[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Con Kolivas, a former Linux kernel developer, compared some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

File: file.png (109KB, 389x418px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
109KB, 389x418px
>Con Kolivas, a former Linux kernel developer, compared some Windows kernel code to Linux code and was surprised at the difference in code quality

>The summary of my impression [after reading the Windows code] was that I was... surprised....the [Windows] code, as I saw it, was neat. Real neat. Extremely neat. In fact, I found it painful to read after a while. It was so neatly laid out that I found myself admiring it. It seems to have been built like an aircraft. It has everything that opens and shuts, has code for just about everything I've ever seen considered on a scheduler, and it's all neatly laid out in clean code and even comments. It also appears to have been coded with an awful lot of effort to ensure it's robust and measurable, with checking and tracing elements at every corner. I started to feel a little embarrassed by what we have as our own [Linux] kernel. The more I looked at the [Windows] code, the more it felt like it pretty much did everything the Linux kernel has been trying to do for ages. Not only that, but it's built like an aircraft, whereas ours looks like a garage job with duct tape by comparison....[Windows] looks like an excellent design for a completely different purpose. It's built like a commercial design for commercial purposes that have very different requirements than what most of us use Linux for, but it does appear to have been done so very well.
>>
>>58075797
lel. It also costs 300+ sheckels and is actively funded.
>>
>>58075797
Lincucks blown the fuck out
>>
Can you provide the source code for the Windows kernel so that I can compare it to Linux?
>>
s/Windows/Solaris/g
>>
>>58075926
this
windows has been programmed by professionals who were paid for it.
Linux was made by enthusiasts.
>but pajeets
pretty much the whole NT kernel was written before the pajeet took over.
>>
If it's so good, why does linux perform objectively better?
>>
>>58075946
If you go to the Microsoft headquarters they'll actually show it to you. You obviously can't copy it or take pictures of it but they'll let you look at it.
>>
>>58075834
I actually agree with the paedo for a change
>>
>>58075946
All Windows source code is available if you have the right job, all governments, armies, etc for example have full access to it and are allowed to check it for security issues, just not take it and modify it. All fixes go through MS.
>>
File: Capture.png (27KB, 903x390px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
27KB, 903x390px
>>58075946
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sharedsource/default.aspx
>>
>>58075797
>>58075926
>>58075938
>>58075946
>>58075948
>>58075953
>>58075956
>>58075962
>>58075968
>>58075980
Remember to NEVER belive what the Hebrew says.
>>
>>58075797
>>58075926
>>58075938
>>58075953
>>58075956
>>58075962
>>58075980
THE OP QUOTE IS FALSIFIED.
IT IS ACTUALLY REFERRING TO SOLARIS, NOT THE MICROSOFT NT KERNEL.
FABRICATED.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Linux#Kernel_code_quality

Actual Microsoft kernel commentary from an actual Microsoft EMPLOYEE:
http://blog.zorinaq.com/i-contribute-to-the-windows-kernel-we-are-slower-than-other-oper/

>I'm a developer in Windows and contribute to the NT kernel.
>Windows is indeed slower than other operating systems in many scenarios, and the gap is worsening
>the NTFS code is a purple opium-fueled Victorian horror novel that uses global recursive locks and SEH for flow control.
>>
>>58076004
Ransjeesh
blown
the
fuck
out
>>
File: dumbass.jpg (43KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
dumbass.jpg
43KB, 480x640px
>>58076004
It doesn't matter if its referring to OpenSolaris or Windows... One of the Linux kernel developers just admitted Linux is a big, bloaty piece of shit about to explode.

Lincucks in suicide watch ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>58076042
Except that NT is far worse even. Source:
http://blog.zorinaq.com/i-contribute-to-the-windows-kernel-we-are-slower-than-other-oper/
>>
>>58076031
>http://blog.zorinaq.com/i-contribute-to-the-windows-kernel-we-are-slower-than-other-oper/
That whole thing reads as completely fake, they later edit even tries to backpedal because what was said in the first half wasn't even true lmao.
>>
>>58076031
>zorinaq.com
>2013
>Linux has been getting slower while Windows has been getting faster

Post something recent.
>>
wtf i hate linux now
>>
>>58075797
He was a dev from 2007
>>
>>58075797
clever anon you replaced OpenSolaris with Windows but I'm onto you ;)
>>
>Windows
>Runs on hundreds of millions of personal computers used by mostly computer illiterate users and despite that only a small portion of the users have issues with the system

>Linux
>The few personal computer users it has have huge issues with it and even tech-savvy persons will have trouble configuring some of its stuff
>>
>>58075797
>Reading NT Code
>NT is closed source
Low quality b8 m8
>>
>>58076167
see >>58076001
>>
>>58076042
the NT kernel at it's current state is pretty shit.
>>
>>58076197
I doubt they will compile before me and let me do checksums and no one audited the code yet. This is just marketing. Only the API is available, so it's literally nothing.
>>
>>58076042
Thanks for the FUD Mr Goldstein
>>
File: 1481295019638.jpg (677KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1481295019638.jpg
677KB, 2560x1440px
>>58075797
The NT4 and 2000 is partially available. The code quality is good, the comments are ridiculous. Since WP and W10 become a complete garbage, you can guess what really needs a duct tape.
Linux lost the desktop battle, but won the war on every other platform. Deal with it.
>>
File: windows development.png (1MB, 1300x4704px) Image search: [Google]
windows development.png
1MB, 1300x4704px
yeah
>>
File: 1434237976082.jpg (50KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1434237976082.jpg
50KB, 306x306px
>>58075797
You are too dumb for OS development. The "this code is beauty" "we can't adapt this code, because its quality" isn't an argument just being a big mouth as an average code monkey.

>>58076031
Yep, the current scheduler is shit, but you can replace it with... Oh wait Con Kolivas :^)
Oh yeah... You should use ck too on desktop for experience that BTFO all the wincuck!
>>
>>58076165
both will run near flawlessly so long as the hardware is well supported. fact of the matter is, there's shit out there that's been running for decades almost non-stop and it won't work on your modern gaymen system for obvious reasons.

in addition, I've had situations where my setup was better supported on Linux than on Windows, but admittedly it usually is the other way around. in any case, this is not a phenomenon that can be attributed to the operating systems themselves. the hardware vendors are at fault.
>>
>>58076633
I've tried to use his BFS and noticed no difference whatsoever. Only that my system was now harder to maintain due to the custom kernel.
>>
i thought linux was better, turns out i was lied to by /g/. sad!
>>
The Windows Kernel Mode Driver Framework is the ugliest shit I have ever laid eyes on. I'm not sure what the actual kernel code looks like, but if it is anything like KMDF, I would hesitate to call it anything close to "neat".
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.