[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>friend's company decides to give the entire sales team

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 19

File: macbook gaming.jpg (403KB, 2626x1833px) Image search: [Google]
macbook gaming.jpg
403KB, 2626x1833px
>friend's company decides to give the entire sales team new computers
>switches to iMacs
>tfw my friend won't stop talking about how amazing they are and now he's going to start buying Apple products for himself, starting with the new Macbook Pro

How the fuck does this happen? Are Macs really that good? They are less powerful than other business class machines, they are less upgradeable, and basically non-serviceable. I don't get it.
>>
>>57906824
bcus he got used to one thing which in turn forces him to buy another thing off the same company bcus it's the only way to make it work with that original thing
this is why proprietary things should not exist. very anti capitalistic.
>>
>>57906868
>bcus
what is this shit? can't you jut write "because"? are you one of the so called "niggers"?
>>
File: unclean franklin.jpg (13KB, 480x269px) Image search: [Google]
unclean franklin.jpg
13KB, 480x269px
>>57906868
>bcus he got used to one thing which

But he's only been using it for a week.
>>
>>57906824
>They are less powerful than other business class machines, they are less upgradeable, and basically non-serviceable.

>less powerful
They have less impressive specs on paper, but much better hardware optimization

>less upgradeable
What the fuck do you plan on upgrading?

>non serviceable
Good thing they have the best customer service in the industry.
>>
The operating system is amazing to use.
It's a UNIX OS with a good amount of developer support and tools such as bash.

The internals being soldered, less powerful, and non-upgradable aren't that much of an issue because the OS is very optimized & comfy.
Honestly, an i5/i7, 8GB RAM, and an SSD is enough for most computing tasks, you don't need much more than that - the computer isn't for gaming.
The hardware such as the display, trackpad, and keyboard are very nice as well. Comfy as fuck
>>
>>57906824
Think of it as a luxury car, sure you can build some fucking monster tuner off a cheap car that would eat it alive in a performance matchup, but some people just want something that works and don't maintain it beyond calling the dealer and paying their ridiculous fees.
>>
>>57906824
The OS is only second best to Debian or Debian based distros. Mac hardware is fucking garbage but I'm extremely satisfied with my HP Elitebook hackintosh that triple boots Debian+KDE, Mavericks, and Sierra for maximum comfy.
>>
>>57906868
>bcus
>proprietary
>not popy
>capitalistic
>not cpits
>>
>>57906824
>Ridiculously overpriced
>Software compatibility
>USB-C
>Underpowered
>Macs can get infected
>Hardware is outdated and graphics card suck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DGU9lV6H4I
>>
>>57908342
The hardware is far from garbage, it just makes compromises that I, and most people, don't agree with. Their stuff is nicely engineered and manufactured with a good amount of care. I saw someone once write (about an opened shot of an rMBP) that it looks like no one had ever been in there with how neat everything was laid out.
>>
OSX is basically a polished version of Linux.
>>
>>57908929
Except completely unrelated, thank god.
>>
>>57908958
they're both garbage; that's gotta count for something.
>>
>>57908852
who the fuck games on workstation cards :^)
>>
This literally happened to me in 2002. Bought a lamp-style iMac my first semester of college, was blown away. My first experience with Unix-like operating systems, as well. It's been 14 years and I still love MacOS. I just wish Apple wouldn't neglect the Mac so much compared to the iPhone and iPad :(
>>
>>57907583

>They have less impressive specs on paper, but much better hardware optimization
Wrong. Not only can you get a massively superior performance machine for 25% the price, but you can actually optimize said machine because you have full access and control over the entire machine (something macs lack)

>What the fuck do you plan on upgrading?
Instead of spending multiple grand on getting a completely new monitor, motherboard, processor, psu, HDDs, SSDs, webcam, RAM, and GPU you can do an upgrade for much cheaper, bringing the machine's specs up to date while recycling what isn't obsolete.

>Good thing they have the best customer service in the industry.
>Implying it doesn't take less time to just to have the engineers fix it up.
You have to understand that time=money, instead of leaving someone out of work while their machine is being sent off to Apple, which could take multiple business days, all for which you are paying an employee hourly while they can't do their job, it's better to just fix the machine yourself, and in the long run it will end up far cheaper too.
>>
>>57909011
>but you can actually optimize said machine because you have full access and control over the entire machine
What are you even trying to say with this?
>You have to understand that time=money, instead of leaving someone out of work while their machine is being sent off to Apple, which could take multiple business days, all for which you are paying an employee hourly while they can't do their job, it's better to just fix the machine yourself, and in the long run it will end up far cheaper too.
This is such the opposite of reality.
>>
>>57908988
who the fuck doesn't? also, how do you know if the person isn't using it for video or photography? your statement means nothing
>>
>>57909025
When you have control over your hardware, you can make optimizations, and do it better than applel could ever do it.
>>
>>57909056
>When you have control over your hardware, you can make optimization
So you want to say something that's not a buzzword, or no? What "optimization" can you do?
>>
>>57909025
So you're saying time doesn't equal money. Wow what kind of "reality" are you a part of?
>>
>>57906824
Your friend is gay.
>>
>>57909070
Select from a variety of driver choices to best serve your hardware's needs. Force certain features of your hardware off when uneeded. Bend the system to your will rather than having a toy that can't go beyond its original purpose. You were the first to use the "hardware optimizations" buzzword. You can do a lot more. You can change the float point range of your GPU to do FP64 instead of FP32 if you want, hell you can take advantage of your FP16 performance if need be. You can set the clock speed of your CPU for crying out loud, that's a fucking obvious performance increase. Optimization just means to improve cohesion between your hardware and your OS, so that it performs efficiently. You can't even do that with a mac, you are limited in form.
>>
>>57909056
Not even him but what the fuck can you optimize in hardware?
Selecting different components won't get you much more than a generally more or less powerful computer. Your making this sound like there are magic processors which run office programs really well while sucking at web browsing or something along those lines. Shit just doesn't work like this yo
>>
>>57908852
Comparison with business class laptop

Apple
Touch Bar and Touch ID
2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
16GB 2133MHz memory
2TB PCIe-based SSD
Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB memory
Four Thunderbolt 3 ports

Lenovo ThinkPad P70
17.3 4K(3840x2160) IPS Non-Touch
Intel Xeon E3-1505M v5 Processor (8MB Cache, up to 3.70GHz)
32GB(16+16) DDR4 2133MHz ECC SoDIMM
1TB PCIe SSD
NVIDIA Quadro M5000M 8GB

Seriously, Macs are a huge waste of money..
>>
>>57909183
See
>>57909158
>>
>>57909198
>workstation
>business class laptop
Uh, no. I agree the MacBook Pro should be a workstation, though.
>>
The os is amazing, it's fast, it's amazing, fonts look nice, it's amazing, it's fast, it's fast
>>
>>57909074
No, I'm saying you clearly don't know how the world works. Businesses aren't using consumer level support for their machines. They are at least getting parts sent out in a few day and they can get anything from half hour onsite repairs to having parts stocked for them in the building.
>>57909158
Wow, I never thought I'd read such expertly crafted bullshit.
>>
>>57909198
Who the fuck carries around a 17 inch laptop?
>Put it in a bag hur dur
>>
>>57909271
Just saying if you are going to pay that much money at least invest your money into better hardware and not something low powered.

>>57909299
So tell me.. how many fucking Mac geniuses do you see around here? nobody wants to support that shit

>>57909314
Why the hell not? Why would you settle for less? Are you not strong enough? Work that arm muscle
>>
>>57909353
>So tell me.. how many fucking Mac geniuses do you see around here? nobody wants to support that shit
Fuck are you talking about, retard?
>>
>>57908929
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>57909479
Embarrassing.
>>
>>57906824
>less upgradeable, and basically non-serviceable
You pay Apple for the service instead of paying for a full IT department. It's great for smallish companies that can't afford to maintain a real IT department, or people incapable of not breaking their own computer.
>>
>>57907583
>much better hardware optimization
Too bad the kernel sucks so much then, eh?
>>
>>57909479
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
>>57906824
>friend's company
nigga it's you posting shit right now, not your friend or your friends company

fuck off
>>
File: 1461097625507.jpg (46KB, 358x387px) Image search: [Google]
1461097625507.jpg
46KB, 358x387px
>>57909479
>>
>>57906824
Brainwashed morons who've never had a $1000+ computer before.
>>
>>57910194
>great for smallish companies
>memebook overheats and catches fire
>sorry all your company's data is gone forever now, guess you'll have to file bankruptcy
>>
>>57908852
There's literally nothing wrong with USB-C
>>
File: IMG_0611.jpg (231KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0611.jpg
231KB, 1200x1200px
>>57910391
>>>57908929 #
>I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
>Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
>There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>57907743
The operating system is a buggy slow mess. And it's incredibly condescending, but I guess dumb people enjoy that
>>
>>57906824
I swear I've played that game. Does anyone here know what it is or should I ask the reddit thread the image came from?
>>
>>57906824
>They are less powerful than other business class machines,

How's that? When new Macs are released, aside from the Air and that shit-tier Facebook machine they make, they're generally using the best mobile CPUs available at the time.

> they are less upgradeable,

Bro, "cloud". Look how many people on /g/ bitch about how dumb it is to want a MicroSD on a phone. Everyone's using Netflix, [whatever music service is popular], Google Docs, and Office365 now.

> and basically non-serviceable. I don't get it.

Nobody wants those creeps in IT fucking around with their machine anyway. Macs are basically disposable. Buy one, use it for four years, then sell it to some poor person and get a new one.
>>
>>57907743
Full of bullshit. If you're aiming for a Unix environment and bash the Linux subsystem under Windows is better nowadays. Mac ports are an arms race against whatever the macOS devs choose to break for the sake of 'muh redesign' . At least wincucks have guaranteed support.
>>
>>57908217
i'd still buy the tesla, if i had the money.
>>
>>57906824
>I don't get it.

Windows is a pile of pajeet shit steaming in the middle of the street. So compared to Windows Macs are good even when they're sealed tight and overpriced.
>>
File: 1459104794230.png (68KB, 497x822px) Image search: [Google]
1459104794230.png
68KB, 497x822px
>>57910837
>they're generally using the best mobile CPUs available at the time.
How much do you get paid Rajeesh?
>>
File: 1479006842025.png (457KB, 696x938px) Image search: [Google]
1479006842025.png
457KB, 696x938px
>>57910895
FagOS is a bigger steaming pile of shit than Windows could ever be.
>>
>>57907583
>>less upgradeable

You. You are what's wrong with the fucking Mac community right now. I love the OS but the hardware is going to crap because of shit like this.

>>57909011
>Wrong. Not only can you get a massively superior performance machine for 25% the price, but you can actually optimize said machine because you have full access and control over the entire machine (something macs lack)

He meant the OS.
>>
>>57910801
https://archive.org/details/Number_Munchers_v1.2_1986_MECC
>>
>>57910945
That makes sense, it's another Apple II game from my childhood.

Thanks for the link, man.
>>
>>57906824
>How the fuck does this happen?
Lucy, the human resources engineer, is tasked with refurbishing the office with new computers. Lucy uses a Mac at home and reads stories from the Huffington post about hip new offices installing Macs as their primary workstations. Lucy designs a plan to move all the staff over from Windows to mac and sends it to the office manager to sign off on. Peter, the manager, adds some comments about how they will need more data points and new Fax machines because, in his old age, he doesnt know the first thing about technology but wants to pretend like he's an important key to the business. John, the executive, signs off on it without even reading the plan.
>>
>>57907583

have you ever had a job

>Good thing they have the best customer service in the industry

best customer service my ass dude a fucking hard drive swap for my macbook 5 years ago costed $900 that's literally the price of the entire computer bitch ass nigga fuck outta here with that shit fuckin retard
>>
>>57909299
Are you even trying , the argument was not user serviceable which you said didn't matter but then now you go on to say "parts" being sent out . Who's going resolder them in ?
>>
File: 426016516_89628.jpg (66KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
426016516_89628.jpg
66KB, 1280x720px
>>57906824
your friend is gay now. that's a form of cancer, but for the soul. consider getting new friends.
>>
>>57912523
/thread
>>
>>57906824

When I was a kid I used to fucking love number muncher.

Word mucher is literally shit though.
>>
>>57906824
They have excellent style and above average specs which is enough to please non tech people. Plus, the sales team was probably on give year old Dell workstations before with full displays and Pentium processors, making the quality of the iMacs that much more apparent.
>>
>>57906824
ITT: jelly poorfags who cant afford superior computers so they try to find lame excuses
>>
>>57911110
>Lucy, the human resources engineer
>human resources engineer
>engineer
Well meme'd, anon. Lucy is probably an existence-fluid LGBTQQQQ+e10382 mongo-kin, though.
>>
File: pajeetsBTFO.jpg (3MB, 5344x3006px) Image search: [Google]
pajeetsBTFO.jpg
3MB, 5344x3006px
>>57906824
Well, I hated Apple all my life until my work made me get one. Been a PC master race guy all my life and this is my first Apple product.

Now I can see why they're popular especially in my industry (SV software engineering). Seriously, everyone... it's just a fucking laptop. It's not mindblowingly good or bad. It has solid build quality, decent battery life, GOAT screen, and most importantly for my work, OSX. Is it expensive? Sure, but OSX and build quality is worth at least $500 over all the other meme laptops I bought. I have an XPS 13 and a Surface Book right now and they have their pros and cons, but overall more cons.

Honestly, who the hell in tech can't afford a $1800 laptop? I thought it was just a meme, but I'm more convinced everyday these MS shills are Indian IT monkeys making $30,000 who never write code outside of Java and powershell. It's hilarious to me because my buddies that actually do work at Microsoft Seattle also code on macbooks.

It makes me laugh picturing some of you desperately trying to write JS or Swift on Windows just because you hate Apple so much. Or getting so caught up spending tens of thousands dollars in wage-hours making your linux environment minimally productive when you could have invested that time at work and made 10 times the cost of a stupid macbook. I've been there.

Doesn't mean I'm an Apple fan now, it's not like I can replace my gaming rig with a iMac and I'll never switch from Android. But MBPs are pretty good products, which is a funny time for me to discover because the touchbar MBP is the most controversial one so far. But I guess contact hypothesis worked for your friend and I.
>>
File: 1473001568017.png (226KB, 1297x727px) Image search: [Google]
1473001568017.png
226KB, 1297x727px
>>57912755
>throttling overheating toddler toys
>pretty good products
Pick one.
>>
>>57906824
they were always worth the money, OP. It's just that making something permanent is impractacle because of how fast things develop.

that's why we called them macfags, they bought it even though they didn't need it. If they actually needed it, we would have called them "Macmosexuals"
>>
>>57912784
Yeah bro, I could care less if my CPU runs at 0.1 GHz as long as Vim opens and my code compiles. I can actually afford multiple computers for different purposes, unlike you. How's that server maintenance coming along, Raveej?
>>
File: 58h129a.jpg (31KB, 436x245px) Image search: [Google]
58h129a.jpg
31KB, 436x245px
>>57912784
>>57912816
holy fucking rekt
>>
>>57912816
>I could care less
Do so then
>>
>>57910907
Do you have any idea how stupid you look when you post this graphic again and again and it hasn't been true in years?
>>
>>57912816
id die in a fucking fire before trying to compile code in c# and debug a fucking game in unity on a fucking macbook.

already takes long enough with a fucking pc 5x more powerful
>>
i know this thread is trolling, but you do not take BUSINESS LAPTOPS in to third parties for service
business data is too confidential

the laptop must be destroyed and replaced
>>
Had an internship last year and nabbed a 2015 rMBP - hardware is great, OSX isn't flawless but works for me

> Battery life is fucking fantastic (unless you're using Chrome or Firefox...)
> Comfy touchpad gestures
> UNIX base for dev work
> God awful hard drive / NTFS drivers
> F.lux doesn't lock up the whole computer like on Windows
> Window management is a bit arsey, had to buy Moom to get snap / rearrange features
> Upgrade / service doesn't faze me too much (especially since work paid up for a decent model)

Otherwise, my uni relies on iMacs dualbooting Fedora and OSX - had a group project where my partner had the worst fucking time trying to wrangle Windows, C, and the uni's test suite, while I had no issues at all
>>
File: apple2013.jpg (126KB, 1254x786px) Image search: [Google]
apple2013.jpg
126KB, 1254x786px
>>57906824
your friend is stupid
or this story is from 2006 and you are baiting for (You)s
the current state of osx is confirmed trash
the current apple hw state is confirmed overpriced mess, and no touch screen

the switch thing was believable during the Vista days... but today Apple is a fucking joke
>>
>>57910789
This. Every time I have to use a Mac it's an exercise in frustration due to how limited the OS is and how much it tries to baby you.
>>
people tend to forget all the sacrifices they have to endure to use their mac every day

>no right button
>command is the new control, and you have to use your thumb to use it
>NO CUT IN FINDER, MY FUCK THIS IS LITERALLY STUPID
>folders dont sort themselves by default
>no auto fix to grid on folders
>terminal is shit out-of-the-box
>ridiculous amount of itunes updates, to support new stupid shit you wont buy anyway
>good luck with your other devices compatibility
>there is a paid app for that
>gaming performance is a joke
>>
>>57910907
Trust me, my finder is now fucked up. I have to click on a folder several times to open it up!
>>
and the best excuse of any Apple aficionado, for anything you want to do:

look at you with an strange look, and say: 'but... that is not typical day usage... who wants to do that...'
>>
File: 1467947361488.jpg (65KB, 539x480px) Image search: [Google]
1467947361488.jpg
65KB, 539x480px
>>57910881
>Teslas are expensive

The fuck, my 17 year old sister has one, lmao
>>
File: 1416323386521.jpg (10KB, 223x226px) Image search: [Google]
1416323386521.jpg
10KB, 223x226px
>>57906868
>bcus
Please euthanize yourself.
>>
>>57906824
> they are less upgradeable, and basically non-serviceable
I feel bait. Employees don't give a fuck about it.
>>57913954
> typed a really long command in ssh shell
> need to run a similar one
> up arrow, home to move cursor to the beginning of a line
> it scrolls up like a text file
>>
>>57906824
You don't have to use Windows, and that helps a lot.
>>
>>57913954
>>no right button
but i have a right button
>>command is the new control, and you have to use your thumb to use it
but it's a bigger key and easier to hit and control is still there to
>>NO CUT IN FINDER, MY FUCK THIS IS LITERALLY STUPID
yes
>>folders dont sort themselves by default
lolwut? like set your preferences nigger. like use automator to give yourself right-click view/sort presets for your favorite options
>>no auto fix to grid on folders
see above
>>terminal is shit out-of-the-box
better than cmd
>>ridiculous amount of itunes updates, to support new stupid shit you wont buy anyway
well...eh...yeah
>>good luck with your other devices compatibility
everything else works great
>>there is a paid app for that
paid app for what?
>>gaming performance is a joke
why the fuck would i play games on my mbp when i have a ps4 connected to a massive plasma screen with surround sound?
>>
>I don't get it
Stop posting these "omg why r macs so successful I don't understand please help me" you fucking retard.
>>
omg why r macs so successful they cant even run games
useless
>>
>>57906824
>be normie
>buy crappy chink 300 dollar laptops every time
ofcourse he's going to think macbooks are much better
>>
>>57914619
The major problem is that non-Macs usually come with shit operating systems and GNU/Linux is still not for everyone.
Macs are the lesser evil if GNU/Linux is not an option.
>>
>>57914594
I hope your mother dies of AIDS.
>>
>>57913169
Please prove him wrong.
>>
>>57914548
>but i have a right button
no you don't, there is no physical button
>>57914548
>but it's a bigger key and easier to hit and control is still there to
comand+c command+v can literally give you a cramp
>>57914548
>lolwut? like set your preferences nigger. like use automator to give yourself right-click view/sort presets for your favorite options
automator for something that fucking basic
>>57914548
>better than cmd
implying that is a quality feature
>>57914548
>everything else works great
my ass
>>57914548
>paid app for what?
sorry i didnt explain myself properly
i am writing about how a lot of everyday tasks freely available on every other OS, are sold in the osx environment. pls avoid countering with brew and such

i forgot the worst of all IMO
>NO FUCKING DELETE KEY
>>
>>57914667
Also
>Finder can't merge 2 folders and let the user choose which version to keep for each conflict
>Finder can't toggle visibility of hidden files
So polished!
>>
>>57914632
I'd just buy an android tablet at that point.
>>
>>57908988
>Mac
>Workstation
Chose one
>>
>>57906824
Simple machines for simpleminded people.
>>
>>57914842
Brian Kernighan uses a Mac.
>>
>>57914978
Aristoteles used no computer
>>
>>57906868
>this is why proprietary things should not exist. very anti capitalistic.

hahaha
>>
>>57910907
finder is fucking garbage
>>
>>57906824
Osx is bretty good kouhai
>>
>>57906868
>very anti-capitalistic
Nigga, this is textbook capitalism.
>>
File: Mike-Myers-Austin-Powers-1-.jpg (32KB, 349x302px) Image search: [Google]
Mike-Myers-Austin-Powers-1-.jpg
32KB, 349x302px
>>57906824
well /g ended up going for the KDE per suggestion. nice display, lots of great features upon install. running the breeze-dark... sexy bebe'

now working on hardening
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/security

Im at DNSSEC and DNSCRYPT

question is do i need to install dnssec,
or just enable firefox and such specific software
>>
>>57906824
Blaim IBM falling for the Tim cuck meme
>>
>>57915801
wrong thread?
>>
>>57909479
I saw this coming from a thousand miles away
>>
interested in running OSX?

https://www.tonymacx86.com

follow the instructions. It's fucking easy if you aren't a complete retard.

I've been running hackintosh since osx went to intel. Never any serious or showstopper problems. Running 10.12.1 on my old as shit i5 2500 and its faster than anything you can buy from apple insofar as hardware. (for under 5K anyhow).

Give it a try and see if it is your cup of tea. What have you got to lose, an hour of your precious neet-time?

You can always follow the hardware guide and buy a powerful hackintosh for about 800 bucks.
>>
>>57907583
Wow. I knew macfags were artistic, but this is a new low.
>>
>>57906824
Ok I didn't bother to read all of this.

Here's what actually happened:

>new computers
>are faster
yeah so there's that

>macs have actually good displays
so this pretty much why most computer illiterates like them.
My father won't stop complaining about his computers at work now, that I gave him a Dell U2412HM.
>>
>>57912755
>"it makes me laugh"
Sign of insecurity.
>>57912816
>"I could care less" accuse of being shill
More insecurity.
Whole story most likely false, just an apple fanboy.
>>
>>57914548

>better than cmd
CMD is not the bar for terminal features. If you want to talk Windows, it is Powershell, not CMD, that has to be beaten. And you still lose out to every terminal available on Linux distributions out of the box.
>>
they are beautiful and don't run wangblows
that's why
>>
>>57915598
>force customers to buy from your company alone
capitalism has always been about free markets and the death of monopolies
this shit is them trying to impose a forced monopoly.
>>
>>57919442

>le free market capitalism maymay

capitalism is about lazy rich people trying to maximize profits as much as possible by exploiting their workers and consumers, and also by taking advantage of the government whenever it can, which means establishing monopolies if possible
>>
>>57906824
Because unlike /g/, he's actually had the experience of using one for an extended time. He figured out how to delete files and right-click.
>>
>>57919722
Has he figured out how to merge 2 folders without defaulting to keep-newer on every single conflict? No? Ok.
>>
>>57920102
He probably doesn't have shitty organizational habits.
>>
>>57920367
>can't do [thing]
>"everyone who wants to do [thing] is [insult]"
>>
File: download.png (140KB, 953x420px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
140KB, 953x420px
>>57920504
>Windows can't do [thing]
>"why the fuck would anyone need that?"
>>
My family owns 3 laptops:

Thinkpad T520
Asus
HP Garbage book

All bought in 2011-2012.

I own a 2012 retina MBP 15.

Guess which one is the only laptop still working(perfectly I might add) today?
>>
>>57906824
shiny saturated colors. also they work flawlessly for normies.
>>
>>57909011
dude, the software is well optimized, theres no counter argument
look for FCPX vs Premiere Pro comparisons, it renders shit faster on the slower mac hardware most of the times
>>
>>57915598
Capitalism is just communism in reverse
>>
>>57922278

I'm going to guess the thinkpad.
>>
>>57908342
Which Elitebook are you using?
>>
>>57909299
A serious business will have multiple ready spares with their standard image.

Notebook breaks, hand user a replacement, then IT can deal with getting the busted unit serviced.
>>
>>57909011
> but you can actually optimize said machine because you have full access and control over the entire machine (something macs lack)

So you're going to write hardware drivers yourself because the default Linux ones are often lacking for cutting edge hardware?

>you can do an upgrade for much cheaper, bringing the machine's specs up to date while recycling what isn't obsolete.

But that would be for a desktop, most Mac users use a laptop and Windows laptops aren't much more upgradable. I don't understand people who buy Apple desktops though.

>You have to understand that time=money, instead of leaving someone out of work while their machine is being sent off to Apple, which could take multiple business days, all for which you are paying an employee hourly while they can't do their job, it's better to just fix the machine yourself, and in the long run it will end up far cheaper too.

Oftentimes, they give you a new device right there unless it was a custom order.
>>
File: 1462107840259.png (94KB, 340x310px) Image search: [Google]
1462107840259.png
94KB, 340x310px
>>57906824
Yes, macs are good. I don't have one, but i had to use one in work for a month and it was great.

>power
modern hardware is overkill. you don't need a fucking desktop i7 for basic coding or shitposting on 4chan anonymous image posting board. in age where everything is packed with really proper hardware, processing power is one of least important aspecst of computing device

>upgradeable
so what? you buy a mac and it lasts for five years without giving outdated feel, and then you buy another one

>non serviceable
>prioritizing aspect of laptop that's useful only when it breaks, in modern world it's one in a million chance

If i wouldn't be getting enraged every time i'm trying to write longer text on all of those crappy modern 0.01mm travel range, flat keyboards, i'd probably get a mac.

Also, macOS is cool. I set up hackintosh and used it for a week or two, if my comfort zone wouldn't be oriented around linux for last ~ten years, i'd probably use it right now. It has proper unix terminal, it looks great, some interface solutions (three finger swipe gesture to switch between fullscreen windows) are amazing.
>>
>>57924163
This is true of all laptops.

The bad thing about Macs are that they're horribly overpriced. They're on the same level as Alienware laptops in terms of wallet rape, but people buy them because they gotta have that brushed aluminum aesthetic.

I can use the "processing power isn't important and neither is upgrading" to sell a shitty Chromebook to someone at literally 1/10th the price of a macbook-- and it will actually have an audiojack and USB ports.
>>
>>57924163
Keyboard shortcuts are all batshit retarded, and it's impossible to get to the fucking folder you're looking for in finder or open/save dialogs. There isn't a single program that can open ANY archive as a folder instead of just spitting files fucking everywhere when I try and open it.
>>
>>57919672
evil and greedy people think this way.
and realists who see the market for what it is.
but gubbermints generally try to prevent shit like this from happening. which is why i'm baffled applel is allowed to get away with this walled garden of "we own your purchased item, not you, and thus you're stuck with whatever software we lock your hardware with"
>>
>>57922558
they're really the same though.
cause greedy sacks of shit at the top manage to ruin either system seemingly effortlessly.
in theory communism would work far better, but in practice with greed and corruption running rampant, capitalism isn't half as bad as commy life
>>
>>57924257
>processing power isn't important
i never said that. I said that modern hardware is overkill.

5250U in MBA is good enough, and you usually don't need anything better for everyday job (and if you do, you know it and buy hardware suited for your needs), but some kind of 2010 atom (or whatever) in chromebook is shit.

>overpriced
people want to pay for quality, apple ecosystem, and nice, popular logo. If it sells, it means it's priced right.
>>
>>57924282
You need to learn to computer
>>
>>57906824
I got a 2011 mbp for free recently, threw an SSD in there and yeah, it's really nice.

I use it more than the lenovo next to it mainly because of the keyboard being so much better.
>>
>>57906824
anything is better than windows
>>
>omg someone who used Macs extensively really likes them, I can't believe this is the opposite of my opinion even though I haven't even used a Mac before

Average post on /g/.
>>
>>57909011

>buy a cheaper machine and optimize it yourself!!

We don't all have weeks to spend in our basements making Arch function you delusional autist. That is an incredibly dumb thing to suggest.

You miss the point entirely, its running macOS. That is the only thing that matters.
>>
Is 2,0 c2d iMac an okay media machine? One guy from work put it up for $170. My college had the same one and was always impressed how well it did things
>>
>>57906924
he's a stupid phoneposter
>>
>>57926658

A few years ago some guy at my college got an old white plastic MacBook from like 2006 for £100. Didn't even have an SSD.

It shit all over the brand new laptops that the college gave us to do work on. I couldn't believe it. The software optimization especially on Macs that shipped with Snow Leopard or before is amazing.
>>
>>57906868

>bcus
>using proprietary SMS words

Why havent you killed yourself yet you slippery gypsie?
>>
>>57926692
>2006
>SSD
>Macbook
>Shit over free computers
applefags use software optimization as a buzzword because they are incompetent
>>
>>57926807

What are you trying to say here? Are you implying you can't put an SSD on an old Mac to make it even faster?

>applefags use software optimization as a buzzword because they are incompetent

This makes no sense.
>>
>>57906824
Nobody in the business upgrades their machines you fucking twat. The only time they do anything to the computers once bought is if something breaks.

All they care about is "does it just werks?"
>>
>>57926905
No I'm saying you have a brain aneurysm if you put an ssd in a 2006 mac.
>>
>>57912816
>CPU runs at 0.1 GHz as long as Vim opens and my code compiles.

>0.1 GHz
>compile

webdev?
>>
o shit what was that game called?
>>
You have to remember /g/ is, ironically or not, a Linux shill board. There's a bias and agenda. What didn't fit gets memed to death. /g/ never cared about technology. They care about having a safe space.

With that said, I've tried it all and Apple products are by far superior. The whole experience is first class. I don't know how to explain it, but you'd understand once you use it. It's even the little things that make it great.

You know what it does? It makes you productive and happy to use it. It all just works. It made me get back into things I didn't like before. In Windows everything would be a boring chore and I'd always have to tinker with it. And then the dreaded Windows rot happens.

Having to reinstall Windows every few months to refresh it and make it faster is a very bad sign for the operating system. We all know it. macOS doesn't need that.
>>
>>57906824
I actually want to know what game that is :^)
>>
>>57906824
Because new thing > old thing, and your friend probably hasn't tried any brand new comparable PCs. Of course a fresh Mac is going to feel amazing compared to some old and tired office PC.

The same effect happens with pretty much everything, and it's why you can never trust shit like Amazon product reviews.
>>
>>57928948
Number Munchers.
>>
I got a hand-me-down iPhone recently.

It works. It works quite well. It works better than android in some respects, but only in the respect that it can do these things because it doesn't allow any user or app to have the same freedom over the OS. The lockscreen applets and ability to look at directions without having to unlock for instance. That's a small but geniunely useful thing.

At the same time, it sucks. It sucks mondo cock. You can't mount it as a disk and just put music on it, no, that'd be too easy. It doesn't take SD cards either, because again, that'd be too easy.

Apple locks shit down and makes it "just werk". When it doesn't work, or doesn't work the way you need or want it to, you're SOL. But your average luser doesn't generally want to do things it can't do, or tells themselves this. And if it stops working, they return it to the store for repairs or get the new one because they want to be trendy anyway.

>>57929597
Linux doesn't need that either, and can do everything that a mac can. Linux, once set up, definitely keeps you just as productive. You just need to not suck. Learning not to suck may take a bit of time.

Have you ever tried working in 4 different windows at once under a mac OS? Had a terminal window running a service that needed to be reloaded every time you finished tinkering with your code? Tell me you can do this more efficiently on a mac than on a linux computer with a tiling wm.

On top of this, you'll always get more bang for your buck by not buying a mac.
>>
>>57906824
tell that poor bastards sysadmin I'm sorry.
>>
>>57926641
Why? How is it better than Fedora or Ubuntu?
>>
>>57926641
so use ubuntu or manjaro, lol

you're so obviously facetious
>>
OP here. What the fuck, this thread is still up?
>>
>>57908929
OS X is based on NeXTSTEP, which predates Linux by about two years. in fact, OSX is basically a rebranded NeXTSTEP.

https://youtu.be/gveTy4EmNyk
https://youtu.be/pQaqDQx3Lo8

Linux was first released in 1991 while NeXTSTEP was released in 1989.
>>
>>57908929
>simply because it has unix terminal and unix OS structure, it's linux

oh well
i guess linux is the most popular (not)unix, isn't it
>>
>>57930246

>how is macOS better than ubuntu lol?

Are you seriously this fucking dumb? Is Ubuntu going to be installed and magically perfectly tailored for my machine? A Mac is a package you idiot, how do you still not get this simple concept? People here don't know shit about the basics of anything tech.
Thread posts: 159
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.