[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone have any experience with running an XP machine? It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: wallpaper.jpg (321KB, 1900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper.jpg
321KB, 1900x1200px
Does anyone have any experience with running an XP machine? It's surely pretty minimalist by comparison to Win7. Could it into games?

I'm going to be running it regardless as I'll be developing an AI for SC:BW, but I'm curious to see how viable it still is.
>>
XP doesn't get security updates and more. You're also limited to dx9. For your sc bw memes it will do but if you have a newer gpu there may not even be a driver for XP.
>>
>>57998534
I figured as much. But how many games run on DX9? Aren't they backwards-compatible, simply not rendering the higher dx-level commands?

And surprisingly, all of my hardware (fingers crossed) is still compatible with XP. One needs SATA drivers, of course. That kind of blows my mind, that it's so old that IDE was the unchallenged champion and SATA barely heard of.

I grew up on XP, so I am sort of nostalgically looking forward to using it.
>>
I come from Windows 95 and 98, when XP came out people complained about how bloated it was. They only started liking it once 512mb of ram became the norm for the most part. Anyways, I'd say go 7, it's just not worth running XP these days. Or you could always try 10 ltsb, I've had no issues thus far.
>>
>>57998836
>10
never letting that shit hit my storage mediums, sorry.
>>
>>57998873
If you never need dx12 that's fine. Look into enterprise ltsb though, it doesn't have any of the crap that makes 10 annoying. Doesn't even have edge
>>
>>57998477
You'd be better of running XP in a VM and getting a proper os.
>>
>>57998931
The real issue is if it performs better than reactOS or wine.
>>
>>57998873
Windows 10 being bad is mostly a meme that's completely blown out of proportion.
>>
>>57999228
I really don't care for an OS that already fucks up regularly having that level of control over fucking itself up. Also selling my information.

Seriously, I work with stuff that's relatively sensitive. Can't have that stuff leaking.
>>
>>57999263
its called linux my friend, and theres a whole world ro choose from
>>
>>57999228
>Inconsistent UI
>Ugly UI
>Awful updates system
>Tracking
>Flat design

7 until I die.
>>
>>57999263
If what you have has any legal weight, then it's already illegal to be handling that info on Windows 10 under PCI compliance law
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.