[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it best to avoid Smart TVs? I'm thinking of getting a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: smartv.png (556KB, 1700x1171px) Image search: [Google]
smartv.png
556KB, 1700x1171px
Is it best to avoid Smart TVs? I'm thinking of getting a 40" TLC Roku TV, but was wondering if there are better alternatives in the sub-$300 range.
>>
>>58040804
If you already have a spare pc, there's no point to a smart TV.
>>
>>58040911
I have a 15" laptop and chromecast, so I figured that might be the case. Any recommendations for regular TVs?
>>
I don't think they still make TV's without the gimmick.
You should watch local content anyway.
If you are watching netflix, do you really care if samsung AND netflix knows your movie preferences?
>>
>>58041051
if i were to recommend a brand, it would be samsung. i've had mine since 2007 and it works great. however, you need to do your homework on these. stick to major brands and read LOTS of reviews and tests.
>>
>>58040804
I don't like the idea of a smart TV, simply because it's up to the manufacturer to support it. Don't get me wrong, I use a standalone Roku myself. But go to the wikipedia page, and see how long each piece of hardware is supported before it gets kicked to the curb. The first Roku Stick (Model 3500) was released in 2014. It's not being updated anymore, and it's borderline unusable with the sheer amount of lag. Ditto for the Roku 1/SE (2710) and Roku 2 (2720).

I don't have a smart TV, but because of how quickly these stream boxes seem to become obsolete, I don't want one. I wouldn't want to have to replace a TV once every couple of years because the streaming functions get too laggy, and go to shit. This doesn't mean that this happens (I honestly have no clue), but replacing a refurbished Roku 3 that I got on Amazon for 60 bucks in 2013 with a Roku Ultra that I got for 110 bucks in 2016 is cheaper than buying a new 45" Smart TV.
>>
>>58041051
Samsung and Sony are the only two TV brands I will purchase.
>>
TLC probably makes the same TV without a Roku for cheaper.

Get that one so you can swap out the Roku when it's old and busted, or just use a Chromecast
>>
>>58041105
I have a panasonic that's been pretty good, but i think i'd go for a Sony next.

One major minus against Samsung is that they have ads in their smart TV interface.
>>
File: htct 100.jpg (101KB, 440x330px) Image search: [Google]
htct 100.jpg
101KB, 440x330px
>>58041239
I have a Sony KDL-46R453A. Got it in 2012 on sale for like 300 bucks. Video was great compared to my old LCD from Olevia. Sound was shit, though, so I dropped another 80 bucks to get the Sony HTCT-100. If you're looking for 120 hz, that sound bar won't do it for you, but at 60 hz, the value can't be beat, even today.
>>
>>58040804
Best (woot, refurb) electronic purchase I ever made. They did a great integration job, even the menus for external inputs are great. Same roku remote, only the volume buttons actually do something (unlike headset roku remotes... Why the fuck can't they lower the volume of the device without headphones?)
>>
>>58040911
Dumbest fucking answer ever. The TCL is as thin as my finger, and uses so little power its a joke. Roku TCL plus a quality HD antenna and get the fuck out.
>>
>>58040804
I have a Sharp Roku TV that I got nearly a year ago and it's a great budget TV. I am a Time Warner Cable subscriber and it's nice being able to watch live tv without getting raped by the TWC Jew for box rental fees.
>>
>>58040804
B O T N E T
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.