[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

the processors are like about 2V, most of controllers on boards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: batteryWireDiagram.jpg (14KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
batteryWireDiagram.jpg
14KB, 400x200px
the processors are like about 2V, most of controllers on boards are 3.3V, or even if not there is still possibility to use those 3.3V max.
Co how the fuck god damn engeneers need 12.6V in notebooks when in any tablet use 4.2V usually 1 cell or 2 parallel??? They putting buttload of DC-DC converters anyway! They convert DC to HV AC/DC orever for backlight and lcd anyway. I got in tablet like 5 DC-DCs converters. There is NOTHING on boards that need this high voltage. Isn't thats wasting capacity that is divided by number of cells?
WHY
>>
>>57880171
legacy interfaces, like SATA, PCI-E, etc needs 12v
>>
>>57880171
PCI-E uses 12v and a number of devices use the PCI-E interface now, like fast SSDs.
>>
>>57880265
>PCI-E
Is there PCIE on noteboks? For graphics i assume?
But still there are stepups conv's.
>>
The batteries won't give you stable 4.2v and
Just a simple diode can drop the voltage under 3.3v of a not fully charged battery.

Also you need 5V for USB at least. And it's easier to step the voltage down than to step it up.
>>
>>57880171
And older mini ata "classic" 3.5" disks didn'd use 12V, just 5V, they might be connected via usb, external disks. So again, why the fuck do they using so idiotic 12V...
>>
>>57880319
>The batteries won't give you stable 4.2v and
>Just a simple diode can drop the voltage under 3.3v of a not fully charged battery.
>Also you need 5V for USB at least. And it's easier to step the voltage down than to step it up.

All these things are fixed by step ups that they using anyway...
>>
>>57880302
>Is there PCIE on noteboks?
Of course there is.
>>
>>57880329
Which have different requirements than the rest.
A backlight doesn't some very stable voltage like a modern CPU for example.
>>
>>57880350
*need
>>
>>57880171
If the laptop battery is 12V then to provide 60W of power it needs to deliver 5A of current.

If the battery was 5V then to provide 60W of power it would need to deliver 12A of current.

Guess which generates more heat.
>>
>>57880171
Screen backlight is 9v
External USB-C devices can draw 9, 12 and 20 volts too.
>>57880302
NIC, Wireless cards, Thunderbolt controllers, LTE cards and so on.
>>
>>57880375
generated heat is dependent on the power
>>
>>57880398
not in case of leakage current. however with CMOS tech the only leakage occurs at switching time - i.e. high to low or low to high, and CMOS is typically 1.2V anyways and doesnt need 60W power so i dont know what that anon was getting at.
>>
>>57880398
In the components/wires, but not in the battery.
>>
>>57880426
in some of the components higher current at same power can actually make a difference when they have roughly the same voltage drop for different voltages

but I don't see how it does for the battery cells
>>
>>57880302
Expressports, WWAN cards and M.2 SSDs also.
>>
>>57880386
>USB-C devices can draw 9, 12 and 20 volts too.
WHAT?? ALL usb is 5V.
>>57880375
>60W
What is draining this 60W? Can you tell me? And anyway they either step up or step down voltage anyway.
>>
>>57880476
>What is draining this 60W?
Everything in the system.
And the fact that change the voltage isn't the point, the current being drawn from the battery increases the temperature of the battery and that has two effects.
One, it decreases the battery's life at an increased rate.
Two, heat is a loss of energy.
>>
>>57880476
Not all, USB-C implements higher voltages for fast charging.
>>
>>57880476
>I have no idea what I'm talking about
>But I know better than the engineers that make laptops
You're funny.
>>
>>57880723
Normal people usually just don't say anything when they dont know what to add to topic or explain something.
>>
>>57881113
This is 4chan though.
>>
>>57881113
Bull fucking shit

If you came out of the basement and actually talked to normal people, you'd know that they "know" things after watching a shitty american "documentary" on the subject.
>>
>>57881113
If you're insinuating that I should have spoon fed OP then I don't know what to tell you. Other anons have done so quite well in this thread and OP has proceeded to ignore them. The only thing left is to point out how hilarious his behaviour is.
>>
>>57880476
Screen drains 9W, ULV CPU tops at 30, SATA SSD 5W, other on-board chips around 7 watts on maximum.
Now you add connected USB devices, headphones, speakers, and so on.
They need some overhead to provide sufficent power to whole system without power supply shutting down from overcurrent.
>>
>>57880476
>ALL usb is 5v
Not anymore grandpa
>>
>>57881564
Also, I pulled the 60W figure from my ass because I was just illustrating the difference in current draw on the battery for the different voltages.

I'm sure someone would also say "why not make the battery 50V then if dropping the current is so much better for it" but then you have greater problems with the power conversion. You'll have higher heat generation in the conversion of 50v down to the next highest usable voltage which means that is less efficient and requires greater cooling.

It seems that 12~18v is the sweet spot.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.