[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What technical difficulty has made you stop working on your game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: 1479371573450.png (179KB, 462x450px) Image search: [Google]
1479371573450.png
179KB, 462x450px
What technical difficulty has made you stop working on your game idea that was gonna be a "big hit" anon?
Did you realise that you're shit at programming?
>>
>>58019989
There was no technical difficulty. I just found out that I dont have an idea for a halfdecent game.
>>
>>58019989
I realized I can get an MBA and land a swanky exec job getting paid more than code monkeys for half the work.
>>
>>58020065
It'd be neat to have a document or webpage where people can submit game ideas.
Perhaps a Jewgle docs thing linking to pastes on pastebin.

I've got a bunch of interesting stuff I'd like to submit.
>>
File: 1471392765039.gif (709KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1471392765039.gif
709KB, 640x480px
My WebGL behaves weirdly; I have objects being sometimes visible and sometimes not visible through each other, as well as the viewpoint being one unit behind the camera causing rotations to look like orbits.

It's beyond my skill to fix.
>>
>>58020065
This. And the fact that I'm lazy.
>>
i got sick
and i'm a bad artist
>>
>>58020189

> his game uses webgl
>>
>>58020449
In-browser games which take very little time to learn have a colossal popularity bonus over other games, due to the fact that they're the fastest games to get into but they're very rare.
>>
>>58019989

Like all good projects on the backburner, it eventually got replaced by better, more mature ideas and was an important, influential step in me realizing that I'd rather make games as a hobby than a job.

Also my ideas on what constitutes a good game have changed over time.
>>
>>58020189
>WebGL
would you please refrain from using such technology? i'm sure you can find a better alternative! don't give up on your stuff.
>>
>>58020703
see >>58020588

Also, any alternatives would have the same problems, since my issues are mathematical errors that arose out of incompetence thus would have still happened if I used OpenGL or Vulkan.
>>
>>58019989
My toaster can't run CryEngine
>>
>>58019989
I'm too lazy to learn an API/library for graphics.
>>
File: 147433913927791.jpg (28KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
147433913927791.jpg
28KB, 601x508px
>>
File: what.png (1MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
what.png
1MB, 1680x1050px
>>58019989
>Did you realise that you're shit at programming?
Sure, but at least I'm not you.
>>
>>58020116
Well, let's hear them son
>>
>>58019989
I had RPG Maker but didn't have internet, so I never saw all the other shit games people made, and I thought my games were soooo original and cool BUT THEY ARE ALL THE FUCKING SAME unless you make your own art and music which I am too gay and stupid to do

So yeah I gave up on that idea but I got pretty far in it and feel kinda bad for just abandoning it.
>>
>>58021244
FPS Cave Story with cell shading, multiplayer, difficulty settings and customisable levels
>>
>>58021244
I'd rather just get to work on the ideas, I just need to fix my WebGL problems.
>>
>>58019989
I don't have the time, I don't have the money to commission assets, and I'm quite bad at motivating myself.

I'm slowly writing a productivity iOS app instead. Very slowly, because programming is my day job and I find it hard to want to do it some more during my evenings/weekends.
>>
>>58021531
You'd have better luck with the lottery.
>>
I suck at programming so I got a job writing """business""" "logic" and it pays well enough.
>>
I never had an idea for a "big hit." I just want to make something for the hell of it.
>Did you realise that you're shit at programming?
Yes. That's why I'm focusing on learning basic programming skills. I'm starting with some simple card games.
>>
File: 1479234343588.jpg (239KB, 800x1122px) Image search: [Google]
1479234343588.jpg
239KB, 800x1122px
>>58019989
No, i realized that my ideas are shit. But hell, at least i'm good programmer, and i don't even play too much vidya anymore.

actually, maybe my ideas are okay and problem lies in lack of skill needed to execute them properly. same shit though.
>>
I had an idea in high school that was best summed up as the Civilization series meets No Man's Sky in a sort of online persistent procedurally generated galaxy.

I realized that it would be boring as fuck and so did nothing with it. Free for the taking /g/, Make me proud.
>>
>>58019989
shit defeatist thread
>>
>>58022880
Actually, the thread really exists to try and have people collaborate to overcome obstacles.
>>
It was way more work than I thought it would be.

Even a simple game takes weeks worth of code, unless its some POS flash game shovelware.
>>
>>58023261
Also, my ideas really aren't "popular" anymore. I have trouble selling my narrative to modern gamers.
>>
>>58019989

my main malfunction is linear algebra

I'm no gaymer weeb or pajeet and I am pretty good with C++ and OpenGL, but I just don't get the linear algebra behind it. for example I couldn't figure out how to make a "fps noclip spectator mode" style camera.

I'm good enough to work around it though, and my goal isn't to make a real video game anyway. I'm only interested in having a way to make 3d graphics for general purpose programming because it comes up a lot.
>>
>>58023467
Funny, linear algebra is where my problems lie too.
I'm halfway competent, so I can figure out some things on my own, but I can't get my viewport perfect.
>>
>>58021244
I have an idea of a simple touhou waifu clicker game where you have to draw your spells/runecards with your mouse, like OSU!
>>
>>58019989
I never started, because I only make programs that are useful.
>>
>>58019989
Wasn't shit at programming, I'm shit at anything art related.
>>
>>58023467
>>58025702

>mfw linear algebra is more simple to me than calc

Lel, get gud.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.