[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some features you wish your OS had, that other OS'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: woot1.jpg (39KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
woot1.jpg
39KB, 480x480px
What are some features you wish your OS had, that other OS' have - or what are some features you wish other OS' had, that your OS has?

Having used FreeBSD since the early 2000s, I wish more systems would have containers as secure as jails and would impliment dtrace or something as powerful for debugging.
>>
Networking
>>
I wish Linux had the feature of having actually useful and not shit software like other OSs do
>>
>containers
systemd nspawn
>>
>>58041703
The BSD netstack is pretty great, yeah. It's even used on the two Mars rovers, courtesey of Wind River Systems formerly known as part of freebsdmall.com.

>>58041750
Not quite the same thing and also not as secure, also involves systemd which is something I intend to avoid like the plague.
>>
>>58042078
>not as secure
How are jails more secure?
>involves systemd
An alternative would be LXC containers.
>>
>>58042092
>How are jails more secure?
Aside from having been designed with security in mind, rather than security as an afterthought, here's a few things:

systemd-nspawn only impliments filesystem virtualization and process seperation, not user (and more importantly, superuser) seperation. Jails are effectively a whole guest OS that's indistinguishable from a host OS, except the kernel itself.
And it's a matter of record that not only has noone escaped from a jail yet, but the developer of jails is very interested in having people do so.

Also, there's plenty interesting to read about the philosophy behind it, specifically what a lot of linux containers miss: http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1017001

>An alternative would be LXC containers.
Has the same problems of other containers on linux, that they're not designed with security in mind from the beginning.

Incidentally, that seems to be a very common thing with Linux stuff, that security is an afterthought.

Also, it seems to me as if systemd-nspawn isn't necessarily intended to persist across reboots, whereas jails are. All my servers with public-facing processes run in jails, so even if someone uses an exploit to get access to the jail, I can quickly revert it to its last known-good state (yay zfs and snapshots) and patch the exploit with a diff. Even forkbombing can be prevented with rctl.

Onto the topic at hand, I wish FreeBSD would impliment W^X like OpenBSD has - I know it's something that's being looked into, but it may take quite a while before we get it.
>>
>>58042240
>except the kernel itself.
It should be noted that the kernel isn't present in the jail.
>>
>>58042240
Thanks for the info.
>Also, it seems to me as if systemd-nspawn isn't necessarily intended to persist across reboots, whereas jails are. All my servers with public-facing processes run in jails, so even if someone uses an exploit to get access to the jail, I can quickly revert it to its last known-good state (yay zfs and snapshots) and patch the exploit with a diff. Even forkbombing can be prevented with rctl.
Snapshots are supported with BTRFS. You can pair them with systemd-nspawn.
>>
>>58042268
Yes, but unless you want just a mirror, I'd recommend staying the fuck away from BTRFS.
>>
>>58042294
>I'd recommend staying the fuck away from BTRFS
Why? I'm using it on my laptop. Of course, I do backups.
>>
>>58042311
Here's why: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID56 - https://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg55161.html has more info from when it was discovered.
>>
>>58042318
Yeah, I know RAID5/6 is broken, I'm not using RAID at all.
>>
Oh, another thing I want in FreeBSD, from Solaris this time, is their sharecifs per-dataset property which makes samba sharing effortless.

>>58042335
Ah, so you're just using it for mirroring? Please don't tell me you're striping your data without redundancy.
>>
>>58042356
>sharecifs per-dataset property
In ZFS, naturally. It was added after Oracle un-CDDL'd ZFS, I believe.
>>
>>58042335
Completely off-topic, but how long did it take you to generate that tripcode? It's pretty great.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.