[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't they actually teach computers in school... instead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 1481785427062.jpg (14KB, 238x192px) Image search: [Google]
1481785427062.jpg
14KB, 238x192px
Why don't they actually teach computers in school... instead of useless MS office skills that everyone forgets and just looks up on google?
>>
Because getting a CS degree and an Education degree is rare.

That leaves us with the Math teachers because Computers means logic means math, right?
>>
>>58065234
i take it you went to a state school.

there simply isn't demand for it, until it becomes a state or national requirement you will not see it outside of specialized classes where a school has taken there own initiative towards technology, and from what I've seen that normally ends poorly(e.g. I learnt web design, friends at another school learnt C99. neither of us gained any true understanding as these were task focused and not academic).
>>
>>58065332
I wish algebra was taught earlier in this country, QLD has a really fucking poor standard for math. I remember in year 10 they FINALLY introduced basic algebra at my school and it was hilarious because half the class had been taught it in primary school to a limited degree but not in a way that it could actually be applied.
>>
>>58065234

To keep people from asking too many questions like "can you really prove that Russia hacked the election?"
>>
>>58065441
>10th grade
>Algebra
Holy shit I'm so sorry for you, we were doing calculus 2 at that point.
>>
We learned enough to know if it interested you. Some C to show how memory worked but most the assignments were in JavaScript. This is more than the average person will ever need. But most the class zoned out and copied off the few who tried.

But basically everyone who tried was already interested in computers *before* the class. I'm not sure it helped.
>>
File: pic.jpg (95KB, 590x400px) Image search: [Google]
pic.jpg
95KB, 590x400px
>>58065477
yeah man, they haven't issued these rego plates for years.

That said I think i went to a particularly bad set of schools, literacy is pretty decent from everyone I've met, just don't ask them to solve x :^)
>>
File: 8641397838_9a2c78c259_o.png (41KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
8641397838_9a2c78c259_o.png
41KB, 1440x900px
>>58065234

They taught Turbo Pascal for DOS when i was in school. Funnest class ever! It's where i first learned about loops.
>>
I'm older, when I was in high school the only thing I was actually taught about computers that I didn't already know was how to use Microsoft Excel

they did introduce a programming class when I was a senior, and it was HTML
>>
>>58065234
Because in the workplace people are still fucking inept at using MS Office, gotta start somewhere to write those newfangled e-mails and shitty letters.
>>
>>58065234
my millennial brother has only used a computer a few times, all of which were at school when they force him to. He doesnt know shit about them at all.
its sorta weird desu, this generation is in a literal state of technological regression.
>>
>>58065441
Tbh, the high school algebra is the highest level math i use in my programming job, which is building crud apps and making decent money
>>
>>58068664
I am an older millieneal who started on dos, which forces you to get somewhat technical. That's my theory at least
>>
>>58068664
How the fuck does that even happen? How old is he?
>>
>>58068969
>>
>>58068664
I know some college-age people that don't know how to drive (and don't want to). I don't even know what this country is coming to.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (57KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
57KB, 1280x720px
For high school students?

Because normies would drop the class for being "too hard," school districts would consider it waste of money, etc. In the normal curriculum, at least.

You have to find some public occupational training program you can enroll in, night courses, etc taught by moonlighting teachers.
>>
>>58065234
because the average child is fucking retarded

give them something to work toward and they might fuck around with basic html

failing that it's smartphones and memes and big bang theory "nerdcore"
>>
In my elementary school they teach how to install gentoo. Pretty good imo
>>
>>58072067
Yea that shit always amazes me.
>>
>>58065477
Taking my Calculus 1 final today and I'm a Freshman at University. I feel cheated, I learned Algebra 2 in 11th grade
>>
>>58070265
He's not a millennial then.
>>
>>58075737
t-then what is he?
>>
>>58075981
Gen x or z
>>
>>58077448
>>58075981
Gen-Z, the fuck up that followed millennials.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.