[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I picked 'Data Structures and Algorithms' as my elective

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: 1tbo4oggopnx.png (763KB, 1182x785px) Image search: [Google]
1tbo4oggopnx.png
763KB, 1182x785px
I picked 'Data Structures and Algorithms' as my elective in my programming-centric program. Chose it over other things like 'Mobile App Development - Android', 'Parallel Programming Fundamentals' and 'Introduction to Datawarehousing'.

How good of a move was this? What will this knowledge be used for (what field is it most used in)?
>>
>>57858147
Sounds like you fucked up when choosing your school.
>>
Why is that not a mandatory part of your curriculum?
>>
>>57858147
That's not a requirement?
>>
>>57858164
This, what the fuck
No wonder people can't code anything

Solid choice anyway, but I also recommend taking all of those if possible, specially "parallel programming"
>>
>>57858194

It's a 3 year program, not a degree. First two years cover things like sql, databases, c, c++, programming for the internet. Third year courses are more advanced topics like what I mentioned and are chosen from a list of choices. Classes are at the college level so things are primarilly geared towards the lower echelons of web/mobile/database/game development, with an enphasis on practical skills over courses heavy on theory.
>>
File: lul.jpg (62KB, 680x646px) Image search: [Google]
lul.jpg
62KB, 680x646px
>>57858278

>program not a degree
>two years to cover sql and relational databases
>two years to cover a pointless intro to c/c++
>programming for the internet

nigga what? do you mean server side development? clientside? backend?

>geared toward pajeet development and practical skills

nigga so far they've given you nothing. If you're only doing data structures in 3rd year they're fucking you in the ass.

c/c++ development is going to be way harder than what they've prepared you for in all likelihood, especially backend stuff.

You picked right but most people learn basic DSA in their first year.

If you're just starting there I'd highly recommend getting your money back and going to a college with a decent 4 year course.
>>
>>57858147
Prakesh?
>>
>>57859051

> c/c++ development is going to be way harder than what they've prepared you for in all likelihood, especially backend stuff

In what way? For context in my c++ class this semester I just finished learning about multi-threading, smart pointers, functors, lambdas, more about templates/class templates/inheritance, STL containers/algorithms, etc. I know this isn't the be all and end all but this knowledge seems appropriate, I think?

> do you mean server side development? clientside? backend?

All of the above. Sorry for not being more specific.
>>
>>57858147
at my uni you have to take that kind of class before you take literally anything else
you can take like 3 CS classes total before taking that one
is your course at a fucking liberal arts college OP
>>
>>57859426
I do CS at a liberal arts and data structures is also an early requirement, OP is either a bootcamp idiot or a pajeet
>>
b ump
>>
>>57858147
This class should he the first thing before anything, along with linear algebra, Calc and some humanities shit.
>>
>>57858147
>data structures and algorithms are combined in one course
>they aren't even mandatory
what in the hell
>>
>>57858147

>>57858155
this

though, it seems to me you made the best choice given the options. If you have a chance, try to pickup Parallel Programming Fundamentals as well.
>>
File: Sci's CS reading list.jpg (3MB, 2500x3500px) Image search: [Google]
Sci's CS reading list.jpg
3MB, 2500x3500px
>>57861547
This.
>>
>>57861640
Where is that "how to tell if your programming class is shit according to the textbook" list?
>>
>>57861547
Are calc and linear algebra really needed for programming though?
>>
>>57861575
>>57858196>>57859426

I disagree. He doesn't need to know that for business-tier programming. It's good to know but not required. If you work in financials / video game / OS development however you need to be efficient. Pajeets come in and write "for for for for for select select select" and kill performance but it gets shit done. Oh and they still make six figures
>>
>>57861686
depends on what you want to do
calc can be broadly useful, but it's not ike you need it for most stuff
linear algebra is pretty essential if you want to do anything like 3D games
>>
Dont listen to g trolls.
Picking that was the best decision you've made so far

Godspeed
>>
>>57861640
what should i do to get up /g/'s level on maths?
>>
>>57861757
if you want to beat /g/ on math then some leap frog book on math or something
>>
File: 1479184891818.gif (451KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1479184891818.gif
451KB, 500x500px
This thread was depressing but at least I know better now.
If my GPA stays good I can transfer into a decent degree and things should be better. Will try to enjoy the coursework as is/my life until then.
>>
>>57861757
Learn algebra
>>
>>57861640
>Taking care of myself
>For young people with autism
can recommend
>>
>>57858147
Do you happen to go to the UTAS?
>>
Youre not a compsci major right?
RIGHT! ??
>>
you're fucked

>pointers
>linked lists, stacks, queues
>trees, graphs
>>
>>57861547
>>57861686
Linear algebra is the worst fucking meme when it comes to maths for computer science
It's only useful when doing 3D shit along with analysis
>>
>>57858147
Chose it over other things like '[...] Android'
Dodged a bullet OP.
>>
>>57864905
But thats fucking wrong.

Linear algebra has applications in graph theory, machine learning, probability, data processing, encryption and the list goes on.
Its one of the most important math courses in cs
>>
>>57858147
du gjorde bra bror
>>
>>57861575
>data structures and algorithms are combined in one course
That's not a bad thing though. You need data structures for a lot of algorithms, so it makes sense to learn them at the same time. Eg linked lists with sorts; graphs, trees, hashmaps with a bunch of related algorithms.
>>
>>57861712
What's wrong with having nested for loops
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.