[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>every kid has or wants a tablet >""""""programming""""""

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: Best-tablets-for-kids.jpg (22KB, 500x308px) Image search: [Google]
Best-tablets-for-kids.jpg
22KB, 500x308px
>every kid has or wants a tablet
>""""""programming"""""" taught at elementary schools
>kids started using the internet way before you did and probably spend a lot more time there than you used to

Will the coming generations be smarter and more tech-savvy?
OR
Will they be dumb thanks to all the information being among their fingertips, without ever having to think about solutions?
>>
no. touchscreens and auto correct have made people stupid. also the games suck which is why my sister is more than happy to take my older laptop.
>>
>"What was even the point of websites," certain people will find themselves wondering. "Were they just weird slow apps with nobody in them?"
https://theawl.com/the-next-internet-is-tv-a0d57c37349

Good read.
>>
>>57935887
I really need to turn autocorrect off my browser. I used to be good at spelling and last time I tried to write without autocorrect, I could hardly spell "believe"
>>
>>57935852
>Will the coming generations be smarter and more tech-savvy?
Nah, they will be dumb sheep bred to live in walled garden economies from birth
>>
>“I’m not worried so much about Google & Facebook. They might not be here in the end. I’m more concerned about the architecture of the social network”, he says. "The parts of the network that worry me are the ones that users aren’t exposed to. In practice, we have ten years left to oppose this current situation until it won’t be effective anymore. The current generation is the last generation of humanity that will have free will. We have a choice. Today’s young people can choose. But they will be the last human beings to be given that choice".
Eben Moglen april 8, 2015
>>
Math has been taught in school since forever but everyone sucks at math and is still dumb.

I don't think being in fancy pencils that can draw a dragon easily will make people better at math.
>>
I used the family PC with ALL of my freetime since I was 8 years old. I'm 26.

I cannot exist without the internet as a result.
>>
I feel like the ecosystems they learn any of these in are way too restrictive and commercialized to teach them shit but I hope I'm wrong.
>>
>>57936308
>I cannot exist without the internet as a result

Have you even tried?
>>
>>57936321
no, you're not wrong.
>>
>>57936308
That sounds like a good reason to take a time out for a while.
>>
>>57935852
the one upside is that kids are more likely to learn the best way to navigating the internet for a solution to a problem and problem solving is pretty fucking big
Thing is are they actually going to use it for important problems or is it going to be "oh web MD says I'm dying and I don't need to worry about this smell in my house it's probably old food and not a gas leak"
>>
>>57935852
I see absolutely no tech skills in most of the current kids and teens I see even though they use smartphones, tablets and laptops. So I think very little will change. Sure everyone will be able to do basic shit like FB and online banking but only those with an interest in the devices themselves will go any further than that.
>>
>>57936488
>further than that

Those devices are so locked down that in a few years you wouldn't be able to jack shit with them but what you're given.
>>
Once my girl gave the kids a tablet with Internet (I objected), they've been watching pewdipie and YouTube poop for the last 4 years
One of the kids is using a program that *roughly* teaches him the process of using 3D CAD design, but outside of technical programs being made to be "fun and educational", I still think Internet at an early age is a huge mistake
>>
File: cimg0002.jpg (732KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
cimg0002.jpg
732KB, 1600x1200px
>>57936228
>If in five years I’m just watching NFL-endorsed ESPN clips through a syndication deal with a messaging app, and Vice is just an age-skewed Viacom with better audience data, and I’m looking up the same trivia on Genius instead of Wikipedia, and “publications” are just content agencies that solve temporary optimization issues for much larger platforms, what will have been point of the last twenty years of creating things for the web?

That's a sad thought.

From the start the web was fragile, and seeing that it could just fizzle out is very upsetting.
>>
>>57935852
The later. The """"""programming"""""" that they teach is pretty much just scratch. I've heard that they're trying to implement classes in highschools that are supposed to teach them something though, but I think that this generation of teenagers are too stupid for it.
>>
>>57936414
You know those computer repair shops, they're probably gonna be first to lose their buisness when normies decide to just google their pc problems
>>
>>57937097
I've fixed countless normies' computers and not once have any of them googled it.
>>
>>57937097
They are already a thing of the past because they can't do much for tablets and phones. You can also grab a new computer cheaply now so why spend loads on repair.
>>
>>57937122
>be me
>senior year of high school
>chilling in AP Spanish after AP exam
>girl calls me over for help with her laptop
>Google the problem
>find solution
>"OMG anon you're so smart"

I hate people that do this. They literally see you search for the solution right in front of them, and for some reason they aren't capable of doing that themselves.
>>
>>57935852
From what I've heard the use of tablets and other more basic devices has lead to the kids of today being actually LESS tech savvy than when I was a kid. As more and more kids grow up using iPads rather than full blown computers I have a feeling that it's only going to get worse.

As for actual programming, that's probably not going to help all that much ether. I've seen this from the child's end as my middle school had something pretty similar to the mandatory programming classes being pushed around the world. The end result of that was that it really interesting to those who were interested to begin with and were probably going to go into the tech sector anyway, but those who weren't, simply hated it the same way they hated math classes.
>>
>>57935852
I've grown up having internet most of my life. I can feel I've become ignorant in a lot of subjects. For instance, I can almost never remember dates of historical events, at most I'll get the year correct.
So yes, having instant access to information most, if not all, of your life do render one "lazy".
>>
As a 30-something I already consider most of today's kids (actually: most of <=20 year olds) completely fucked up by the internet. The might have "all the information at their fingertips", but:

1. They aren't interested in getting to them unless they pop up on their Facebook walls in an easy to digest form (preferably some fucking "youtuber" talking about stuff he knows shit about, because why read).
2. They can't judge quality of the information and can't distinguish signal from noise.
3. They have attention span of a goldfish and hard time reading anything longer than half a page of text, let alone a motherfucking book.

>inb4 hurr durr grandpa, I don't need no books to earn $BIGNUM as a highly specialized human drone
You don't, but you can't develop critical thinking reading tweets and watching funny cats videos alone, nor can you google an answer to "how does the world work" in less than 140 characters.
>>
File: 1474154722967.png (91KB, 240x255px) Image search: [Google]
1474154722967.png
91KB, 240x255px
>>57935887
>touchscreens and auto correct have made people stupid
This. Touch screen interface have spoilt people, people I see now have a difficulty typing well on physical keyboards and it's rather disgusting
>>
>>57935852
>Will the coming generations be smarter and more tech-savvy?
No because they will never encounter issues they need to solve themselves. They will probably never have to google a bluescreen in their life and troubleshoot the error. In fact I believe people are becoming more and more technologically incompetent.

Take a modern car for example. Pretty much the only self service you can do yourself nowadays is filling up windshield wiper fluid. Replacing bulbs in a front light may require you to remove the wheel and disassemble parts of the engine. I shit you not. And back in the day most people knew tricks and how to do some self service on the car. Nowadays not so much. The car may tell you what the issue is or that you need to visit a mechanic for service.
>>
>>57937282
Are you talking about Television, or the Internet?
>>
>>57935852
>without ever having to think about solutions?
dumber. brains are like a muscle, you have to train them. train them to recognize time, to remember, reminders for certain times.
i member how much dumber i got when i started writing everything down onto my phone rather than rellying on my memory.
>>
>>57937240
This expierence is what made me realize im not a normie
>>
The next generation is going to be dumb as hell. If they can't find it in the iTunes App Store, it doesn't exist.
>>
>>57937368
Even passively watching TV is more stimulating to the brain and more educational than using the web the way today's normies do, which is mostly facebook, youtube and an occasional "Top 7 things we compiled to get the most out of Google Ads" article.
>>
>>57937282

>>57937368 has a point.
It's always going to be a decision on how people use the resource that they're given. Some kids used TV as a way to gain a broader viewpoint and become informed about world issues. Others simply watched entertainment and squandered an opportunity.

The internet is the same way; many kids today are social media obsessed, and just have another channel for time-wasting crap. But a lot of younger kids are still using the internet as a source of information, as I have and I'm sure many people on this board have since they were kids. Those who are interested in actually using the resource to its fullest are reading wikipedia articles instead of reading tweets, and watching video tutorials instead of youtube commentators.

The only real thing I'm a bit worried about is how people are praising the use of all these social media sites and apps, and how people are calling themselves "social media experts", etc. I waste time on the internet too, but at least I acknowledge it as wasting time.
>>
>>57937386
That's just memory regurgitation. Hell, I carry a notepad and pen where ever I go just because I have the memory of a goldfish. Doesn't mean I'm a dumb fuck who has no critical thinking skills.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.