[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Linux fags BTFO >If you run a mainstream distribution

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: stop.jpg (81KB, 456x386px) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
81KB, 456x386px
>Linux fags BTFO
>If you run a mainstream distribution of Linux on a desktop computer, there's a good chance security researcher Chris Evans can hijack it when you do nothing more than open or even browse a specially crafted music file.
http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/12/fedora-and-ubuntu-0days-show-that-hacking-desktop-linux-is-now-a-thing/
>>
Won't selinux catch this though?
>>
>>58057251
>selinux
Nobody uses that, plus it's made by the NSA and can't be trusted.
>>
>>58057125
I run Arch Gnu/Linux.
>>
>requires a user to download and access an audio file to work
So, there's nothing to worry about.
>>
>>58057261
Fedora comes with a fully configured and enabled selinux. They update the ruleset and everything.
>>
>>58057485
I run Fedora Scientific, though, I'm on Tails atm.
>>
>>58057125
>yet ANOTHER gstreamer problem
Wow, color me surprised (not really).

These freedesktop guys need to get their act together
>>
>>58057512
Bruv, step off.
>>
>>58057125
So, in a very specific instance, you will be able to hijack a computer that runs linux. That's fair. I take it that MS and Apple have defeated this, as well as absolutely everything that is similar to this? Or is it just a naked man pointing out and laughing at a chink in the armor of a knight?
>>
>>58057587
More like Linux desktop releases have had less attacks due to less popularity than anything else.
>>
>>58057686
It also has to do with just being far more secure in general

Windows is such a joke
>>
>>58057686
While this is not untrue, that's not the end of it. Linux distributions are modular, whereas Windows is not (Not sure on Apple). The modular makeup of linux allows the system to limit damage done to it, whereas Windows allows pretty much everything admin privileges, letting malware cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war without any real defense built into the OS.
>>
>>58057686
You do know that Linux coding is superior, because it doesn't rely on the same 'small' pool of programmers?
>>
>>58057686
And if you want to be extremely safe, connect to the Internet through a VM.
>>
>>58057741
This. Windows UAC, available on Vista and later, tries to emulate Linux by asking whether you want an application to have admin privileges (only without needing to enter an admin password), but, unlike Linux, almost EVERYTHING needs admin privileges, so you wind up being super annoyed and ignoring it the vast majority of the time. Meanwhile, Linux doesn't really have that issue. The lay man using Mint, for example, will pretty much only need to enter the sudo password when applying updates (which need admin access for obvious reasons), changing system settings manually (a pretty rare thing after the initial setup), or downloading something from the software manager (which asks for your password when you click to open the manager, and is curated like the iphone's store, albeit a lot more pathetic). Therefore, if they happen to be surfing the web, and something pops up asking for admin privileges, they know something is up, because that doesn't normally happen.

Windows, on the other hand (at least on Vista and 7, it may have changed in 8 and 10) had that UAC pop up once every time you clicked on something on the desktop, whether it was opening a web browser, or launching a game. Therefore, a UAC pop up is much less likely to be treated with suspicion. This leads to people treating it like an annoyance, rather than the warning it was intended to be.
>>
>>58057824
>The lay man using Mint,
The layman will have to have Mint installed for him.
Then he won't be able to figure out how to use it.
>>
>>58057125
Hackers can always get into the system. Linux is super secure, but humans can do lots of stupid shit.

But if you run a OS like Qubes OS then it does not matter if hackers get into the system. If someone hacks a windows machine or a mac then youre fucked on the other hand.
>>
>>58059039
I consider myself a layman, only ever knowing windows, and switched to Mint with the smallest amount of effort.
>>
File: lol.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>58057125
>there's a good chance
>>
libgme already patched on arch linux. No longer an issue.

How fast would microsoft update something like this?
>>
>>58059039
The layman can use a reasonably well configured Linux distro without noticing much other than it looks different. It's the people that fancy themselves technical because they've memorised a few shortcuts that get into trouble, because things being slightly different ruins their whole workflow. And trying to "fix" it is where they will fuck up.
>>
>>58057587
This is a good allegory
>>
>>58057499
>Tails
>infinite flashdrives
>>
>>58059039
A layman can't install Windows by himself either.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.