[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's happening to my GPU /g/ ? The display suddenly turns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20161217_085107.jpg (4MB, 3629x2722px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161217_085107.jpg
4MB, 3629x2722px
What's happening to my GPU /g/ ? The display suddenly turns off while I'm working, or I see these red lines all over the screen. This came up after a restart.

Is my HDMI cable bad ? Or is my GPU kill ?
>>
your video ram is kill

time to get a replacement
>>
>>58042688
Or time to get a heatgun and reflow the chips.
>>
>>58042650
Got cats? vacuum out your case once in a while. Maybe replace the video card before it kills everything.
>>
>>58042650
Well you could try a different cable, but it might help to actually say what card you have.

>>58042866
That's like saying he could just solder on new chips if the old chips are broken. It's called bad advice.

Here's even worse advice for the op, just pop that sucker in the oven for about 30 minutes at 375, make sure you remove all capacitors first though! And if you have an internal thermometer make sure to sit the probe 2 inches inside the heatsink to check for doneness.
>>
>>58042890
Nope no cats. But it has been a while since I cleaned the case. But how does dust cause this ?
>>
>>58042936
Dust will eventually block airflow and cause heat to build up, but generally you'd have to have never touched the case for a couple of years to see any noticeable degradation of performance.

If there is so much dust on the card, the dust can actually destroy the fan motor itself from the weight of the dust buildup. But generally the weighing down on the fan in general will most likely prevent heat movement.

If that happens you can also bet that your case's air holes are also being blocked and causing air flow issues as well.
>>
>>58042935
>proposes the oven method over the heatgun
The heatgun is safer and allows for more localized intervention.

Me and my father have been keeping alive a 8800GT that died 3 years ago.
Resurrected 12 times and counting. Still going great (until next time it dies)
>>
>>58042935
Trying a different cable.

>pop that sucker in the oven for about 30 minutes at 375
No thanks
>>
It's haunted.
>>>/x/
>>
>>58042994
So what exactly are you proposing ?
>>
>>58042994
>12 times

John I think it's trying to tell you something.
>>
>>58043078
Heatgun over the ram chips and gpu, covering the rest with aluminium and following the usual methods, read some guides online to know details and precautions.

If it breaks again too soon, you can try extending the heating time a few minutes more. There are various kinds of heatguns so there's some trial and error to find the sweet spot.

Remember to let it rest 30 minutes after the cooking, before reassembling. Do not touch things before that. Unless you desire to experience regret, that is.

If you decide to do the GPU be sure to have some thermal paste at the ready.
>>
>>58043099
Yes, it tells me I need to cook longer :^)
>>
>>58043167
Are you jewish or black
>>
>>58043416
Neither, just a Warbros member
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.