[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

le me has some questions. I put together parts for a pc i w

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: agprIZRg.jpg (36KB, 548x353px) Image search: [Google]
agprIZRg.jpg
36KB, 548x353px
le me has some questions.
I put together parts for a pc i would like to build. The last time I built a PC was 2005ish and at that time we discussed about AGP 8x slots. So I am having a hard time with graphics card and CPU choice

What do I need the PC for? I will run it with linux most of the time.
o) everyday occurrence such as watch TV and vids
o) I will run intensive statistics calculation to test before sending it to the computation center
o) I plan to to some video editing & transcoding
o) I will run it on windows for some games (racing games, GTA, x-plane simulator and Farming Simulator 17 (that's a thing in my country)
o) I will need to attach a conventional PCI card (yes, I got them, need them, when I grew up ISA slots were unbeatable)

This is what I picked: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yzpnyf

So basically I have four questions:
1. For the graphic cards I have two options: GeForce GTX 1080 or 1070. I read a lot, I still don't get it, both have the same 8 GB VRAM. I have no intentions in VR or 4k at the moment. Vendor claims "new" GDDR5X would increase memory clock, so what? Is it worth going for the 1080? seems a lot of money.

2. 6700K vs. 6700, worth?
I would pay manageable 30 bucks more for the 6700K, but I do not plan to overclock and I realised that the "maximum Turbo Boost" clock speed is about the same for both, while the advertised clock speed are 4.0 and 3.4, respectively. So which clock speed matters doing calculations? Will this be a advantage?

3. My mainboard will have 2 external USB 3 ports and some mainboards would offer like 4 or 6 such USB ports. But do I assume correct that these would share the same bandwidth so it's basically the same as a USB hub? I thought in most cases there are only two USB 3 controllers and therefore 2x all the full USB 3 speed, right? Back in my days, I was happy having a different USB controller for internal and external (USB 2.0 of course)

4. Will all play together?
imho yes

all input on this welcome, thx
>>
>le me
>>
File: reddit.jpg (149KB, 800x820px) Image search: [Google]
reddit.jpg
149KB, 800x820px
>>57842703
>le
>>
>le me
>>
>>57842762
>>57842813
>>57842829

oui, c'est moi...
>>
>>57842703
> I will run it with linux most of the time.
>wants a GTX 1080 for games
make up your mind

also why are you getting a k cpu and pairing it with a mobo that doesn't support overclocking (h170)

It doesn't sound like you know what you want,
just get an i5 6600 + a gtx 1070 and spend the rest on weed or hookers or both
>>
>>57842857
thx for your answer, the 1070 I agree, I'm not the pro gamer. Also the k processor doesn't match the board, but no intentions to overclock at all. but for cpu, what is then the difference between i5 6600 and i7 6700 ?
>>
>>57842703
>For the graphic cards I have two options: GeForce GTX 1080 or 1070
Not if you actually want to run Linux. Nvidia's Linux drivers are literally nonexistent. You literally won't be able to get a video signal from those cards in Linux unless you go through a massive pain-in-the-ass proprietary driver installation process. Once it's set up, you'll get constant freezes and screen tearing.

AMD's open source drivers have good performance and they JUST WORK without any extra installation, no screen tearing, no crashes.
>>
>>57842703
>2005
>agp
Kek, I already has a PCI-E card by then and SATA, AGP was like a FX series CPU is now
>>
>>57842956
I guess that's kind of a religion question. Though I am not a fan of closed-source proprietary drivers, I had too much trouble with AMD & radeon os and cs in the past, I just gave up on them and unless someone shows me his linux box running well with such a card I guess I wont't change my opinion.

Also I am now running nvidia cards on linux for >4 years, rarely a crash and I do 3d stuff, video editing and watch streamed tv all night
>>
>>57842912
>i5 6600 and i7 6700

The 6600 is slower and has no hyperthreading.
the 6600 does come in a k variant.

Consider dual booting if you want to game, seriously.
>>
>le me
>>
>>57842985
yeah we were poor at that time - still poor, but less. Also everything is ridiculously expensive as hell in this country and the 3/4 of a phd salary goes for rent, insurance......
>>
>le me
>anons responding

This is a new low.
>>
>>57843034
>I guess that's kind of a religion question. Though I am not a fan of closed-source proprietary drivers, I had too much trouble with AMD & radeon os and cs in the past, I just gave up on them and unless someone shows me his linux box running well with such a card I guess I wont't change my opinion.
Read the phoronix articles on this. The RX 480 had working open source drivers in the Linux kernel on day one. The GTX 10xx series doesn't even have support in nouveau. You literally CAN'T run Linux off a thumbstick if you have one of these cards. You have to go through a convoluted process of blacklisting them or unplugging them just to get the proprietary driver installed. It's a nightmare. I speak from experience, as someone who owned a GTX 750 and then replaced it with an RX 460. The driver experience is night and day.

If you want to see evidence, go look it up. There's plenty on youtube, reddit, phoronix, etc. If you want to get fucked in the ass by the company that Linus Torvalds literally gave the middle finger to, then go ahead, buy a new Nvidia card.
>>
>>57843045
thx. I do have dual boot indeed, I only use vmware for ms office occasionally.

i5 6600k is much cheaper than 6700k and the main difference is hyperthreading?
>>
>>57843125
thx, I will read the phoronix articles. I also know about the story with torvalds, he's kinda right.

no worry installing the drivers, linux is already on the disk, will boot and I can install anything I want via ssh
>>
>>57843125
is there a source for the article?

kind of all I have to do is:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-367
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.