[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"complete disconnection of the development process from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 10

File: 142347688891.jpg (361KB, 1881x1033px) Image search: [Google]
142347688891.jpg
361KB, 1881x1033px
>"complete disconnection of the development process from normal users."
>"Linux performance had dropped about two percentage points at every release, for a cumulative drop of about 12%."
>"bloated and huge"
>"many bugs identified in Linux are never fixed."
>"[Linux] looks like a garage job with duct tape"
>"Linux has never been about quality"
>"hibernate/suspend remains a problem with many laptops"
>"Most of the time the world of Linux tends to be anti-critical. If anybody in the community dares be critical, they get stomped upon."
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Linux
>>
this pretty much sums it all up.
>>
Still better than Windows or mac.
BSD is complete garbage.
>>
File: 1471009130153.jpg (95KB, 400x413px) Image search: [Google]
1471009130153.jpg
95KB, 400x413px
>Linux bloated and huge

TOPKEK pajeet, are you still assblasted from taking the botnet cock all day?
>>
>hardware drivers fully integrated into the kernel code
>>
>>58066984
>implying that he's lying
Even the Keyboard Warrior acknowledges
>>
>>58063697
$1.00 has been deposited into your windows account, pajeet.
>>
>>58066525
>>58067026
>>"Most of the time the world of Linux tends to be anti-critical. If anybody in the community dares be critical, they get stomped upon."
It never fails.
>>
>>58066999
Good trips, this is one of the main things keeping me away from Linux 2bh, some people think having more code in your kernel is a good thing but IMO it just increases the attack surface.
>>
>>58063697
Suspend and hibernation always worked flawlessly on my laptops. Hibernation was hit and miss on my desktop, but it's been working every time since 4.8.something. But then again I don't cheapen out and always buy hardware with good Linux support.
>>
>>58066525
>Still better than Windows
We're not in the XP/Vista era anymore. Windows 7-10 has shat all over Linux.
>>
>linux will never transition into a hybrid or microkernel
>it's just too big
>it's the X.org of kernel world (kek)
>the fucker know as Linus still believes that microkernels sucks
When a desktop based L4 OS who doesn't use Linux as user-mode program?
>>
>>58067105
>IMO it just increases the attack surface.
That's not just an opinion, it's fact.
Just look at kernel exploits in the past few years, a large majority of them involve exploiting code which the average user would never even use.

And for some reason Linus has no problem with this, and happily merges code from PooInLoo Corp(r) to allow their USB toilet flusher to function (even though as we all know, this code will never even be used)

And then Linuxtards spout "100 million lines of code!" as if it's a good thing.
>>
>>58067205
Linus believes that security errors are just errors and nothing less. He believes that they don't deserve too much attention.
This mean that he doesn't publish the error until is solved, who lefts sysadmins trusting the "security through obscurity" that this situation creates. He says is because he wants to avoid script kiddies to exploit the issue, but this also left the users and IT professionals without knowledge on how the fuck mitigate the effects of the bug.
Literally what Microsoft does, but shielded because "muh foss" "muh freedumbs" "muh keyboard warrior" and shit.
>>
>Con Kolivas, a former Linux kernel developer, compared some Windows kernel code to Linux code and was surprised at the difference in code quality

>The summary of my impression [after reading the Windows code] was that I was... surprised....the [Windows] code, as I saw it, was neat. Real neat. Extremely neat. In fact, I found it painful to read after a while. It was so neatly laid out that I found myself admiring it. It seems to have been built like an aircraft. It has everything that opens and shuts, has code for just about everything I've ever seen considered on a scheduler, and it's all neatly laid out in clean code and even comments. It also appears to have been coded with an awful lot of effort to ensure it's robust and measurable, with checking and tracing elements at every corner. I started to feel a little embarrassed by what we have as our own [Linux] kernel. The more I looked at the [Windows] code, the more it felt like it pretty much did everything the Linux kernel has been trying to do for ages. Not only that, but it's built like an aircraft, whereas ours looks like a garage job with duct tape by comparison....[Windows] looks like an excellent design for a completely different purpose. It's built like a commercial design for commercial purposes that have very different requirements than what most of us use Linux for, but it does appear to have been done so very well. It looks like a goddamn Star Destroyer, and the Linux kernel (scheduler) suddenly looks like the Millennium Falcon. Real fast, but held together with duct tape, and ready to explode at any minute.

Holy shit when a kernel developer puts it like that you start to get scared...
I'm honestly going to erase my Linux partition. I thought Linux was all about efficiency, speed and rock-solid code but it seems like its garbage after all.
>>
>>58063697
Some people has argued you need to "hack the matrix" to use linux. Now you're telling me that because now using operative systems like ubuntu are extremely easy to use for the average joe that's a bad thing?.

>"bloated and huge"
Compared to what? windows?, definitely not, maybe compared to DOS.

>"many bugs identified in Linux are never fixed."
Provide proof for this claim, in my own experience most bug in the kernel are patched and delivered immediately to linux distros while corporations like microsoft litterally begs to companies like google to not disclose found vulnerabilities as if they not have developers to fix them.

That a funny way to pronounce [Windows 10]. But seriously, at least linux has good customization, on windows you often need to modify system files for simple things and your changes are reverted if you dare to update.

>"Linux has never been about quality"
I can make claims like this too, look:
>windows has never been about quality, it always has been about milking their users either directly or by datamining them.

>"hibernate/suspend remains a problem with many laptops"
Probably the only decent point in this list but as you said, it depends on the hardware.

>"Most of the time the world of Linux tends to be anti-critical. If anybody in the community dares be critical, they get stomped upon."
It's sad to need to shield yourself from the start, it already makes your argument look weak. It's cheap, i can do it too, look:
>"It always happens, someone creates a thread bashing linux, when OP is BTFO the thread suddenly stops being bumped and it appears another similar thread."
>"Am i being telemarketed?"
Prove me wrong.

But seriously, we are at a point were you literally cannot criticize microsoft. I don't know about Mac but the windows fanatics communities are easily one of the most hostile places to be.
>>
>>58067098
>Hahaha, you can't call out my blatant FUD shitposting
>>
>>58067467
It never fails.
>>
>>58063697
Just came here to say that this picture is fucking horrible. Linux is nonfree software. Freedom isn't related to choices nor to beauty. Freedom means not being enslaved.
REEEEE as they say.
>>
>>58067484
So basically you're saying I can never argue against any shitposting, I have to be completely okay with it.
>>
>>58067453
>2007
>all those developers from different companies and all the contributions over the time doesn't counts.
>One develper steps down and one thousand joins, but that doesn't counts.
And i'm telling this assuming what he says can be proved true.
>>
>>58067455
>Some people has argued you need to "hack the matrix" to use linux. Now you're telling me that because now using operative systems like ubuntu are extremely easy to use for the average joe that's a bad thing?.
No, idiot. This means that developers don't do shit beyond their user case. This also means that if you find a bug, and they can't replicate easily, then you're fucked.
>Compared to what? windows?, definitely not, maybe compared to DOS.
Most components of the userland are too way big in comparition of what you find in similar OS.
And for the kernel, that's true too. The kernel is monolithic, and is too big. NT, for example, has almost all drivers and API separated in user space as mitigation measure.
>>
File: 1481537074247.png (119KB, 1338x937px) Image search: [Google]
1481537074247.png
119KB, 1338x937px
>>58066984
He's right on that actually.
Torvalds actually admitted that the performance of the kernel gets worse every day but the ever increasing hardware performance managed to balance it. This however will end soon as hardware performance doesn't increase as rapidly as it used to be. We already entered the diminshing returns territory.

>>58063697
This is not a valid complaint. If you want to stay in touch you do. It's not the developers responsibility to personally mail you with development notes.
>>
>>58067501
If you call arguing to "make fun of someone claim in meme arrows" then yes. You have to accept that you can't be critical of GNU/Linux.
But if you write a nice paragraph, perhaps you can't prove I'm wrong :^)
>>
>>58067501
I used to think astroturfing was not real, but now i'm completely convinced it is. There's enough people in need and the price per post is low enough to be able to hire an entire army of shills.

On the bright side this has a consequence: it becomes harder over the time to believe any positive criticism on microsoft's products.
>>
>>58067578
Repeat after me:
>>"Most of the time the world of Linux tends to be anti-critical. If anybody in the community dares be critical, they get stomped upon."
IT
NEVER
FAILS.
>>
File: 1480173518628.jpg (1MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1480173518628.jpg
1MB, 2000x1500px
>>58063697

>this thread

User and abuser of Linux since 1994 here:

This thread is hilarious.

Windows is complete trash, and always will be. Here's a thing you can do:

Install Windows and Linux on the same machine. Boot between the two. Observe the light on the network card when running Windows and Linux.

What, exactly, is Windows doing that it needs to promiscuously talk to all and sundry like a $5 (or cheaper) whore? Nothing useful as far as I have experienced.

oh sure, you /can/ lock down Windows, sort-of, (only if you run enterprise editions) but it's a pain in the arse. Locking down a Linux machine, by contrast, is ridiculously easy.
>>
>linux is critized
>hurr must be microsoft shills
OpenBSD4ever.
>>
File: 1478084180881.png (1MB, 1300x4704px) Image search: [Google]
1478084180881.png
1MB, 1300x4704px
>>58067453
>It seems to have been built like an aircraft.
Wew.

No wonder I'm scared shitless of flying when aircrafts are built like Microsoft Windows
>>
>>58067134
How's those forced, stateful and constantly failing updates because you're using failed legacyware in maintenance mode Chaim?
>>
>>58067555
>No, idiot. This means that developers don't do shit beyond their user case.
Would you mind to provide proof of this for all those developers?

>This also means that if you find a bug, and they can't replicate easily, then you're fucked.
In what way is this different for non-linux developers? be honest, if you're a developer and you cannot replicate a bug how do you fix it exactly?. i mean, you can theoretically "fix it" but you're blind because you was not able to test it. Please share knowledge.

>Most components of the userland are too way big in comparition of what you find in similar OS.
>And for the kernel, that's true too.
Under what standards? you're the one claiming this so i guess you can provide evidence, also even if true, provide evidence that the size affects it's users in a significant way. Sorry but i can only provide an opinion: IMHO linux is faster and snappier even if what you say it's true.

>The kernel is monolithic, and is too big.
It's monolithic but modular, modules are loaded on demand so the only resources you "waste" is some megas on the hard drive if any. You knew this right?. Also this is moot because a windows installation, for comparison, grows huge after some time compared to an ubuntu one just by updating it.

>NT, for example, has almost all drivers and API separated in user space as mitigation measure.
in what way linux is different?
http://www.embedded.com/design/operating-systems/4401769/Device-drivers-in-user-space
>>
>>58067593
>>58067682
see last point of >>58067455
It's sad to need to shield yourself from the start, it already makes your argument look weak. It's cheap, i can do it too, look:
>"It always happens, someone creates a thread bashing linux, when OP is BTFO the thread suddenly stops being bumped and it appears another similar thread."
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>58067707
Very underrated post. MS's bad programming practices are so well know to the point posts like >>58067453 seems like a forced retort.
>>
>>58067453
I use Con Kolivas' kernel downstream patches.

He breaks shit every 5-8 releases or so, leaving the system unbootable.

If I didn't like the scheduler so much (should be mainlined and properly maintained), I'd have dropped it like a hot potato long ago.
>>
>>58067455
>Provide proof for this claim, in my own experience most bug in the kernel are patched and delivered immediately to linux distros while corporations like microsoft litterally begs to companies like google to not disclose found vulnerabilities as if they not have developers to fix them.
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=67551
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/buglist.cgi?field0-0-0=bug_status&no_redirect=1&order=changeddate%2Cresolution%2Cbug_status%2Cbug_id%20DESC&query_based_on=&query_format=advanced&type0-0-0=substring&value0-0-0=OPEN
And the fucker in that article is talking about all the GNU/Linux shit, so this list can be augmented.
>That a funny way to pronounce [Windows 10]. But seriously, at least linux has good customization, on windows you often need to modify system files for simple things and your changes are reverted if you dare to update.
We aren't talking about Windows 10's. Besides that, the customization aspect is shit if that means that you have a fragile piece of shit os where they basic components are bolted together
>>"Linux has never been about quality"
I can make claims like this too, look:
>windows has never been about quality, it always has been about milking their users either directly or by datamining them.
How about forget Windows to avoid the issues in Linux?
For example, OpenBSD is always about quality. The code here is so beautiful that makes dead kittens come to live, compared to linux one.
>Probably the only decent point in this list but as you said, it depends on the hardware.
Granted.
>It's sad to need to shield yourself from the start, it already makes your argument look weak. It's cheap, i can do it too, look:
>Prove me wrong.
It never fails. Linux is critized and hordes of fanboys start to sprouting shit about windows.
>>
>>58063697

Linux no doubt has many problems. Its competition is worse. Yes, there are plenty of bugs that take ages to fix. It annoys the hell out of me that every so often in the middle of gaming, Linux will stop responding to inputs, keep whatever input I had been entering previously for a few seconds, and then turn off randomly. I have no idea what is causing this. But I'll digress, if you spot a security vulnerability in it, and raise a stink about it, it'll be patched within a day. Microsoft makes you wait until Patch Tuesday no matter what. Apple will make you wait 6 months, and then release a patch that doesn't work.

>>58067134

Windows 10 still does not have a proper package manager, and is a pain in the ass to develop software on.

>>58067492

>Linux is nonfree software
GPLv2 is nonfree? Under what definition?
>>
>>58067784
>For example, OpenBSD is always about quality. The code here is so beautiful that makes dead kittens come to live, compared to linux one.
Well too fucking bad it doesn't work on anything but routers and playstations.

But I get your point
>>
I like Linux and prefer it to w7 (w10 is absolute shit), you made a lot of good points (genuinely can't hibernate/suspend my laptop) but all in all I prefer it to windows, I use it for c++ programming, scientific documents, chemistry calculations and general casual use,

I like the fact that if I want to I can modify the system myself to do things
>>
>>58067748
You're making claims about some shit conspiracy, lad. I'm not. You should prove that there's microsoft astroturfing here, not me.
Besides that, every thread where linux is critized in a manner of another is filled with rabid fanboys sprouting shit about Windows, even when doesn't apply, even when the critics are BSD fags, even when the criticism comes from Linux guys, like the fucker who wrote the article.
This thread is the example of that. I already mentioned the shady practices of Linus about security and you still are talking about Windows issues.
Even when Microsoft has less bugs per product than Red Hat.
>>
>>58067828
Works perfectly in my Thinkpad X220.
But I get your point. OpenBSD development is slow as fuck, and doesn't get love like Linux does. This is an historical issue.
>>
>>58067784

>For example, OpenBSD is always about quality. The code here is so beautiful that makes dead kittens come to live, compared to linux one.

It would be nice to move to OpenBSD, if only it had any applications. Linux only just started getting support for fucking Steam games.
>>
>>58067784
>And the fucker in that article is talking about all the GNU/Linux shit, so this list can be augmented.
This doesn't provide proof for all the developers of the kernel or at least for a significant sample of them. You can just speculate at best.

Your second list is just a list of bugs, are you implying linux should be a project without bugs?
If there exists a method to create perfect code what would be the advantage of allowing people to study and improve the source code? perfect code doesn't need to be reviewed or improved.

>We aren't talking about Windows 10's.
But it's a good example of what you described IMO.

>Besides that, the customization aspect is shit if that means that you have a fragile piece of shit os where they basic components are bolted together
This is at best an opinion. Trying to sell the lack of a feature as something good doesn't convince me.

>How about forget Windows to avoid the issues in Linux?
I don't have experience with OSX or BSD but i have a lot of experience with windows, that's why i can talk about it.

Again, this is a very wide claim. How you measure quality? also you really think all linux developers wants to provide mediocre code? why you say this?

>It never fails. Linux is critized and hordes of fanboys start to sprouting shit about windows.
You need to compare different experiences, that's why i talked about windows. My point still stands, you're shielding yourself from the start and attacking a whole group of people because you know you cannot be proved wrong directly, that's why i think it's a weak argument.
>>
File: 1481373084488.jpg (68KB, 579x576px) Image search: [Google]
1481373084488.jpg
68KB, 579x576px
>>58063697
>>"complete disconnection of the development process from normal users."
True.

>>"Linux performance had dropped about two percentage points at every release, for a cumulative drop of about 12%."
Absolutely true confirmed by Torvalds.

>"bloated and huge"
Duh, it's not a microkernel.

It's the single biggest piece of community developer software where 20% of developers are indians, 30% do it the first time in their life and the remaining 50% are corporate fucks who show absolutely no regard to any guidelines whatsoever.
"That'll do" mentality is persistent across the programming world and is not exclusive to Linux.

>>"Linux has never been about quality"
Well focking mate thank god for Plan9.

>>"hibernate/suspend remains a problem with many laptops"
Manufacturer completely ignoring all standards and specification is not really a kernel developer's fault.

Torvalds is not the only person involved with development. Stop generalizing him as the entire community.

I've noticed that people who make silly statements like this usually do this after they were told to fuck off because of their ill-mannered attempt to help the linux community. It usually involves complaining about "muh gaymings" not working and the usual approach "well i'm no good at this but you are why isn't it fixed yet". Hardly helpful at all.

Here I adressed all the points like (I hope) the OP expected me to.
What do I win?
>>
>>58067816
It has non free blobs in the vanilla kernel.
>>
>>58067707
>>58067763

There's a difference between the code they'll let Pajeet touch, and the kernel. It doesn't matter if the code for some taskbar pop-up is shit.
>>
>>58067987
The kernel in Windows is responsible for drawing scrollbars on the screen.

If it's not Pajeet approach to the problem I don't know by what standards you're measuring the quality of the software.

You also seemed to miss an entire parargaph going on how they utterly failed to rewrite the kernel and after 10 years of trying they gave up and went back to XP.
>>
>>58067845
>You're making claims about some shit conspiracy, lad. I'm not.
It was an example, under your standards it would be true, think about it.

>You should prove that there's microsoft astroturfing here, not me.
You made a claim attacking a group of people to shield yourself from criticism. I provided an example of an argument that cannot be properly proved right or wrong because it's a self fullfiling prophecy and a confirmation bias.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-fulfilling_prophecy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

>Besides that, every thread where linux is critized in a manner of another is filled with rabid fanboys sprouting shit about Windows
The same happens when windows or OSX is criticized, you're just basically being intellectually dishonest.

>This thread is the example of that.
And there's hundreds of conversations over the internet that proves my point too if we follow your logic, please read the wikipedia links first.

>I already mentioned the shady practices of Linus about security and you still are talking about Windows issues.
It's hardly to take OP's post seriously, if you're OP you're being hypocritical.

>Even when Microsoft has less bugs per product than Red Hat.
Microsoft source is closed, you cannot claim this because you don't know if it's true.
>>
>>58068040
>The same happens when windows or OSX is criticized, you're just basically being intellectually dishonest.
This is a very good point
>>
>>58067919
>Your second list is just a list of bugs, are you implying linux should be a project without bugs?
No. I'm saying that a project so big, so memed, so proselitized like Linux shouldn't have bugs open for so long, even for shit little like that bugs I posted.
That's literally what FOSS zealots says what happens inside Microsoft.
>But it's a good example of what you described IMO.
And is a shielding tactic too.
>This is at best an opinion. Trying to sell the lack of a feature as something good doesn't convince me.
Well, enjoy your rootkit know as X.org and the Sieve that's Bash.
Not mentioning the absolute huge surface attack that the kernel has.
>I don't have experience with OSX or BSD but i have a lot of experience with windows, that's why i can talk about it.
Okey, talk about Windows, but I'll remember this:
Issues in Windows doesn't make the issues in Linux better.
>Again, this is a very wide claim. How you measure quality?
The clarity of the code, the size of it, the documentation of it, the control of it.
OpenBSD base code is easy to read and understand, doesn't use ugly shit and is well commented.
>also you really think all linux developers wants to provide mediocre code?
Yes.
>why you say this?
The quantity of the bugs in comparison with other projects, the size and quantity of the project. Mostly programmer in Linux are poo in loos and average losers who want to contribute to their waifu's OS.
They also don't audit their code, like OpenBSD does, they only read diagonally, see if that makes some silly bug and then is merged.
>You need to compare different experiences, that's why i talked about windows.
No, you should resort to Windows to talk about the issues on Linux, because they're self evident per se. Some are "FOSS" culture ones.
>My point still stands, you're shielding yourself from the start and attacking a whole group of people because you know you cannot be proved wrong directly
My point still stands.
>>
File: 1479995839263.gif (2MB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
1479995839263.gif
2MB, 380x285px
I hope you realize that /g/ is /v/eddit 2.0 and there are NO kernel developers in here so all your complaints (however right) not only worthless but a huge waste of your time.

Could you provide me with 1 reason that have driven your motivation to make this thread and 1 thing you wanted to achieve with it?
>>
>>58068040
>It was an example, under your standards it would be true, think about it.
You still don't prove shit. Congratulations.
>You made a claim attacking a group of people to shield yourself from criticism. I provided an example of an argument that cannot be properly proved right or wrong because it's a self fullfiling prophecy and a confirmation bias.
Wow, the fucking irony.
You're accusing my of confirmation bias when you fall on it too!
>The same happens when windows or OSX is criticized, you're just basically being intellectually dishonest.
Point granted.
>And there's hundreds of conversations over the internet that proves my point too if we follow your logic, please read the wikipedia links first.
Oh, the irony.
>It's hardly to take OP's post seriously, if you're OP you're being hypocritical.
See what I'm talking?
You can't accept that linux could have issues for begin. You call those acussations "not serious" even considering that some of these criticism we're made by Linux developers itself.
>Microsoft source is closed, you cannot claim this because you don't know if it's true.
I can claim it, because that's CVE says, not me.
Besides that, we can compare the OpenBSD case with Linux. Linux still comes bad anyways.
>>
>>58063697
I thought this is normal ,usually devs decide what they develop.
Sure it would be cool to listen to the users needs but then we would have sane Apple products.
And things like gui configured DWM or something.
>>
>>58068177
Make Lincucks see the light.
>>
>>58068110
>>58068234
>Besides that, we can compare the OpenBSD case with Linux. Linux still comes bad anyways.
>They also don't audit their code, like OpenBSD does
I think we already established that, why bring that up again?

When OpenBSD gets as much attention as Linux does and will be as usable as Linux is I think it would be fair to compare it.

But in it's current state?
>>
>>58068110
>No. I'm saying that a project so big, so memed, so proselitized like Linux
So i must understand that what it bothers you is the fact that most of the publicity done to linux on the desktop is mouth to mouth? why doesn this fact changes your opinion about the development of the software? in what way is related?

>shouldn't have bugs open for so long, even for shit little like that bugs I posted.
There's no perfect software, at least the open source allows third parties to scrutinize the code and provide patches, that by itself it's already an advantege, that's my point.

>That's literally what FOSS zealots says what happens inside Microsoft.
What?

>And is a shielding tactic too.
Let's see the original claim:
This is a very wide claim and an opinion at best, therefore it can be issued to any piece of software and the same way i cannot modify your perception you cannot modify mine's. You're not providing a reasoning, just the claim itself so i can issue the same claim for windows and you cannot prove me wrong for the same reasons i cannot prove you wrong. The bad part is that hardly anyone will take seriously the argument.

>Well, enjoy your rootkit know as X.org and the Sieve that's Bash.
Provide evidence of this claims please.

>Not mentioning the absolute huge surface attack that the kernel has.
Provide evidence. Look, it's obvious that for every line of code is written there's the possibility of introducing a new bug. Please provide a way to introduce new features in a codebase without writting new code please.

>Issues in Windows doesn't make the issues in Linux better.
No, but as i said a point of comparison is necessary.

>The clarity of the code, the size of it, the documentation of it, the control of it.
I agree.

>OpenBSD base code is easy to read and understand, doesn't use ugly shit and is well commented.
As i mentioned previously i cannot comment of this but i'll assume it's true.
>>
>>58063697
>Linux
>Freedom
pick one
>>
>>58068250
And you thought that a bunch of children installing archlinux on their virtual machines in the middle of their temporary ban in overwatch for calling someone a "nigger" is a great place to start?
>>
>>58068110
>The quantity of the bugs in comparison with other projects, the size and quantity of the project.
You're bassically saying it's a bad project because it's big? do you grasp how many devices they need to try to support?

>Mostly programmer in Linux are poo in loos and average losers who want to contribute to their waifu's OS.
Ok, i was trying to have a decent conversation looking at how you seem to believe what you said, however i seriously hope you're not issuing this claim seriously, a big part of the kernel developers are paid by a lot of different companies.

>They also don't audit their code
AFAIK they do, and not only the developers but external parties too.

>like OpenBSD does, they only read diagonally, see if that makes some silly bug and then is merged.
You cannot prove this, you cannot read minds, the best you can do is to interview a sample but still....

>No, you should resort to Windows to talk about the issues on Linux, because they're self evident per se.
Linux tries to improve constantly, as i said i haven't used OSX or BSD but at least compared to windows i find it much better.

>Some are "FOSS" culture ones.
wut?

>My point still stands.
how?
>>
kernel bloat is a stupid ass argument. it doesn't make it harder to maintain. it doesn't make execution of anything slower. at worst it takes up a few extra megabytes of storage.

probably just some bullshit bsd snowflakes like to repeat to each other.
>>
>>58068452
It's not true.
>>
>>58068234
>You still don't prove shit. Congratulations.
It does even if you don't see it.

>You're accusing my of confirmation bias when you fall on it too!
It was an example, you don't like it when it's used against you does it?

>Oh, the irony.
See the previous point.

>You can't accept that linux could have issues for begin.
I previously adressed this, please answer the following question:
>If there exists a method to create perfect code what would be the advantage of allowing people to study and improve the source code? perfect code doesn't need to be reviewed or improved.

>You call those acussations "not serious" even considering that some of these criticism we're made by Linux developers itself.
do you mean >>58067453?

>I can claim it, because that's CVE says, not me.
It's an unfair comparison, only microsoft can find bugs directly in the code and the development rhythm is not nearly the same, it's abvious there will be more bug reports on linux.

>Besides that, we can compare the OpenBSD case with Linux. Linux still comes bad anyways.
Probably but i cannot comment a lot on this, linux at the moment is obviously much bigger and it'll obviously will have much more bugs but this also means it's a lot more active and with a lot more contributors.
>>
>>58068478
>internal (((Intel))) study

jewtel has been colluding with microcucks for years of course they are going to shittalk linux
>>
>>58068543
intel is one of the core contributors to the linux kernel actually.
>>
>>58068577
Expect that contribution to go to 0 now that ME has been cracked.
>>
>>58068596
Well contributions do not stop them being a bunch of kikes
>>
>>58063697
linux has its beauties and fails
like windows
like mac
like bsd and even things like terry's enlightened OS
real programmers/computer ethusiasts learn to use all of them
>>
>>58068577
you seriously think those "contributions" aren't part of what is decreasing the performance in their "internal study"?

jewtel cares only for money, and linux makes them 0 (negative) money while partnering with Apple and MS makes them trillions
>>
>>58067105
Like the scrollbar being integrated into the windows kernel?
>>
>>58067816
>GPLv2 is nonfree? Under what definition?
The License doesn't make a program automatically free software. Linux includes nonfree (binary only) kernel blobs.

Also stop tripcode posting, faggot.
>>
>>58068767
>The License doesn't make a program automatically free software. Linux includes nonfree (binary only) kernel blobs.
It's not obligatory to ship the blobs on a distro, those blobs has it's own proprietary license but that doesn't means the code under GPL is not free.
>>
what's with all these anti-linux/pro-windows threads lately? pajeets are out in full force
>>
>>58068803
i feel the same.
>>
>>58068802
vanilla linux comes with blobs included, you actually need to deblob it to have no blobs (like debian does it, for example)
>>
>>58068827
but as i said, that doesn't means the GPL code is non free.
>>
>>58066525
Okay, kid

>>58067828
It's worked on every computer I've tried it on, even supports my computers' touchscreens and pen.
>>
>>58068871
"Works on my machine" is not exactly a good argument isn't it?
>>
>>58067134
Are you fucking kidding? Windows 8 and 10 are what spurred me to abandon Microsoft.
>>
>>58068916
I never said it was, you fucking dumbass. I'm just pointing out that there are plenty of machines that OpenBSD supports. Out of the five computers I've used it on everything's been supported on every one with no intentions of running OpenBSD when I bought the hardware. Sure it's anecdotal, but given it's worked on 100% of the hardware I've tried it on, you can't say it's good based on such a small sample size but you can definitely conclude that there are desktops and laptops it works great on.
>>
>>58067134
Windows 7 and 8 have no drivers. Windows 10 is NSA Botnet SpywareOS which no sane person should ever use.
>>
>>58067707
Hilarious, but...
>Believing anything on IRC
>>
>>58067707
jesus it wasnt windows kernel code
just read the damn article before you type
>>
>>58067816
>gaming on linux
hang yourself
>>
>>58069094
>haha yes guys the kernel is top notch it's EVERYTHING ELSE that we have absolutely no quality standards haha
>>
>>58066525
netbsd and freebsd are pretty fast actually
openbsd is a bit tricky but very simple
>>
>>58063697
Why did this thread got so quiet when OP got BTFO? was >>58067748 right? i see this often, just saying.
>>
>>58066525
>>58066984
>>58067026
>>58067656
>>58068012
>>58068803
>>58068992
kek
>>
Linux isn't free. YOU are the product. YOU are the useful idiot promoting communism.
>>
this thread is gay but not because of op
>>
>>58067134
>Windows 7-10 has shat all over Linux.
not if you actually want to make use of your computer
7 uses at least 600MB ram and 900MB pagefile to JUST werk™
>>
File: Selection_005.png (68KB, 1664x184px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_005.png
68KB, 1664x184px
>>58067453
>>Con Kolivas, a former Linux kernel developer, compared some Windows kernel code to Linux code and was surprised at the difference in code quality
>Windows kernel
OP why are you lying?
>>
Microsoft spreading FUD about linux bcuz they wanted in on that server game
>In 2004, Microsoft initiated its Get the Facts campaign, which specifically criticized Linux server usage. In particular, it claimed that the vulnerabilities of Windows are fewer in number than those of Linux distributions, that Windows is more reliable and secure than Linux, that the total cost of ownership of Linux is higher (due to complexity, acquisition costs, and support costs),

But that's nothing because they really /really/ want to maintain their dominance in the desktop realm
>Internal Microsoft reports from the Halloween documents leak have presented conflicting views. Particularly documents from 1998 and 1999 ceded that "Linux ... is trusted in mission critical applications, and – due to its open source code – has a long term credibility which exceeds many other competitive OS's", "An advanced Win32 GUI user would have a short learning cycle to become productive [under Linux]", "Long term, my simple experiments do indicate that Linux has a chance at the desktop market ...", and "Overall respondents felt the most compelling reason to support OSS was that it 'Offers a low total cost of ownership (TCO)'."

>"An advanced Win32 GUI user would have a short learning cycle to become productive [under Linux]", "Long term, my simple experiments do indicate that Linux has a chance at the desktop market ..."
This triggers the microsoft shill, hence this thread.
>>
>>58067098
> Not an argument.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.