[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is FP for nerds or what? I have a job opportunity where I'll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: clojure_logo.jpg (175KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
clojure_logo.jpg
175KB, 900x900px
Is FP for nerds or what?

I have a job opportunity where I'll have to learn and use Clojure. Does anyone actually use this aside from hobby programming?
>>
>>57804651

Most people have a lot of praise for Clojure, so if somebody asked me to work with it, I'd definately go for it. I'm not a LISP guy, though, I just got some basic Scheme knowledge.

The FP is just the icing on the cake.
>>
Pure FP is for fedora tippers. Choose a multi paradigm language to get the best of all.
>>
>>57804651
Clojure's pretty damn good, especially for typical software dev that happens at a typical software company. Most of that stuff is web servers, databases, analytics, etc. Clojure makes developing that stuff a dream, I used it to build a full web app for a client and keeping things mostly purely functional helped keep complexity way under control. The code base was also way smaller than any Rails or ASP.NET site I've ever seen or made. I used Ring, HTTPKit, Compojure, Korma, basically a bunch of libraries smacked together into an ad-libbed "framework" and it all worked great.

But if you want to do real-time or performance-critical applications? Dunno, games have a while to go before they can become purely functional, although people are working on pauseless GC with functional langs and an explicit state monad for games.
>>
If you use FP for too long, you're going to grow a big nasty neckbeard.
>>
>>57804651
I have used it professionally. Clojure is an amazing language, and Software Transactional Memory is the right way to do concurrency.

FP is pretty sweet. Making state explicit is good, I think.
>>
>Is FP for nerds or what?
It is for "nerds" in the sense of "programmers who take their job seriously and/or enjoy programming". Not every programming nerd likes FP but if you like FP chances are you are a programming nerd.
>Does anyone actually use this aside from hobby programming?
Yes, they do (see http://clojure.org/community/companies). It's far more widely used than, say, Haskell. Because it's dynamically typed, it's also far more easy to get into than Haskell. Well worth trying, IMO.
>>
File: photo.jpg (86KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
86KB, 900x900px
>>57804873

brainlet
>>
File: 1454279750993.jpg (15KB, 401x277px) Image search: [Google]
1454279750993.jpg
15KB, 401x277px
>>57804651
Elixir is the future
>>
>>57808064
How is its library situation these days? Is Phoenix really comparable to Rails/Django?
>>
what is the best resources to learn clojure for someone who did not study CS. (I studied engineering, I am not a dumb fuck. We just did not have any exposure to FP)
>>
>tfw paid to code in OCaml the whole day.
>>
>>57808298
http://www.braveclojure.com/clojure-for-the-brave-and-true/
>>
>>57808332
I envy you anon. Tell us more. Do you work at Jane Street?
>>
>>57808496
Designated. OCaml. Street.
>>
File: 1462398331565.jpg (64KB, 548x533px) Image search: [Google]
1462398331565.jpg
64KB, 548x533px
>>57808332
Not in my board
>>
>>57808496
>Do you work at Jane Street?
No.
>>
(bump)
>>
Best resource to learn FP concepts? (hard mode: no SICP)
>>
>tfw trying to convince people at work to try F# for projects
>>
>>57809622
Try to clone a simple arcade game in Elm. Follow Elm's docs as you do it. As on the IRC channel if necessary.
>>
Well-typed programming languages are the future, and that's coming from a dynamic programming language fan. Haskell is king of types at the moment.
>>
>>57812074
>Well-typed programming languages are the future
This. Popular typed Lisp when?
>>
>>57804651
You answered your own question in the post
>Does anyone actually use this..
>I have a job opportunity where...

Clojure was fun for a while, but then I had to do Java Interop
and fight the type system, not very fun at all.
>>
File: 1480088965901.jpg (45KB, 500x362px) Image search: [Google]
1480088965901.jpg
45KB, 500x362px
>>57808332
>tfw code Java all day.

I think I'm about to quit just because of that.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.