1467855012159.jpg (56KB, 531x531px) Image search: [Google]
1467855012159.jpg
56KB, 531x531px
>>58087207
Jezus. If you really didn't disable smart check in bios before asking here then you deserve all those hostile posts.
I did just that and had no problem installing win7 on a hard drive with bad sectors and other failing properties.
>>
>>58087774

I did disable the SMART check and it still flags the drive as no install. Tried Windows 7 and 10, both do it.
>>
>>58086995
Dumb workaround worth trying:

>install Windows to a different drive plugged into the same machine
>clone the drive to the faulty one
>boot from that one and finish the installation
>>
>>58086995
PM'd you the solution.
>>
>>58088170
It worked. Thanks.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.