[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So uh, has anyone here actually used SteamOS? I hear it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: SteamOS_Logo.png (56KB, 370x172px) Image search: [Google]
SteamOS_Logo.png
56KB, 370x172px
So uh, has anyone here actually used SteamOS? I hear it's just Debian with Steam installed?
>>
>Google: Steam OS

http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/

that was so fucking hard
>>
>>57827592
Wow that's a great way to tell if anyone on /g/ has used it. Thanks!
>>
I didn't even realise it was actually out if I'm being honest. They kinda brushed it under the rug after steam machines fell on their ass.
>>
>>57827871
>The worst things from consoles and the worst things from PC in one single machine!
Really a mystery on why it failed.
>>
>>57827443
>it's just Debian with Steam installed
pretty much

it was developed purely in response to microsoft testing the waters on blocking third part applications/storefronts with the launch of the windows 10 beta
the rapid and total rejection of that ensured valve didn't actually have to follow up on it
>>
File: 1464772695821.jpg (51KB, 853x640px) Image search: [Google]
1464772695821.jpg
51KB, 853x640px
>>57827443
Yes, I did, one year ago.

As you've said, it's Steam with Debian, but a mangled Debian, frankensteined together with a bunch of non-free libraries and drivers for more GPU support but with an older kernel, since it's based on Debian stable.

Since it was marketed for games only, there's absolute no support for daily desktop usage, aside from what Debian stable can offer.

You're better off installing Ubuntu or Linux Mint and install Steam on it, it will work just as the same and you can have a good desktop for daily usage.
>>
>>57827443
I own a Steam Machine and I can say that in the begining the UI was a little bit of a shit if you did not want to use the steam controller (and use mouse & keyboard instead) It's fixed now thou.

I ended up replacing it with a proper Linux distro as the distro they use as their base (an ancient version of sjwdebian) was simply to old for the software I wanted to use for non-gaming related stuff.

For gayming and normie usage it's an excellent os with nice ui and steam itegration.
- tyre
>>
>>57827443
It's not really about steamos as much as it's about all the back end dev valve did for Linux graphics.
>>
Tried it for a week last year when I still had my R9 390; the damn thing wouldn't even display a picture until I fucked with some boot files.
>I hear it's just Debian with Steam installed?
Yup, and for what it's worth you're much better off just using Ubuntu if you want to game on Linux.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.