[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /g/. I need to perform a computational-heavy task, doing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: motorcade_dsf0422.jpg (178KB, 950x633px) Image search: [Google]
motorcade_dsf0422.jpg
178KB, 950x633px
Hello /g/. I need to perform a computational-heavy task, doing thousands of calculations on huge datasets. What language is best to use for this?

I already know Python and Matlab, but it's no problem for me if I have to learn another language in order to do this. I've heard good stories about C++ and Rust.
>>
bimp
>>
If your problem can be written in terms of matrices just use NumPy in Python, or Matlab. The heavy-lifting in these cases is already being done in highly optimized scientific libraries like LAPACK, so the overhead of the interpreter is negligible.

However if you can't formulate your problem via existing routines (matrix operations, linear optimization, quadratic programming, etc.), you'll have to write your own algorithm, in which case these interpreted languages would be too slow compared to C, C++ or Fortran.

TLDR: it depends on the nature of the problem at hand.
>>
>>58078256
C++ is ideal.
>>
>>58078256
Bite the bullet and learn C++ already
>>
>>58079955
> c++
That's too slow for op
You need x86 assembly
>>
>>58079951
My friend is trying to gamble on sports matches. He asked me to help with the mathematics and programming of it, in return I get some of the profits. He has been super shady to me about how we're gonna do this, we basically have to run a gazillion simulations until we find the """""right"""" parameters for his fucking formula to work.
>>
>>58080111
That sounds really fucking shady, I would ask for payment up-front and do the bare minimum, or ask for some more explanation on how the """formula""" works.
>>
>>58080174
He's been talking about winning hundreds of thousands of dollars. We don't even our shit together programming-wise, or mathematics-wise, and he's already talking about tax evasion and how to cash in all the hypothetical money we're gonna win in the hypothetical situation that our formula and non-existent computer program works.

I don't even know where he'd get the money to get started, he says he knows "investors" who are willing to pay him 10k to get it going, but I REALLY doubt that.
>>
>>58080174
Either way though, it's a good programming experience for me, and I see it as a way to learn new things while having a 0.000000000001% chance of making money.
>>
>>58080111

>le formula which tells you what the broncos will score

Hahahahahahahhah, ok.

Please make sure you don't put your own money in this!
>>
>>58080218
>He's been talking about winning hundreds of thousands of dollars. We don't even our shit together programming-wise, or mathematics-wise, and he's already talking about tax evasion and how to cash in all the hypothetical money we're gonna win in the hypothetical situation that our formula and non-existent computer program works.

Aww. We all were 15, weren't we.

If this gambling thing doesn't work out, you guys should move on to develop the prepetuum mobile.
>>
>>58078256
Have you considered MapReduce stuff on Hadoop? I mean, if it's really large datasets, why not plan for it?
>>
>>58080238
>Please make sure you don't put your own money in this!

Absolutely not, I made this clear in the beginning. If we're actually gonna be putting money in this, it's his money.
>>
>>58080266
>If this gambling thing doesn't work out, you guys should move on to develop the prepetuum mobile.

Another thing I see being memed around my university is "mathematical finance". These people are talking about trading options as if they've invented the wheel.

>DUDE JUST BUY WHEN YOU KNOW IT'S GONNA GO UP

Might be fun to try after this thing inevitably fails.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.