[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So due to W7 hardware support dying down, I wanna go Ubuntu+W10(For

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: usergroup1.png (610KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
usergroup1.png
610KB, 1366x768px
So due to W7 hardware support dying down, I wanna go Ubuntu+W10(For games only)

I used to use Ubuntu in the late 2000s but the newer GUI Unity or whatever looks like eye cancer.

What's the easiest way to get the old UI back?
>>
Ubuntu Mate.
>>
>>58069139
Thanks anon.
>>
>>58069139
Yep this one. Ubuntu used to use GNOME back when it looked like your pic related. But ever since then GNOME has really changed its look a lot, so MATE is a project that is supposed to be just like what GNOME used to look like.
>>
Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu GNOME with gnome classic enabled, Xubuntu with a custom panel setup, it's p easypeasy to emulate the old Gnome 2 setup

I feel like a heretic for saying it's kinda shit tho desu, especially on 16:9 widescreen monitors
>>
>>58069305
>>58069386
The Linux community was nicer a few years ago when almost everyone used either Gnome 2 or Plasma 4 instead of the "millions" of forks that exist now.
>>
>>58069788
Agreed.

With most people working on or using one DE, most had answers for issues and/or were working on fixes for them.

Now, with everyone being their own special snowflake, it just dilutes the power of the crowd.
>>
>>58069083
> W7 hardware support dying down
Some specific examples?
>>
>>58069083
2 TASKBARS
>>
>>58069083
>So due to W7 hardware support dying down, I wanna go Ubuntu+W10(For games only)
It's a good idea, i also recommend to support game developers who supports linux when possible because that's the only way all of us can have some choice in the future.

>I used to use Ubuntu in the late 2000s but the newer GUI Unity or whatever looks like eye cancer.
>What's the easiest way to get the old UI back?
Try another DE, if you want the old gnome 2 try ubuntu mate, it's a fork of the DE you used to like.
>>
>>58069753
no it's macOS
>>
>>58069083
Use KDE.

Its way better than that outdated MATE trash
>>
>>58070094
Skylake? Retard.
>>
depends on what you like OP

desu arch-anywhere with cinnamon is comfty and it has AUR which makes things easier
>>
>>58071303
idk, Kubuntu was really buggy on my computer. Not sure if it's KDE that sucks or if it just sucks on Ubuntu

i second the people recommending MATE desktop. I installed it over my Kubuntu and haven't booted into the KDE environment since
>>
>>58069083
>So due to W7 hardware support dying down
What? It has security support for the next 3+ years from Microsoft and who knows when 3rd party software vendors will stop supporting it. People are still out there using XP and by the time 7 rolled around it really was outdated.
>>
>>58071762
kde is more resource intensive.

runs fine on my 5 year old laptop, though I did enforce full screen repaints in the display settings to get rid of artifacts that happened constantly.
>>
File: hardy-heron.jpg (340KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
hardy-heron.jpg
340KB, 800x600px
Feel like crying when I look at this desu
>>
>>58071781
>artifacts that happened constantly

exactly what my problem was. The PC it's installed on is very average, i5 integrated graphics, 4gb ddr3, nothing fancy. I might try the full screen repaints thing whenever I use it again
>>
>>58071323
It is supported now and this support will not go anywhere. It's just a bad meme.
>>
>>58071781
>>58071845
Weird, I have 0 issues with KDE and it's fancy stuff but I have issues with any other DE. Gnome 3 runs like complete crap.

AMD APU btw
>>
>>58071811
That was pretty much the perfect out-of-the-box desktop look. The feels.
>>
>>58072010
KDE runs pretty well generally, I think it's something to do with integrated or nvidia graphics that can cause issues, but it's an easy fix. Like I said even though it's probably the most resource heavy DE it runs without any issues on my old lappy.

I have to admit, the way they prefix all the bundled applications with "K" pisses me off more than it should.
>>
>>58072041
So cleverly and aesthetically designed, indeed
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.