[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the most efficient way of running Visual Studio on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: Visual-Studio.jpg (197KB, 1576x1182px) Image search: [Google]
Visual-Studio.jpg
197KB, 1576x1182px
What's the most efficient way of running Visual Studio on Linooks?
Visual Studio is the comfiest IDE so tell me /g/, how could I run Visual Studio on GNU/Linux/systemd with the less resources possible?
Is running a full Windows VM the only way?
>>
Have you tried visual studio code? I'm not aware of its feature set but it is supposed to bring a VS type experience to GNU/loonix
>>
>>57851234
eclipse is your answer
or just install windows
>>
>>57851303
I've tried but doesn't feel as comfy.
It's a bit slow, doesn't include the GUI designer and I like more Visual Studio's debugging interface.
If I have to run a full VM I'll stick with whatever other thing but I really enjoyed VS when I used Winblows.
>>
>>57851336
I'll check it out.
>>
Vim has more and better features.

Vim doesn't constantly break.

Vim is not 60gb installed

Vim is actually used by professionals
>>
>>57852180
No. Just fucking no.
>>
Visual Studio is now on Mac if you have such a hard on for UNIX.
>>
>>57852208
*rebranded Xamarin Studio
>>
>>57851303
Isn't VS Code just a rebranded Atom?
>>
>>57852208
It's literally just monodevelop
>>
>>57851234
If you want an IDE, I'd go with either Eclipse or a Jetbrains product
>>
>>57852180
>vim
>professionals
>>
i need to develope in wpf for the school, so i run visualstudio in wine to do that
pic related
>>
>>57852344
Have you ever been to a developers conference? Most people will be using vim. Just got back from a talk with some google developers working on Go and every single one was using Vim, in fact google has banned windows from the premises, so VS is not used at all.

Not even developers at MS use VS, most program on unix or Linux using vim or some other text editor.
>>
File: thread.gif (975KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
thread.gif
975KB, 400x225px
>>57852394
rekt
>>
Depends on the field. Vídeo game programmers making state of the art engines do it in Visual Studio.
>>
File: 1467557003265s.jpg (3KB, 125x119px) Image search: [Google]
1467557003265s.jpg
3KB, 125x119px
>>57852444
>another /v manlet glorifying vidya "developers"
>>
>>57852696
next thing you're going to tell me is that Professional Video editors used KdenLive and Kino to edit video and not Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas etc.

That's what you're laughing at.
>>
>>57852306
it runs on the same shitty javascript-gui framework.
>>
>>57852444
90% of programming doesn't even involve graphics, it's all backend stuff. When I went into CS about 3/4 of the class were idiot neck beards who wanted to learn to code video games, by the time I graduated there were maybe 2 or 3 of those guys left. They thought coding a video game basically involved morphing 3D shapes in a program like blender.

Video game devs (expecially on the internet) are retards.
>>
>>57852394
>in fact google has banned windows from the premises
because people preferred to use it and they got butthurt?
>>
>>57852394
>why aren't they using competitors products???
kys
>>
>>57852981
they got butthurt about the security issues in windows
>>
Just use Visual Studio Code and Cmake
>>
>>57852306
As far as I know, it's just Microsoft's editor that's based off of GitHub's Electron. Atom is also based off the same thing, but that's about all they have in common.

OP: I use VSCode a lot for work. Shits comfy once you set it up right. Although, I haven't done anything with C/C++/C# with it. Most stick to Python, JS, and Go. However, it's apparently pretty good for C#.
>>
>>57851234
As a VS lover, I got pretty comfy under GNU/Linux with JetBrains’ IDEs, especially with CLion. They’ve also just released the EAP of Rider, for C#, you should check them out.
Also, if you’re a student, you can have all their stuff for free for one year.
>>
>>57852394
Why is vim shilled so hard here? I almost never see emacs discussed

Not that I really mind seeing as I use it
>>
>>57853792
retards like to trigger other retards to see them sperg out.

4chan has gotten so out of control that i don't really know who is baiting who anymore. for all i know, this comment could be bait.
>>
>>57853792
Vim is a really popular editor.
>>
>>57853692
Looks great, sucks that my Europoor school's domain is not .edu and it's not registered.
I'll try it using the 30day trial and see what to do once it finishes.
>>
>>57851364
>a bit slow
Just like VS.
>>
>>57852350
How much of a pain in the ass it was to set up?
Does it give any problems?
Did you install 2010 because 2015 doesn't work?
>>
>>57854289
I’m from Europe too, you just need proof you’re a student (student card / proof of scholarship / whatever). Heck I even got the free year with studies somehow related to CS (I changed since) and they accepted it.
>>
>>57854327
VS is not made in shitty electron.
>>
>>57854336
Nice, will try to apply then.
>>
>>57854350
Which makes it more embarrassing that it is so slow.
>>
>>57853692
JetBrains makes really good IDEs.
>>
>>57854391
they do, and if people really want to stick with VS, they also have Resharper.
>>
>Visual Studio
>comfy
If you stay away from dependencies and Nuget, sure.
>warning: package whatever is 1.0.0, expected 1.1.0
FUCKING WHY
>>
Spacemacs reporting in. Switching from vim was uncomfortable, but I'm much more productive with spacemacs.

based org-mode, helm and lisp along with vim style editing and additional emacs goodies
>>
>>57853247
>shitty security
>butthurt
ok kid
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.