[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a 2month break. What language should I learn, /g/? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: 1458700369480.jpg (121KB, 387x570px) Image search: [Google]
1458700369480.jpg
121KB, 387x570px
I have a 2month break. What language should I learn, /g/?

I already know C/C++ and Python.
>>
>>57994642
You should probably kill yourself
>>
>>57994642
Try making something in one of the languages you already know.
>>
>>57994642
If you know your theorical algorithmic, work on your C. Always the best option.
Else, work with Python to learn more about some algorithms or algorithmic objects, like lists, graph, trees, etc...
>>
Assembly
>>
>not making your own programming language
Neo-/g/
>>
>>57994642
post more qts
>>
>>57994701
Interpreted language is easy as fuck to make.
Let's make the /g/-compiler.
>>
>>57994642
Haskell/Scheme if you like elegant code.
Assembly if you like optimized code.
Or just keep using Python if you actually want to do stuff.
>>
File: 1469819899364.jpg (513KB, 1053x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1469819899364.jpg
513KB, 1053x1080px
>>57994689

The problem I have with C is that I cannot do anything with it. I mean sure it's cool to write shells, compilers, etc but they're most college exercises than something useful.

>>57994693
>>57994743

I had classes with assembly and that shit is boring as fuck.

>>57994702

Riko is indeed cute.
>>
>>57994761
If you have 2 months and some skills in C, you can try to make a neural network in C. It's complicated but you will learn a lot.

For some documentation :
http://neuralnetworksanddeeplearning.com/
>>
>>57994642
Haskell
>>
>>57994642
Javascript, and write yourself some PWAs.

It's the most general purpose language.
>>
If you really want to learn a new kind of language, you can try some functional languages, like Haskel for example.
The recursive part of OCaml is good too.
>>
>>57994761
Haskell or Clojure if you want something that forces you to think differently than you were used to with the programming you have done.
>>
>>57994841
Hahaha !
Javascript...
>>
You should learn Go
>>
>>57994642
Scala is nice for High Lvl language.
Java Script and Java are everywhere so why not.
I'm the only one on the planet loving Perl
>>
>>57994683
This.

you should only need to know 3~4 languages

backend (c/c++/c#)
general (python)
frontend (javascript/mysql/ruby/php)
>>
>>57994960
>you should only need to know 3~4 languages

>backend (c/c++/c#)
>general (python)
>frontend (javascript/mysql/ruby/php)

to be webdev scum
>>
If you really want to learn a language, try tinkering with Haskell since you will get exposure to very different way of programming, with a focus on immutability, higher-order functions and a very strong type system.
But, actually I would recommend you the same thing as >>57994683 since spending plenty of time learning the basics of different languages left me with almost no practical project on my shelf I'm proud of.
I would recommend you to build something non-trivial in C++ while trying to integrate some of the modern language features in your code.
>>
>>57994683
It is easier learning a language than doing something in one.
>>
>>57994642
haskell or a lisp dialect
>>
>>57994761
>
The problem I have with C is that I cannot do anything with it. I mean sure it's cool to write shells, compilers, etc but they're most college exercises than something useful.
You fucking what? C and Python are the most used languages in large projects, you can do literally ANYTHING with them.

Forget whatever you think you know. From that statement alone it is clear that you DON'T know C and Phyton; all you know is their syntax. Speaking of college exercises, THAT is all you'll be able to do if you keep learning new languages for no reason. If you want to build useful stuff then invest your time groking C or Phyton. Then pick a project of choice and work on it, or contribute to other open-source projects until you feel confident to build something nice by yourself from scratch.
>>
Learn something actually used in the industry. Like Java.
>>
>>57995615
what the point of learning languages then
>>
Grow some big ass balls and start programming in a real mans language like perl you big fat pussy.
>>
File: 1450603056938.jpg (76KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
1450603056938.jpg
76KB, 900x600px
>>57994642
Learn how to program in powerpoint
>>
>>57994642
actionscript
>>
>i alredy no c && c++ && python lawl

No, you don't. There's 500 functions and some 1700 additional symbols in glibc. Just because you know how to puts("hello world xDDDD"); doesn't mean you know C. Keep learning any of those languages you have acquired and learn to put it to use. Learn the process infrastructure, or the network stack, or learn ncurses or a myriad of external libraries like OpenGL and libnfc... You get the point.

>>57994761
Pretty much anything you write at this very moment has probably been implemented better by someone else, more precisely a group of individuals - no one human being has the time to write a 2000+ node AST for a compiler or interpretter, it's always done as a team. If you're so intent on making something useful, find people to work with and realize a common goal; it has absolutely nothing to do with the language.

Also, the point of learning assembly is to understand how to begin to understand compiler behavior. If you listened to class instead of thinking you were better than it, perhaps you would've learned something conducive to contributing to a "useful" project. Much of assembly knowledge contributes to reverse engineering and hardware, both routes that you can take to expand your portfolio. I feel that that is ten fold superior to learning a new syntax with no motivation and zero creative vision.
>>
>>57998404

> HEY FAGGOTS. I KNOW LUA, PYTHON, C/C++, FORTRAN, C#, JAVA, JAVASCRIPT, HTML, CSS, ELIXIR, CLOJURE, KOTLIN, RUST... GET ON MY LEVEL HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Just ego.
>>
>>57994642
Verilog
>>
>>57994642
Haskell
Scheme
ARM Assembly
>>
Cobol
>>
>>57994785
Or just use Python and tensorflow like everyone else on the planet
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.