[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Low Overhead on Server Looking for suggestions / What do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Low Overhead on Server

Looking for suggestions / What do you guys do?

TLDNR: Can you have a DE (such as KDE Plasma) installed on an Ubuntu or Debian PC but have it not run by default?

Full version:
I finally got 4 of my servers consolidated into VMs using QEMU on Ubuntu (thanks for the suggestions of /g/!). I'm happy with my setup now, but I want to disable the DEs on my Host and Guests so that I can run them headless and save overhead. Is this worth dicking around with / what do you guys do?

This is only for my home network and purely for my personal learning / lab.
>>
Why don't you just search this? It would take you less time than typing this out.
>>
>>57883829
>Why don't you just search this? It would take you less time than typing this out.

I am currently researching methods for turning off the DE, but most GNU/Linux documentation is focused on HOW to do something rather than WHY. I wanted to get a good grasp on this concept and learn if my friends are doing this / if it's just a big waste of time.

Thanks.
>>
>>57884223
Personally I just install minimal version of whatever server OS I'm running. But yest I think you should disable it if you are worried about overhead.
>>
So what I'm wondering is do I need to go through systemd to disable X, or do i manage the config files to change the default boot mode for grub?

From what i can tell, disabling X on startup does not disable the remote x client and also allows me to launch a DE once im logged in if need be.

I'm confused because i am still finding documentation post-systemd integration that is telling me to manage grub config files.
>>
>>57886222
I think you need to mess with gdm configs.
>>
>>57883829
uninstall the display manager
>>
>>57883829
Disable the service for / uninstall whatever display manager you're using. You'll automatically login to a shell, but you can go graphical with "$ exec startkde" or the alternative command for whatever desktop you want. Kill the X server (usually C+A+backspace) to go back to shell. Caveat: GNOME Wayland only works with GDM, in my experience.
>>
>>57884223

Ask yourself why you need a DE on a server anyway. Just download ubuntu server and you won't have to go through all that.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.