[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>90s >It's hard to maintain a gazillion of national

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 2

File: 1479580200592.jpg (65KB, 680x680px)
1479580200592.jpg
65KB, 680x680px
>90s
>It's hard to maintain a gazillion of national encodings, let's add more bits to cover them all
>2010s
>LET'S PUT MORE EMOJIS

What went so wrong?
>>
Hmm, I wonder what technological innovation happened in 2006/7.
>>
>>57817721
>>57817741
Really accelerated my apricots
>>
>implying emojis covering all occupations, genders and races is not THE most important issue

sm͏h shitlord
>>
>>57817721
Well English, Spanish, and Mandarin will be the only living languages by 2200, so encoding more cuneiform seems like a waste.
>>
>>57817863
Not really the point. Preserving things should be our number one priority now that space is not an issue.

There are many languages that haven't been digitised, many of whom are dying out.

It's strange that having a black smily face is more important to them than preserving a people's culture for eternity.
>>
>>57817721
The Internet
>>
>>57817913
Maybe this is a sign that blacks are soon to go extinct...

I can only hope...
>>
>>57817863
What do you base this on?
Linguist here

>>57817913
It's really not a shame when languages die out, just let the irrelevant ones go
>>
>>57817913
Also, having a preserved language that noone speaks is almost beyond pointless, other than for translating ancient texts
>>
>>57817913
It's less work to make a emoji than have to learn an obscure language and implement it into software. It's a shame so many cultures are dying, but nobody wants to do the work to save them.
>>
>>57818890
Why isit a shame?
>>
>>57818884
>>57818866
So you don't think its important to know that such a people, and how they existed?

You do know that being a trendy "nothing matters" nihilist doesn't make you as cool as it did in high school, right?
>>
>>57818919
Name a dying culture worth preserving that isn't just changing and naturally evolving over time.

Not a nihilist, dostoyevsky was right
>>
>>57818904
Because culture is the lifeblood of a people. By preserving this culture we acknowledge that such a people existed.
>>
>>57818904
Because they spent centuries building themselves and it fades away just like that. Why should it fade away and be forgotten?
>>
>>57818971

You assert the claim prove it, why are they worth preserving
>>
>>57818949
>Name a dying culture worth preserving that isn't just changing and naturally evolving over time.

I'm not falling in to this trap. Any culture that I name would be deemed unworthy by you.

And why are you reading Dostoyevsky? He died years ago. Might as well burn every copy of his books and scratch his name from the history books. Erase any knowledge that such a man ever existed.

That you found value enough in him to allow him to shape your views shows why preservation is so important.
>>
>>57819006
>missing the point

Not all cultures are equal
Some cultures are worth preserving others are not
You need to state a case for each individual culture

It's not a trap I'm argueing in good faith
>>
>>57818986
Why are you worth preserving? You might as well kill yourself.

And this isn't hyperbole either. Why do you have more value than the language and culture of an entire people? You're just one guy.

So kill yourself, we got plenty of people, we aren't in danger of dying out.
>>
>>57818919
>trying to argue culture with Indian programmers and githubfags

"lol"
>>
>>57819006
>>And why are you reading Dostoyevsky? He died years ago. Might as well burn every copy of his books and scratch his name from the history books. Erase any knowledge that such a man ever existed.

He is still relevant unlike dying languages.
>>
>>57819025
So do you have a reason to preserve them or not?
>>
>>57819023
>>57819050
>muh social darwinism
Come back when you turn 18. Culture gets shared all the time. A lot culture is based off what a different tribe or different group of people were doing and decided they liked it also. Why should the origins of culture be forgotten.
>>
>>57819023
>Not all cultures are equal

And what gives you the right to make this judgement?

>Some cultures are worth preserving others are not
>You need to state a case for each individual culture

Why?

No one could ever possibly argue any culture to be deemed worthy of preservation that would convince everyone.

And, back to my first point, if it not every one we must convince, but one person, what gives him the right?

In pure text the size of a culture's works and myths would be negligible. The Decameron is less than 2MB.
>>
>>57819047
How is a pre-Soviet Russian relevant in post-Soviet Russia?
>>
>>57819112

>And what gives you the right to make this judgement?

Cultural relativism is a bad idea, would you be jsut as happy in North Korea as the US?

>No one could ever possibly argue any culture to be deemed worthy of preservation that would convince everyone.

You don't need to convince everyone thats impossible, just enough people so they actually do it, start with 1 person like myself

>but one person, what gives him the right?

When did I make this arguement?
>>
>>57819130
Pre-soviet russia had a lot of arts done at the time. Lots of russians like Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky were excellent composers.
>>
>>57819130
It's relevant in most of the world since everyone is a hedonist and nihilist and nobody finds meaning in anything anymore except gadgets and objects
>>
>>57819130
google: nihilism and crisis of meaning
>>
>>57819088
So you don't have a reason to preserve them aside from

Why not?
>>
>>57819166
Because they're connected to our own culture. If you don't understand their culture, how can you possibly understand your own.
>>
>>57819185

So you're limiting which cultures should be preserved to those which affected ours in the past?
>>
>>57819139
>Cultural relativism is a bad idea, would you be jsut as happy in North Korea as the US?

No, but I also understand that its important to preserve the knowledge and history of the people of North Korea. That there was a North Korea, and that it existed in the manner that it did. Just like with everything else.

And this argument is my convincing of you. It's a moral argument, not a scientific one.

And lots of people already believe this. It's why governments fund public libraries. It's why the British National Archives website has lessons on how to read and write the Medieval Latin that is on their site, and in the archives themselves.

How would you do that if we lost the Latin script?
>>
>>57819211
No, because culture is not a line. At any point on your journey backwards you will arrive at a branch, at which you could then go forward and arrive at another culture.
>>
>>57819212
It's great now that your stating cases for each individual culture.
You still need a reason why to preserve north korea's culture tho.

also see
>>57818884
>Also, having a preserved language that noone speaks is almost beyond pointless, other than for translating ancient texts
>>
>>57819237
So you're further limiting cultures to those which we can backslide into?
>>
>>57818884
>information is almost beyond pointless
phoneposters need banning
>>
>>57819241
>You still need a reason why to preserve north korea's culture tho.

Because it's the lives of millions of people.

Like I have said, this is a moral argument, not a scientific one. Since you want a scientific standard though, what is your cut off? How many culture points is "writing"? Does an oppressive regime award them points or penalise them?

What is your standard?

I don't consider myself, or any one, worthy of making such a decision because bias is inherent in such a choice.
>>
>>57819283
information =/= language

you can translate the entire roman texts without preserving latin
>>
>>57819294

So the more people for you the more worthy the culutre is of preserving, how many people in a culture before we should preserve it?

Moral argument =/= what I think
>>
>>57819251
Stop being so intellectually dishonest, and inward looking.

You're incapable of thinking outside your own walled garden, that your culture must always be the starting point.

I made no such assumptions. Including the assumption that we're both in the same culture.
>>
>>57819296
Translation is a poor substitute for the original language.

There are many single words that don't translate as a word in another language.

Example: the Welsh word Hiraeth.

>>57819321
Nothing in my post implied that I had a standard to meet, just that North Korea is itself representative of millions of people.
>>
>>57819324
>No, because culture is not a line. At any point on your journey backwards you will arrive at a branch, at which you could then go forward and arrive at another culture.

>>57819185
>Because they're connected to our own culture. If you don't understand their culture, how can you possibly understand your own.

Following what you said:

If we preserve culture to understand ourselves, why by your logic should we go so far back in preservation of culture?

And by your logic
Why should the Chinese preserve the culutre of the Cornish?
>>
>>57819296
Translate them in to which language?

English? Mandarin? Spanish? Arabic? All four?

Every language besides Latin?
>>
>>57819296
(a) language is some information in itself, and if you suddenly disappeared something like latin or aramaic down the memory hole, you'd know a lot less about modern languages
(b) no you can't

two millenniums ago you'd be sat outside the library of alexandria screeching that they were wasting their time preserving "useless information"
>>
>>57819355
So you can't give a reason to preserve North Korea's culture?

Noone is going to learn a language to fully understand a text the amount of time is just not worth it
>>
>>57819378
>Noone is going to learn a language to fully understand a text

This is literally the job of Theologians.
>>
>>57819373
The current arguement in Linguistics is English is going to become the language of academia very quickly if it isnt already... so English

>>57819374
a. What is lost and isit worth preserving?
b. I meant if you translate everything latin is redundant
c. No I would just argue that preserving how to properly farm the nile is more worth our efforts than preserving the culture of the backwards savages in the north pole
>>
>>57819378
>So you can't give a reason to preserve North Korea's culture?
the same moral imperative that means you wouldn't intentionally destroy an ancient roman item you found protruding from the ground
>>
>>57819406
Arbitarily giving something worth is not an arguement
The Roman item could be sold is what I imagine most people think
>>
>>57819405
>a. What is lost
a more complete record of human history, forever

>isit worth preserving?
probably not if you're some hedonist who "lives in the current moment :) :) :) x" and thinks about nothing else
>>
>>57819432

a. So argue to me this is important, becuas eyour syaing this is important without saying why
b. xoxox fuck bitches get money 420 #yolo
>>
File: mummy-portrait.png (855KB, 636x575px) Image search: [Google]
mummy-portrait.png
855KB, 636x575px
>>57819422
>Arbitarily giving something worth is not an arguement
you can't even write a single post in this thread without making a ridiculous spelling mistake, so why should we take your advice and deem the preservation of languages unworthy?

>The Roman item could be sold is what I imagine most people think
to a collector or a museum, yes

and newsflash m8: all value given by humans is arbitrary. your nihilistic devaluing of things is equally arbitrary.
>>
>>57817913
but if we would only have nigger emojis you would be whining and raging for white ones
>>
>>57819405
So, English is what we will translate into.

Then when English is dead, we will have to base our knowledge of over a thousand years off of a faulty rendering. Toga is a Latin word, so what English word would you use to call that dress? Robe? Shirt? Cape? All of these are misleading to what the dress actually was.

This is why the Rosetta Stone was such an important discovery that everyone lost their shit over.
>>
>>57819479

Hahaha yeah my keyboard is fucked and I'm replying to lots of people, what do you expect?

You have to argue something is worth something! An apple has value if you're starving presevation of languages doesn't

You need to argue that it's worth the preservation resources convincingly
>>
>>57819453
contemplation of history gives humans a sense of meaning in their meaningless existences

everything a human does in this universe is unique. humans are unique. you can travel a trillion trillion trillion miles and never find anything like a human, or anything like what a human has created. so we keep a record of things that are significant in human history, like languages, inventions, battles, moon landings...
>>
>>57819497
>When english is dead?
Historically academic languaes survive a long time and it would be easier to translate from 1 dead language than 600

Also toga is also an English word just like corgette is both English and French
>>
>>57819505
you have to argue that your survival is worth preserving
>>
>>57819505
p.s. you try to argue that value arises only from need, but that isn't true
>>
>>57819522
Okay so we should preserve whats already being preserved?

Also why preserve ancient numidia? isit worth the time effort and resoruces nescessary to do so?
>>
>90s
>web pages built up of just HTML and maybe some basic styling if you're lucky
>10s
>DUDE SCRIPT BLOAT AND SOCIAL NETWORK PLUGINS LMAO
>>
>>57819552
Hmm kind of but not really, My arguement is more with the insistence thatthis should be done by everyone on part of humanity.

If you want to preserve language ago ahead, but I think you're a hypocrit if you argue for preservation of languages but aren't dedicating your own time and effort to it
>>
>>57819523
>Also toga is also an English word

Also because we preserved Latin in Latin, and the knowledge of it indeed being called a Toga. If we immediately translated it to 'robe' and then called it a 'robe' at every point for the next 1,500 years we'd all think that the Romans dressed up like Wizards and that the statues must be wrong.

Oh, no, we let the statues be destroyed.

>>57819564
>isit worth the time effort and resoruces nescessary to do so?

Thousands of other cultures believed so. It's the reason we have the Anglo Saxon chronicle.
>>
>>57819586
> we can play the etmology game if you like but its infinite

>Funnily enough they didn't preserve every culture did they?
>>
>>57817721
>tfw you add support for many languages so everyone can easily communicate together in their native tounge and everyone just speaks in hieroglyphics instead.

>tfw gonna switch to UTF32 because meme emojiis
>tfw your 140 char. Text Message now will equal 560B

We just throw efficiency out the window all the time don't we.

>>57817843
>genders & races

So fun story, and something i at least applaud the engineers for doing this right.

Someone sent me a text saying "You my [?]<Boy Emojii>" cause they had iOS and i had a budget android. and apparently they meant to send me a black guy (as to say "you my nigga")

Which i thought was cool because they're at least smart in formatting it as [RACE][ICON]
>>
>>57819581
>but aren't dedicating your own time and effort to it

Jokes on you, I'm waiting for approval for my 'purchase' of several Saxon characters.
>>
>>57819497
>When when English is dead, we will have to base our knowledge of over a thousand years off of a faulty rendering. Toga is a Latin word, so what English word would you use to call that dress?

This may be one of the most retarded things I've ever read on 4chan.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.