[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am thinking about making myself a nice Linux setup. I already

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1471041057993.png (39KB, 633x973px) Image search: [Google]
1471041057993.png
39KB, 633x973px
I am thinking about making myself a nice Linux setup. I already have a setup with Windows that has dual-monitors and all of that.

Would it be a good idea to work on another setup on the desk behind me?

I would like to have a Linux one so that I can have a more secure computer, and something I could mess with.

If so, what would be a good PC for Linux purposes? Looking for something cheap.
>>
A used ThinkPad, HP EliteBook or a Dell Latitude.
>>
>>57947739
I just got a shitty i52400/8GB PC for installing Linux, but I just remembered that it will have to use a wireless pci card to connect to the internet, but this card doesn't have drivers for Linux.

What to do? I can't connect this PC using an ethernet cable.
>>
>>57947754
this.
>>
>>57947754
>>57947815
Yea I was thinking about that.
Which models are good?

Also what are some things that I should have for my Linux setup?
I'll probably get a keyboard and mouse so that I don't have to use the laptop one if I don't have to.

If I would be getting a Laptop I would like something with good battery life so I can use it while I am in bed as well.
>>
>>57947796
There are no drivers for Ubuntu? That is strange because there usually is.

Maybe get a cheap USB WIFI card, I think that would work decent enough.
>>
>>57948107
The generic drivers of this card doesn't even work on Windows and the 'proper' drivers do work, however, they are pretty bad at that.
I guess I will get a cheap usb card like you said.
>>
>>57948151
Ah that sucks anon, I guess there is nothing you can do about that.

https://www.amazon.com/Glam-Hobby-802-11ac-Wireless-10-6-10-12/dp/B018TX8IDA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1481470600&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+wifi+card

Something like this would work really well.
>>
>>57948182
noice
thanks man
>>
>>57948090
>Which models are good?

Depends on what size you want. But you can get a nice laptop with a i7 processor for ~$200 or less.

If you get a thinkpad then make sure that you get one with 3 REAL BUTTONS above the trackpad. They did make some where they copied apple computers which are shit to use.

>If I would be getting a Laptop I would like something with good battery life so I can use it while I am in bed as well.

Thinkpads are great for this because even if you get a shit battery because it's used it is still cheap and easy to get a new one.

https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/ThinkPad
>>
>>57948210
You should look for other ones as well, maybe you could find something better.
No problem anon :)
>>
>>57948241
I really like the Thinkpads, and Elitebooks so I will probably go with one of those.
I don't care much about size, bigger might be better? The laptop won't be leaving my room at all.
Where can I get a Thinkpad X220 or T420 for a good price? On Ebay they seem to be a little bit overpriced.

Also would a battery like this be legit?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Cell-Battery-for-Lenovo-Thinkpad-E40-E50-T410-T410I-T420-T510-T510I-T520-W510-/251909091384?hash=item3aa6f3b038:g:fDAAAOSwSHZWelaV

Seems a little to good to be true, is probably shit quality.
>>
>>57948319
>I don't care much about size, bigger might be better?

I have a T520 that I am very happy with. It's pretty much a larger T420, make sure you get one with i7 because they are usually not that much more expensive. Avoid T520i or anything with "i" after because it's less powerful.

That 9-cell battery seems fine
>>
I'm lacking a display port on a HD 4000 laptop. What refresh rates can I get with 2560x1440 over hdmi? Are usb 3.0 to display port adapters reliable?
>>
>>57948445
How much do they cost?
>>
>>57947739
Laptops are GOAT for a linux setup, I didn't really use Linux until I got a used Thinkpad.

Try buying a broken Thinkpad off eBay and replacing the parts for cheap.
>>
>>57948794
It's different for me, I am norwegian. But most people are not interested in a laptop from 2011 (even though it still is a great laptop for the money) so you will likely get much for your money.
>>
>>57948821
Why are they so goat? I could but I rather get something that is in good condition and working properly.

>>57948855
AH I see. Isn't everything more expensive over there?
>>
>>57949796
Yes, but electronics is suprisingly cheap (Tesla cars are much cheaper than in America, but most things is just a little bit over what Americans pay, which is strange because most things are WAY MORE expensive. One packet of cigarettes is $10-15 and one glass of beer in a pub is around the same amount. But I have no idea what the difference is in used stuff)

>>57949796
>Why are they so goat?

Cheap to upgrade, easy to buy stuff that fits and very easy to open and change stuff. You can also just throw it out the window if you don't want to carry it down the stairs and it works fine.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.