[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm almost entirely self taught, trying to break into programming.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: Clrs3.jpg (50KB, 420x475px) Image search: [Google]
Clrs3.jpg
50KB, 420x475px
I'm almost entirely self taught, trying to break into programming. I've been offered an interview for an internship WAY ahead of when I thought I would, due to networking.

As such, I'm pretty sure I'm not qualified for this yet. However, I'm not going to turn down the opportunity and will take the distant chance that maybe I might get it. It is just an internship after all, and I'm sure they don't expect me to be completely ready to go. That said I'd like to be as prepared as possible. Im going to spend the next two weeks eating Adderall by the handful and studying. I've never taken a formal course on data structures and algorithms which, I know, is like learning your ABCs. I need a crash course, and would like some recommendations for books to buy or other resources.

I've asked and hunted around and general consensus is that pic related is the standard, so I've got it in the mail, but any additional help or advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>58015113
ZyBooks. Email support on an edu email and request the discrete math and data structures book. Read and do the problems on the discrete math course before moving into anything else. - weak foundations in discrete math will hurt later on.

If you don't know discrete math then CLRS Won't make much sense.

Also buy algorithms unlocked by one of the authors of CLRS. It'll be easier to learn from.

After you do all of the above you'll be ready for CLRS & leet code
>>
>>58015113
learn python syntax. It makes io for interview questions really easy. You don't want to have to write down tons of librarys and remember all the special syntax of C when they really just want to know if you can write fizz buzz
>>
>>58015168

Thank you, I'll do that right away.

Is this doable in 2-3 weeks, or should I just treat the interview as an opportunity to learn what I need to know for next time?
>>
>>58015199
Treat the interview as an opportunity of whatbto learn next time. You may pass the interview though.

My recommendation is more of a long term plan to actually learn the shit inside out.

Once you get to the CLRS step in my plan follow along with it on the MIT open course class-- it'll be the very old version of the class not the updated one. Those videos cover sections of the book.

Save leetcode for last. If you do all the shit I said you should be able to solve medium and hard problems on leetcode because by then you'll have a vastly more prepared background than most people. Complement this with elements of programming book

I cannot overstate how important it is you learn the shit in the zybook on discrete
>>
>>58015194

This is good, I'm already very familiar with python. To be honest, a lot of my anxiety is that I really don't know what's expected of me here.

If it were a full time job interview I'd at least know for sure I'm not qualified but I don't yet really know what skill level is going to be expected for this internship.

If it's "write fizz buzz" im golden but if they start talking about big o notation or something im fucked.
>>
>>58015296
The discrete book I recommended covers big oh and shit ton of graph theory and other areas. You'll be very prepared to move onto data structures book I recommended after that.
If you follow all my advice and actually take a data structures and then algorithms course you'll ace the shit out of it.
>>
>>58015328

Perfect. I'll do exactly that. Thanks man.

My real question was mostly not knowing where to start, and that solves it.
>>
>>58015113
This + Sedgwick's book and you should be already be more prepared than most "coders" out there
>>
>>58015349
No problem.

In recap

Zybook on discrete (do problems)
Zybook on data structures (do problems)
Algorithms unlocked (read for high level understanding. Easier to read and by one of th CLRS authors).
CLRS + old MIT videos (do problems)
Leet code (by now you should be able to do medium/hard problems)
Elements of programming

Good luck!
>>
>>58015113

You're probably partly suffering from (or will suffer from) impostor syndrome, it's very common. As long as you keep being mindful enough to know that there's still a ton more shit to learn then you should be alright. That being said, that's a great book. It is 1200 pages though so don't expect to bust out the whole thing and have much time for other stuff. I recommend The Pragmatic Programmer, it's full of excellent language-agnostic practices and is more focused on ~working~ rather than just programming in the academic sense.

People have already talked about how important discrete math, data structures, etc are, so I'll stick to language specific things: Picking up something quick and easy like Python is good, for the reasons anon stated above, and it's also just useful (and most people expect you to know how to use it). Don't (DO NOT) fall for /g/ memes regarding programming. Don't dismiss an entire language or paradigm without a good reason.

Since you know python, grab something compiled and lower level, C is fine. It's small enough that you can pick it up very quickly while still being very powerful. People are also quick to point out that since you have to manually manage memory and shit, you'll pick up more about what's going on at lower levels in other languages. Good C books include: The K&R (you can find more up to date practices but it's a quick and concise reference by the creators of the language), 21st Century C, Understanding and Using C Pointers (you'll want it eventually).

Try to pick up another language or two pretty quick after getting those down. Corporate shit loves java, so grab Effective Java 2nd Edition if that's what you think you need to move to. There are a bunch of C++ books and I really can't recommend one since I haven't dealt with them too much, so look for those on your own. Same for other languages as well. Most languages are very similar so you'll learn them quickly after your first couple.
>>
>>58015113
too bad you are going o fail, and you will get black listed for life so don't even dream on applying ever again.

next time you lie and bullshit people just to waste their time, you must consider the consequences.

because you will be black listed from basically every company, better drop the learning once and for all. why bother.
>>
>>58015168

different anon here, how should I word the request for those books? Obviously I can't just say "hey give me this". I'm not really sure what avenue I'm supposed to exploit with that request.
>>
>>58015514
This desu.
>>
>>58015386
Can you or anyone be more specific on how is that Zybook's on discrete math and data structures called?

I am poorfag so I was wondering to find pdf somewhere on the web.
>>
File: 1457173_orig.gif (1MB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
1457173_orig.gif
1MB, 500x363px
>>58015514

anon pls don't bully
>>
>>58015113
You don't really need to know the contents of Intro to algs. if it's just a internship. You just need to know the basics of data structures and algorithms.
>>
>>58015535
>>58015518

Sorry I am about to take my finals. Will be 6 hours worth. Won't be able to rely much after this comment but use an edu email address and say you aren't enrolled in discrete or data structures course and would like to buy the two books for self study before you enroll.

They'll give you a $48 deal per book for 6 month access (well worth it desu).

They aren't online as pdfs because they are interactive and visual. You solve problems in the chapters as you read and get immmediate feedback.

The breadth and depth of the discrete book is more than you'd normally cover in a semester.

If you actually learn that shit you'll be very prepared for datata structures and if you learn and do all the problems in both books you'll fucking ace any future discrete and/or data structures class.
>>
>>58015113
the most important thing is to know everything about 3d collision detection. show them your gjk and vonoroi implementation and roll eyes and sigh when they have no clue. they will see you as god

works with different esoteric fields too.
>>
>>58015784
Meant to add they give like 6 months extensions for $18 after the first 6 months. It's much cheaper than normal textbooks and better presented. Honestly good quality
>>
>>58015823
Okay I have 6 hours of CS finals To go to
>>
>>58015844

Do your best, senpai
>>
>>58015113
>As such, I'm pretty sure I'm not qualified for this yet.

They know that better than you, whatever you wrote in your application made them think that you WERE qualified enough. They just interview people they think are qualified to find the best.
>>
>>58015784
In that case does anyone know tested and good book on discrete math and data structures?
>>
>>58015113
This book is a useful book to learn pretty much everything (at least the most important stuff) you need at work fast.

https://www.manning.com/books/grokking-algorithms

buy it or get it at libgen.io

Do some euler problems as exercise:

https://projecteuler.net/
>>
>>58016018
so what, you recommend people to read both books on algorithms? is that overkill? do they present same stuff? also do you know something about >>58015947
Thanks
>>
>>58016127
>so what, you recommend people to read both books on algorithms?

I am pragmatic, for a job interview, the easy read book I showed should enough. Reading a huge text book like introduction to Algorithms is great for having an exam in it. And it's great to get expert knowledge. But to do well on a job interview then my thin little book will do just as well. Whatever problem you get you can probably solve it, maybe not as elegant as you could if you read this 2000 page volume textbook. The book I gave is much shorter and is full of illustrations, but it's good enough. it's a good book.

It's written in Python so it's basically just pseudocode.
>>
>>58016175
>then my thin little book will do just as well
Oh now is clearer what you wanted to say, I agree, both are useful in specific situations ;)
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.