[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be me >was 12 >fell for VB meme >am 19 now >know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

File: vb-header.png (57KB, 420x261px) Image search: [Google]
vb-header.png
57KB, 420x261px
>be me
>was 12
>fell for VB meme
>am 19 now
>know VB really well
>I can write fucking anything in VB
>simulations, neural networks, bots, you name it
>too fucking stubborn to learn anything outside of this cuck language

Why does this shit even exists? Is its sole purpose to cuck kids wanting to learn programming right from the get go?
>>
File: 1474997926073.jpg (190KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
1474997926073.jpg
190KB, 640x800px
It solely exists so Microsoft can stay relevant with their certified .NET developers. You got cucked son, better start learning Hindu.
>>
>>58027873
>too fucking stubborn
So, you're the problem. Thanks for sharing
>>
>>58027926
You never get that feel of just wanting to start on a project you know how to write, instead of learning a brand new language, and then starting. That's the main issue I'm facing.
>>
>>58027873
same situation for me. started learning C++ at the age of 11 and now at the age of 20 I know it really well. though, I also refuse to learn something else. the only difference is that C++ is fucking fast and platform independent
>>
>>58027873
>Why does this shit even exists? Is its sole purpose to cuck kids wanting to learn programming right from the get go?

Literally that is exactly correct
>>
>>58027873
Maybe you're not exactly stubborn, just too deep in your comfort zone. Push yourself.

I started with YABASIC, the god-awful version on the PS2 demo disc that shipped with the console, of all things. VB6 from there, and there I stayed for about three years. Really struggled with C/C++ initially and even gave up a few times, but here I am ~13 years later with language knowledge spread too thin and wide, if anything. I'm pretty sure I've forgotten most of what I knew about VB, thinking about it.

OTOH I see VB.NET jobs posted a couple of times a week where I live, so if it's the same in your area just roll with it and rake in those sweet wageslave bux. Ain't nobody gonna hire us to write Go / Clojure / Erlang / <memehipsterlanguagename> any time soon.
>>
>>58027873
You just suck thats the problem.
>>
What's the problem with this language ?
>>
>>58028240
>niche pseudo-english syntax
>only language that really resembles it is LUA
>C-based syntaxes are pretty foreign to anyone using this shit
>verbose as fuck

don't even try
>>
Start learning C#, OP.

The syntax is pretty wildly different, but they both use the .NET framework, which is something at least. I've done a little VB in my day, and while it is pretty dramatically different from C#, I still feel like I had a slight leg-up since the framework was all the same.

Also, C# pays much better, and you have many more career opportunities with it.
>>
>>58027873

>be 12 also
>even bought some VB books
>made shittons of programs in VB
>really enjoyed how you can easily make GUI

I want to be young again
>>
>>58028307
>C# pays much better

>wanting to be a slave
>>
>>58028580
I know this is trolling, but please explain to me why you think him learning C# is "making him a slave".

I'm guessing you are going to reference M$FT, muh closed source, muh Windows dependency, muh proprietary framework, etc. Still, I eagerly anticipate your response :^)
>>
>>58027873
You can't write neural networks in VB.
>>
>>58028624
well YOU obviously can't.
>>
>>58028609
I think he was just going for
>wage slave
>>
>>58028624
I'm not OP, but why not?
>>
>>58028636
Ah, that's lame. Oh well, maybe next time.
>>
>>58027873
Same here anon except that i realized that vb is a meme when i was 14
>>
>>58027873
Tsk tsk, you really can't teach a VB programmer new tricks... Have you considered F#, scala or ocaml?
>>
>>58027873
Learn C# if you want to advance
>>
>>58028609
Not him but i prefer to use multi-platform tools when possible. When MS's tools are good they are not the only good tools and i don't see any advantage on locking myself to one ecosystem and giving microsoft exclusivity for free.

>I'm guessing you are going to reference M$FT, muh closed source, muh Windows dependency, muh proprietary framework, etc. Still, I eagerly anticipate your response :^)
If you assumed that why you attempted a shame tactic instead of a reasoned answer?
>>
>>58027941
Make learning a new language the project. Shit isn't hard if you already know programming.
>>
>>58028624
You can write them even in CSS(since it became Turing complete), stop spouting bullshit.
>>
>>58027873
>get a job doing .net
>next job doing .net
>next job can only get .net based on my experience
>looking for next job. can't get anything not .net
Kill me.
>>
>>58029264
.net sounds fun
>>
>>58029270
My last job started as C# then they canned the project and I had spend the next few months fixing VB webform pajeet code. It was pure hell.
>>
>>58029287
sounds like you're not dreaming in code, anon...
>>
>>58029270
until you discover python
>>
>>58027873
>Is its sole purpose to cuck kids wanting to learn programming right from the get go?
That's the purpose of all forms of BASIC
>>
>>58029309
python is baby language
>>
>>58029324
python is language of productive professional
>>
>>58028580
If you want to start your own company and whatnot you need some capital.
Working for someone else gets you capital.
>>
>>58027873
I was you back when I was 13.

I then learnt assembler, then C, never looked back at BASIC.
>>
>>58029303
When you've been developing for 10 years, having regress to a platform that should have been canned 10 years ago is a real drag.
>>
>>58028580
There are a lot more .NET jobs here than anything else. I fucking hate it though and I want out. If you want to make money, definitely go C#. If you want life to be liveable, do something else.
>>
This could've been me. Luckily I got out soon enough and never actually became a real "programmer".

Too bad I could have actually learned C++ when I was in HS but instead I focused on this VB piece of shit. Now I'm old and trying to learn C++.
>>
>>58029333
no that's Java
>>
is 18 too old to start coding?
>>
>>58027873
There is a SHITLOAD of VB jobs out there anon.

I know it as well and it's honestly not worse than python or other scripting languages.
>>
move onto c# dummy
>>
If you know VB (assuming it is VB.Net), you can easily learn C#
>>
>>58027950
At least C++ is useful.
>>
>>58028252
>being a keyboard cripple
>>
File: 4667_scr.jpg (231KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
4667_scr.jpg
231KB, 800x600px
>>58027873
>not RealBasic

pleb
>>
>>58030783
What the fuck even is this?
>>
>>58029414
not at all
>>
>>58029414
No, never too old. You can still get a job as a junior developer when youre in your 70s.
>>
>>58027873

Welcome to IT.

Every company, organization, government, free software movement, and shit head in a basement thinks that programming would be so easy and wonderful if they could just invent a new language.

So instead of focusing our efforts on mastering a particular language and related set of practices, we waste our time learning MemeLanguage #47.

The same thing happens inside frameworks like .NET. "You spent 10 years mastering this set of classes we told you to use, now switch to this entirely new set of classes for teh features!"

But the features are almost never worth the loss of tested code and knowledge.

And again you will notice the same pattern in applications themselves. Everyone is under the delusion that completely rewriting a working program from scratch is better than improving the original. They always assume that with "clean code" and "modern practices" the project will take a fraction of the time and ship bug free. Instead it's a piece of shit for 5 years. And right around the time that it starts to get better, management decides to rewrite it again.

This is the future you chose. Get used to it.
>>
>>58034525
can't wait to party with you dude
>>
>>58028307
>The syntax is pretty wildly different
>pretty dramatically different from C#

There is practically no difference between VB.NET and C#. They are so fucking close that there are online converters which will do a 100% accurate job of translating from one to the other.

.NET fags who have never touched C++ like to pretend there is a YUGE difference because they want to portray VB as a kid's language and themselves as members of the C club.

If you really know VB.NET it should take a day to "learn" C# and a week max to be comfortable with it. You should be able to sit down with a C# cheat sheet and actually code some kind of demo in minutes.

C# is not C++ It's VB.NET with C style syntax rules.
>>
>>58032998
>that old pic on an old version of OS X

It's called Xojo now and it's actually a good language and IDE. Think VB.NET syntax and features but with a more sane framework. It's also comparable to .NET...maybe even better...in terms of rapid application development.

Its claim to fame is cross platform support for macOS, iOS, Linux, Windows, and web. Applications are native binaries and controls are also native to each OS so everything looks and behaves properly. It's really good here for Mac/Linux/Win. You can basically target all three platforms with a single source code base. You can't do the same with iOS and web, but you can share substantial code across all 5.

The con is that it's a lesser known language and full time Xojo jobs are rare even in big cities. It's pretty much a tool used by independent developers, contractors, and small businesses, though some larger businesses use it as well.
>>
>>58034542
>maximum kek

I am a bitter son of a bitch, aren't I?
>>
File: 1479048588223.jpg (51KB, 709x480px) Image search: [Google]
1479048588223.jpg
51KB, 709x480px
My company still using this shit in 2016, not even C#
>>
>>58034600
Came here to post this. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>58028252
it also has cruft and legacy up the ass, they strip a little out every version but the next time they change the structure of their main Windows API for no reason it's all going to be legacy again, and it's going to need to be supported for at least a decade
meanwhile other languages are stripped down and all that stuff is in libraries
>>
>>58029402
fuck off pajeet
>>
>>58035443
Are you thinking of VB6?

VB.NET and C# use the same CLR, compile to the same intermediate code, and share the same framework. .NET is sort of becoming the Windows API so I don't think it's going to be "legacy" any time soon.
>>
>>58027950

c++ can easily be the only language you need unless you want to do something webdev
>>
>>58028307

> .cuck framework

learn gnu c++ you fag
>>
File: DELET THIS.jpg (141KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DELET THIS.jpg
141KB, 640x480px
I was shocked that knowing VB6 would come in handy. Making utils for non-technical types for MS products can be done in each program itself (Word, Excel, Outlook) since they come with built-in IDEs for using VBA (which I believe is just VB6). It's definitely odd since there isn't a whole lot for the language anymore outside of whatever one can scrape off of MSDN and random legacy Excel power user forums.

Definitely a weird and verbose language.
>me.nagato instead of this.nagato
>mfw
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.