[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I become an actual programmer? All I have experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 208a0f58.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
208a0f58.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
How do I become an actual programmer?

All I have experience with is making CRUD software. I can do it in pretty much any language, but I feel at this point like I'm not a real programmer and just a code monkey.

What should I start studying? Or what would you study?

I feel like such a talentless hack
>>
read a book
>>
>>57950980
It's less about studying and more about doing.

Pick a specialization or two you find interesting. Could be OS kernels, machine learning, 3D graphics, anything really – just make sure it's something that interests you. Then, seek out open source code relating that subject. Pick it apart, get a feel for it. Try to make a rudimentary version of your own. Rinse and repeat. Each time you'll be notably better and eventually you'll approach a decent level of competency.

Studying is good as a supplement, but alone all it'll do is teach you inapplicable theory. That's fine if you want to be a computer scientist, but if you want to be a real engineer/programmer you're going to have to be able to build shit, and as it turns out the only way to learn how to build anything is to actually build the damned thing.

TLDR: Put down the books, analyze what's been built, and build something yourself. There's no teacher like real experience.
>>
>>57950980
Explain to me the difference between a code monkey and a programmer, OP
>>
>>57951560
The difference between a craftsman and a assembly line worker.
>>
please OP im begging you with tears in my eyes, to read >>57951495 this is the most concise and on point post and answers the fundamental idea of your post.
>>
>>57951577
So about a couple of centuries of technological and societal evolution then?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.