[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats wrong with MSi products? I was planning to buy a MSi Z170

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

Whats wrong with MSi products? I was planning to buy a MSi Z170 M7 for my new rig but was curious enough to see what was the hate with them. ASRock boards are fucking garbage, ASUS has literally shit customer service and worse RMA, Gigabyte boards break easily and had problems with them in the past when trying to OC.

Lets be honest /g/, MSi might shift their market to gaymers they're the only decent manufacturer around.
>>
I've only had asus and msi Mobos. I love my msi. I've had three different ones. Currently have a z170 m5. My 6600k is at 4.8. No issues. Easy to oc, navigate. Ram xml profile easy to load. Don't listen to these saps
>>
>>57900736

My MSI motherboard is 5 years old and still works perfect (P67-GD53)

They make pretty good stuff.

Never tried any other motherboards though other than the prebuilt OEM Dell Mobo I had before (which is still working with a Q6600 btw).

Had bad experience with Asus but with their Laptops

Gigabyte I've had a graphics card, it's also 4 years old now, it's OK. You can't OC it even by 1MHz or it'll crash though.
>>
>>57900736
MSi is fine
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zTzpYjQ2MM
>>
>>57901144
>Using an unsupported processor on a 970 then jamming a fucking key on one of the pins.
Yeah I can see why their products are bad.
>>
>>57900736
I have that exact board. I still haven't been able to boot Ubuntu on EFI. Gives gazillion USB addressing / connection errors and then doesn't boot.
>>
>>57901144
>it's on fire
>better leave it run for a bit
I hope this guy's fucking house burns down
>>
>>57901568
This. I don't know what he was thinking. Everywhere I've worked, the procedure has been you see smoke, the power cord gets yanked out that second. You don't wait to see what happens next.
>>
>>57901554
Shit really? What Distro did you use? I was planning to install Solus and maybe Debian.
>>
>>57900736
using an MSI gtx 980ti, works great
nothing wrong with MSI, only the color scheme lol
>>
File: 600[1].jpg (101KB, 600x362px)
600[1].jpg
101KB, 600x362px
>>57900736
My very first build had an MSI K8N Neo4-F and some occasional issues that were probably the used OS HDD's fault but wiggling the RAM sticks solved the problem sometimes, weirdly enough. The cooling fan broke, became rattly and loud as fuck and was so proprietary that I never found a proper replacement. Trying to loosen its screws broke 2 small screwdrivers so I gave up and left it in place, it didn't impede the overall function.

I'm currently using a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H and it's performing flawlessly but I would still consider MSI for my next motherboard as long as it wasn't a budget or GAYMUR option.
>>
File: speccy3.png (43KB, 953x623px)
speccy3.png
43KB, 953x623px
>>57901701
Forgot to add, my first own prebuilt Siemens also uses an MSI board and it's still working over a decade later, although it wasn't pushed very hard other than a very light overclock once.
>>
>>57901613
Ubuntu. Literally a distro that should boot no problem on 99% of computers, but doesn't on this board. I've tried 16.04 and 14.05. Same issue on both.
>>
>>57901471
it's okay, that retarded eurotrash will die of cancer from the burning plastic :)
the stupid will be removed of the gene pool from its own stupidity
>>
>>57900736
>Gigabyte boards break easily

U L T R A

D U R A B L E
>>
I've got a z97 gaming 7 (no 'a') and a twin frozr iii 7950 boost.

Seems fine.
>>
>>57900736
I worked quite some time building custom PC's and I had only seen a few DOA msi products. While I'm fairly certain overall the component quality doesn't vary wildly between one manufacturer to another, I do think MSI may test their boards more strictly. Anecdotal evidence aside, I was probably well in the hundreds of PC's built and it was definitely something I noticed.
>>
>>5790073 Z270 M7 comes out in like a month. Might want to wait on pulling the trigger.

http://wccftech.com/msi-z270-gaming-7-tomahawk-motherboard-leak/
>>
>>57901739
Looked online too, apparently people were also having issues with other Distros, mostly because of the newer chipsets it was using. I can probably live with it, I use Linux on my T420 anyways and my older rig can handle it.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.