[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the future for programming? Can it actually be that Mozilla

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: rust-logo.png (24KB, 209x208px) Image search: [Google]
rust-logo.png
24KB, 209x208px
Is this the future for programming? Can it actually be that Mozilla has done something good again for the first time in 20 years?
>>
>>58057734
Firefox is great tho, and their libre browser is TOR's upstream.

We had a thread about Rust some time ago, which pretty much summed it up: it's fast, secure, cargo is nice, it makes low-level development finally accessible and that's great. There are people who aim at doing a kernel in Rust, or who aim at contributing to the Linux kernel in Rust.

There has been a debate on whether C would still be the only way to properly do low-level development or not, to which I don't have an answer.

It's not recommended for enterprise embedded software development AFAIK, Go or Java would be preferred over that.
>>
Firefox will be good again once they merge most of the functionality from servo.
>>
>>58057734
I've messed around with Rust a little bit.
It's kind of nice, but there are a few things which are a real pain in the ass, with the main one being the ownership system.
It just gets in the way most of the time, and you have to try and wrangle it into doing what you want.

Also, as for being a C replacement, I don't think Rust has what it takes.
>>
>>58057734
.unwrap().unwrap().unwrap()
>>
>>58057734
>contributing to the Linux kernel in Rust
that's not happening ever
>>
>>58059618
I bet there will be all kinds of stuff in the kernel once L T is burried.
>>
>>58059618

True, but I guess there's nothing preventing people from writing LKM in Rust.
>>
>>58059668
you're right but it'd never get upstreamed.
>>
>>58059709

Yup.
Not that important, though.

I'm dealing daily with Binary Support Packages built by vendors where their proprietary drivers (mostly written in C++) end up with kernel oopses or kernel panics.

At least that would happen less and less.
Of course not everyone is going to take advantage of this, but I'm sick and tired when my team (working on middleware) ends up waiting for the hardware vendor to fix their bugs in the next version.

Iterator invalidations or use after free in the middleware are too much of a concern for us, it would be nice if that kind of thing did not happen in kernel space.
>>
>>58059160
You mean IF they do it? :^)
>>
>>58057734
Yes! They may be ruining firefox with every update (something that's truly awe-inspiring on account of firefox being unimaginably shit nowadays), but somehow they managed to pull off rust. Rust is genius, it's the best language ever made by far. Not perfect, but unfortunately we're not getting perfection this century.
>>
>>58059641
There will be 50 different kernels.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.