[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Switching from Debian to Arch as my primary distro, what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: debian_arch.jpg (5KB, 136x152px) Image search: [Google]
debian_arch.jpg
5KB, 136x152px
Switching from Debian to Arch as my primary distro, what should I expect /g/?
>>
memes and dreams
>>
The same systemd infected garbage that you're used to.
>>
>>what should I expect /g/?
no systemd

>Download snapshot(s)

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/runit/

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/eudev-git/

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&SeB=nd&K=nosystemd&outdated=&SB=n&SO=a&PP=50&do_Search=Go
>some build more than one pkg

# nano /etc/makepkg.conf
PKGEXT='.pkg.tar'
SRCEXT='.src.tar'

>makepkg
>>
>>57877869
>>57877897

Never really understood what is actually so bad about systemd. I realise it goes against the UNIX design philosophy of many small packages that each do one thing well, but it works, so why exactly does everyone seem to have such an issue with it.
>>
>>57877943
It's being forced down everyones throat. Many common projects now depend on it. It touches everything in the system. It's a like a virus.
>>
>>57877943
this >>57877955
plus it's too big too complex and surely as a result too vulnerable
add to that the attitude of some key devs
>>
>>57877822
a downgrade
>>
>>57878031
If this is the case, why do so many people on /g/ use arch and not debian?
>>
>>57878044
because they don't like koding with karlie
>>
>>57877822
Heaven
>>
> what should I expect
Packages that aren't SIX FUCKING MONTHS OUT OF DATE
A different repo. Seems like a weird thing to mention I know, but the package selection for arch shows quite a few packages that are unique to arch, and forgetting some of the less common ones from debian. You'll get used to having to hunt around for some obscure utility you used to use, and more then likely you'll find a better alternative
netctl which is, finally, a networking daemon that actually knows what's up, easy to configure, good documentation and is reliable and predictable to use, just think of it as an extension of systemd, and you won't have any problems
Better package manager that actually tells you what's happening and gets straight to the point. Ever run apt and thought "that's dumb, why'd it do that?" Well not anymore.
>>
A good distro
>>
pacman -Ss might come in handy

also -Syuu and -Rsc
>>
>>57877822
to brick your machine by not reading the forums before updating lel
but seriously, lots of compiling from scratch when there's not something in the pacaur already. pacaur is pretty niffty. it's community driven, and so far has had the only version of spotify that hasn't eaten a linux install by a failed update (mint, debian, and fedora RIP IN PEACE)
>>
>>57879993
okay. you won the argument
>>
File: debian-flow.png (2MB, 4083x2250px) Image search: [Google]
debian-flow.png
2MB, 4083x2250px
>>57879993
>Packages that aren't SIX FUCKING MONTHS OUT OF DATE
Myth.
>>
>>57877822
>apt-get update
>bash: comand not found
>>
Enjoy your time sink
>>
Don't waste your time with arch, install gentoo.
>>
more manual configuration merges
more updates
less outdated software
>>
File: 1475714289301.jpg (6KB, 240x250px) Image search: [Google]
1475714289301.jpg
6KB, 240x250px
>>57881530
>>
>>57877822
Tech support simulator.
>>
>>57877822
that pms going down the sink looks bad on fat guy's hair
>>
>>57880540
It's like a real software company.
>>
breakage
>>
>>57877822
Packages from this decade
>>
File: FB_IMG_1481071855268_1.jpg (41KB, 528x412px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1481071855268_1.jpg
41KB, 528x412px
Stay a Debro and get the Stretch beta.
>>
>>57882953
>>57881747
>less outdated software

>>57880540
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.