[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is there no linux installer that does the following? -provide

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: pondering-guy_fb_164705.jpg (15KB, 300x290px) Image search: [Google]
pondering-guy_fb_164705.jpg
15KB, 300x290px
Why is there no linux installer that does the following?

-provide any of the decent upstream base systems (debian, arch, ubunutu, fedora, opensuse, whatever)

-lets you choose all of the important core system aspects (de, wm, themes, x or wayland, pulse or alsa, themes, etc etc)

-sets up your choices to just work and be properly configured toward each other (tray applets, theme, x/wayland, etc)

Why is every distro either a blank shell where you have to set everything up yourself and be lucky if it works, or a measly attempt at providing just one specific setup with no userbase and no certain future?
>>
>>57834090
bedrock linux
>>
>>57834098
thanks, but i forgot to mention
>out of beta at some point during my lifetime
>>
Because that sounds like a nightmare.
>>
>>57834330
how the fuck does that sound bad, presuming itll work well?
>>
>>57834090
You mean like Anaconda or Slackware's installer?

But you are right about one thing, a universal installer and configuration management is a great idea.
>>
>>57834500
neither of those seems to do much of what i said

arch-anywhere is a nice start, but currently still too limited
>>
Because it's a lot of work for nothing, if you are a beginner, then you want to use a specific setup designed to be easy to use and stable, and if you have experience, then you should be able to set up everything you want from a blank shell.
>>
>>57834642
yeah, the point of a pc is totally for everyone to do everything themselves over and over. its not like pcs are about automation.

if you set things up yourself you just hit one stupid wall after the other, youre lucky if you ever get any part to work
>>
>>57834090
You must be very optimistic OP, most distros that focus on just one thing STILL can't get everything working quite right and have various bugs or at least inconsistencies. How well do you imagine something like that would work realistically? When most desktop-oriented Linux distros don't even fucking have desktop VSync across multiple screens by default, the only answer I can think of is that it would end up shitty as fuck.
>>
>>57834705
If you can't set things up yourself, then you are either stupid or trying to do something that wouldn't work anyways because of hardware problems or software bugs. And if you can't spend some time setting up your system once in a while, you should stick to user-friendly distros.
>>
>>57834779
true that, its sad really, linux could be so damn good but most of the time its bigger shit than windows and unusable
>>
I was thinking the same as you OP, a shell script would suffice but should be modular to work for different setups like for example gtk2 and gtk3. I mean modular so different people can work on just one module they are interested while being part of the bigger project.

I plan on revising the code of stuff like bsdinstall and similar shell script installers to start this on. Anyone interested on doing the same?
>>
File: 1453329875251.gif (1MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1453329875251.gif
1MB, 400x300px
>>57834090
>>57834098
>>57834779
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>57834090
Arch Anywhere?
>>
>>57835879
To anyone trying this, look at Linux From Script, a script to automate LFS. It will help you a lot.
>>
>>57834090
Debian and Fedora does that
>>
>>57837751
They only install a DE, not what OP wants.
>>
>>57836002

>>57834563
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.