[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any, you know, point in getting a newer smartphone?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: note 4.jpg (78KB, 767x767px) Image search: [Google]
note 4.jpg
78KB, 767x767px
Is there any, you know, point in getting a newer smartphone? I get the impression that these new models don't actually offer new features in terms of hardware, but instead just offer software updates. Is there something I'm missing?

Pic related, it's my current phone.
>>
>>57925325
Note1? It's been ages
get the new grenade
>>
Not really.

There's a reason all the new phones are scrambling for USB-C
>>
>>57925361
I'm on a Note 4, so it's far from the new hotness by a country mile. What am I missing with the new stuff, exactly?
>>
>>57925383
>USB-C

What's so special about it?
>>
>>57925325
I have a note 4 and the one thing keeping me from upgrading is the fact that they don't have replaceable batteries even though the phones might be nicer.

The note4 is a great phone and i am gonna stick with it for a long time simply because I don't think I will get anything out of a new phone other than that 'ohh a new nice phone!' feeling.
>>
if my LG G4 wasn't slow as shit (I believe it's a problem with my specific device, rather than all devices), it'd be the perfect phone

>big screen, but usable
>great camera
>decent battery life, but also removable
>SD slot
literally no phone out there is worth "upgrading" to
so OP, no not really. worst case if your phone gets slow, just put some lightweight ROM on it and bam it'll feel new
>>
>>57925983
You might want to think about a backup/new phone sometime soon. Bootlooping beware
>>
>>57925384
Not much. The largest difference between the note 4 and modern samsung phones is the build material. The efficiency of the newest exynos is also notable when moving from Note 4 to an s7.
>>
Still rocking my Note 3 after years of abuse. Using a custom rom with Note 7 features will keep this baby live for a long time.
>>
>>57925983
Heh, should have gotten the G5 like me...
;_;

>>57925445
Well, my G5 does charge to 100% in like 45 minutes with USB-C so that's pretty great.
>>
>>57925445

It's reversible like a lightning connector but isn't flimsy dogshit like a lightning connector.
>>
>>57925983
>live in communist shithole
>devices with non-removable batteries are considered disposable by design
>massive government recycling fees tacked on to purchase price of any disposable electronic device
>no phones with removable battery anywhere
>>
That phone won't last forever so you will need to have a replacement in mind even if you don't bite until it's too late. I'd just buy a chinkphone, there's no value in any phone that's marketed in Western countries.
>>
>>57927641
>chinkphone

Any good examples?
>>
>>57927666

OnePlus 3T
>>
>>57927672
This is the only good chinkphone

Don't listen to any of those zukcuks or chinkmi shills
>>
>>57927666
The /g/-approved chinkphone, and the one I own and can personally recommend, is the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3. Get the global edition (kate) and not the standard editions (kenzo). As soon as you get it root it and flash CM (it'll take kenzo roms, read the online guides) then you're golden.
>>
>>57925983
I have a G3 and I couldn't be happier with it
Never had any bootloop issue, and even if I did, I have twrp and am running fulmics Rom
The only thing I wish I could change is if it were the 32gb model with 1 more gig of ram
>>
File: 100% bullshit.png (23KB, 116x178px) Image search: [Google]
100% bullshit.png
23KB, 116x178px
>>57927672
>non-removable battery
>no sd card

pass
>>
>>57928059

There's maybe two phones total left on the market that fit your needs then, so just flip a coin.
>>
>>57928059
Battery is good and technically removable

The phone comes in either 32 or 128gb, which both are cheap as chips. I think you wouldn't miss anything giving up shitty sd card speeds and reliability
>>
>>57925325
Prestige
>>
>>57925445
That you'll actually notice and give a shit about?

> Can plug in both ways
> Charges much faster

That's about it.
>>
>touchwizz
>>
>>57928151
Why don't they make phones?
>>
>>57928151
Exactly! Who the hell nowadays says they won't buy a phone because it doesn't have a removable battery. They barely exist. I'd say year end 2017 they'll be non existent.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Huawei-announces-new-technology-for-Li-ion-batteries_id88503

^That's probably just a start.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com(8).jpg (10KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com(8).jpg
10KB, 300x225px
I'm tempted to upgrade because no official software updates for my note 3 after like, a little over half a year. No easy way to do it myself So I'm in Indian custom rom hell right now, too lazy to update from lollipop.
Never buying Samshit again.
>>
>>57925325
>Is there any, you know, point in getting a newer smartphone?
Well yeah. Get a new phone if:
- your previous one died
- it's way too outdated to run apps properly

That's about it, and one of the only reasons why i changed my moto g for a galaxy j7.

Of course there are people who cream their pants and are desperate to get the latest phone on the market because it has an extra core or the back camera has 1 megapixel more than the previous phone
>>
>>57927640
>>devices with non-removable batteries are considered disposable by design

they're right. non-removable batteries are a cancer. also, can't you just not throw your phone away? or maybe just "lose" it on the street?
>>
How good is the Galaxy S5 nowadays, in terms of functionality and longevity?

My usage habits are extremely basic, I just want a phone with a removable battery and a microSD slot, with good custom ROM support.
>>
>>57934158
(and by "good custom ROM support" I really just mean "there's at least one worthwhile option because touchwiz makes me want to set fire to the universe.")
>>
>>57925325
I went from an s4 to an s6 about a year ago and the difference was pretty drastic. My phone used to get slow after having like 5-10 things open at the same time, now I just leave every app I ever use open all the time, and run chrome with 150 tabs open and my phone never lags. It also has a way better battery that charges like 3x as fast, maybe more
>>
>>57925325
I have a Nexus 5. I might just get a battery case to make up for the aging one inside the device. Other than that, there's nothing it doesn't do for me that I need. It's as fast as the day I took it out of the box and it's on Android 7.1 now.
>>
gs5 user

give me a phone with removable battery thats waterproof with removable storage...fm radio and ir blaster, 5.5"+ screen take good pictures nfc and fingerprint reader...am i asking too much?
>>
File: Zek.jpg (24KB, 325x396px) Image search: [Google]
Zek.jpg
24KB, 325x396px
>>57925325
Why the fuck do phones only have 512 MB of ram?

If they made a phone the size of your moms ass, that had 4GB of ram and a sizable battery, it would be the last phone I would ever buy.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.