[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay /g/ i am getting into ham radio and im thinking of goin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: radio.jpg (41KB, 600x367px) Image search: [Google]
radio.jpg
41KB, 600x367px
Okay /g/ i am getting into ham radio and im thinking of going to one of them clubs i used a site to help me find a club i might go to.

[spoiler]https://.org/services/clubfinder/[/spoiler]

bottom line short im wondering if any of you guys have or ever have been to one of these clubs?

What should i expect how old will the people be there? Will they call me a newfag or some shit like most tech groups.

I have never joined a club for something i like so give me an idea of what to expect.

Do i need a license to join ??
>>
you need a ham license
>>
>>58062851
fug

you need a test to get one right ?

are the questions general knowledge about radios or hard
>>
>>58062788
>What should i expect how old will the people be there?
I know one of them dudes and he's around 60. He sometimes brags about how he talked with a guy somewhere far away and I'm like WOOOOW.
>>
>>58064714
does he know about the internet
>>
>>58064752
Yeah, he knows of it, but to be fair - would you join a club for 60 year olds ON THE INTERNET?
>>
>>58064820
are you saying i should not go
>>
>>58062788

I got my Extra license on the first try. All the questions for every level are available online. It's just a matter of brain dumping everything. The levels go: Technician, General, and Extra. You should have no problem learning everything you need for the technician class license within 3-4 hours. The technician license lets you access all the frequencies that you would need when you're starting out. The higher your class, the more frequencies you can access and the shorter your call sign will be. The Extra lets you access the frequencies that go all around the world.

The people in my club are all retired white guys with a gut. They're very friendly though. Ham radio has a certain gentleman's code that requires you to be polite to everyone. Ham is sort of a social group for NEET oldfags.
>>
>>58064871
so were do i go to take the test . how much does it cost
>>
>>58064825
Go, they are generally friendly and like new people in the hobby. They were kinda like computer nerds of the early years. HAM was really high tech back in the day, and requires technical knowledge.
>>58064871
General class will get him on HF, world wide.
>>58064940
Your local HAMS administer the test
Arrl.org is where you need to go.
Or eham.net
They have study books. Get the general class one, or pirate it or buy used.
>>
>>58064940

Your local ham radio group will hold tests at regular intervals. The test doesn't cost anything, but the ham group usually charges 10-15 dollars per session to cover their costs. That means you can take the Tech, General, and Extra tests all in one session and only pay one fee.

There's an Android app that has all the test questions, as well as a few websites that have them all. The Tech license has 30-40 questions out of a bank of 400 possible questions.
>>
>>58064992
thanks for the info i will look into this even more now.

honestly i just wanna make a walkie talkie so me and my man child friends can talk even in the events of a war

just out of curiosity if i set my stuff up without a license what would happen
>>
>>58065108
You get, and have to use a call sign very regularly on the air. You will stand out if you have a fake one, or use none at all. There is a certain language and order HAMs use to talk that you need to learn. There are certain frequencies you can use and ones you never ever transmit on. You need to know these. If you go on the air and act like a ignorant noob, you will get called out. Just get the study book. Get your ticket. Its not hard.
>>
>>58065108

>what happens without a license

Nothing really. You're supposed to identify yourself by your call sign (FCC license number) at regular intervals. They could locate you and fine you, but it's costly to locate you and they don't really bother unless you're on a military frequency or you're being obnoxious and disrupting other users.
>>
>>58062788
>ham radio club
Isnt the whole point that loser basement dwellers have comms with strangers and dont see the other person? I thought the appeal was in NOT realizing how fat and autistic your radio friends are. Either way congrats on finding the most autistic /g/-related hobby ever
>>
File: eliot.jpg (13KB, 258x289px) Image search: [Google]
eliot.jpg
13KB, 258x289px
>>58065255
ham radio is for supreme gentlemen
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.