[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can anyone explain to me the steps of switching an already existing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 2colour.png (30KB, 600x200px) Image search: [Google]
2colour.png
30KB, 600x200px
can anyone explain to me the steps of switching an already existing distro, like arch for example, to a different kernel structure? i know you have to recompile all the packages from [core] that were for linux so that they work on The Hurd © but what does that entail and what else is most prevalent besides that? i'm curious about helping out as a side project to learn how building a distro, or rather, an operating system from its bare core works.

and yes i'm aware this is in no way usable as it stands; i'm not discussing which distro is "the best" i'm just curious about what steps are needed atm to get this one working, without simply taking out hurd and going back to the linux kernel.
>>
>patch coreutils
>patch build libraries (libc/c++)
>basically patch everything with kernel calls

if you did that correctly, most programs should be recompilable on the new kernel.
that's also how you can run programs written on linux, also on bsd.
>>
>>57804721
what do you mean by patch though, just rewrite it to make calls to hurd instead?
>>
Arch Hurd? More like Arch TURD!
>>
>>57804570
>arch hurd
Now that's something I should try out.
>>
>>57804938
don't you ever compile me or my wife's kernel again.
>>
>>57805012
imagine it was using openRC. it'd be the best.

small kernel
small init system
AUR

how is this not the best distro?
>>
>>57805047
>openrc
archbang
>>
>>57806053
yeah i know im just curious about hurd too since a microkernel seems to be better than a monolithic one for security and stability, but modern hardware doesn't cater to it well or something? i might be mistaken.
>>
>>57804887
The calls are different. There is a table for Linux that has the system calls, their address and their arguments

If the calls on your OS are different, you'll need to let the compiler know what's where since the code standards rely on proper implementation
>>
>>57806076
problem is microkernels have a higher performance hit than monolithic ones because you are doing way more context switches.
this was a problem in the past and all microkernel concepts were aborted or transformed into hybrid ones.

to this date l4 is the most successful microkernel and is used to run on top of linux called l4linux.
microkernels should be the future, since they are practically more crash safe and allow crazy things like runtime driver swapping.
since drivers are hardwired to the kernel it will unfortunately take a decade to make the jump to microkernels.
>>
>>57804938
DELET
>>
>>57804938
arch was already a turd.
>>
>>57804938
Arch Turd? More like Turd Turd!
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.