[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was looking for analog knobs/sliders as another input device

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: palette.jpg (300KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
palette.jpg
300KB, 800x533px
I was looking for analog knobs/sliders as another input device for my PC.
But I'm not sure how to do it.

I've read about people using MIDI controllers for PS and other programs. But most controllers look unpractical and the software/custom driver part seems quite complicated.

There also is a thing called 'Palette', especially made for PS etc.
>Pic related
A bit pricey tho!
(~200$ for Starter kit,
~300$ for the set i posted)
Does anyone have one of these? Is it worth it?

Any experiences/ideas appreciated.
>>
Do you just need extra buttons? How about a little Keyboard, Numpad, whatever with Macro-keys?
>>
>>57788069
No it's not just about extra buttons. They also ship button modules, but all i care about are the sliders and dials.
Not (just) for volume control but other programs.

As I said, photo and video artist e.g. use it to control color palette or the video timeline, but you can configure it for pretty much any program. It's just so much nicer to have a physical dial for fine control.
>>
>>57787995

you're better off buying a MIDI controller at that price point and it's really not that complicated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5nWHf0WVgQ

midi controllers are just things that transmit signals and they just need to be programmed. save yourself some cash. if accuracy truly is a problem, you can always type in the values for Photoshop and whatever else.
>>
>>57788893
Accuracy isn't the problem. I meant that they can have a big advantage, as you could translate every x° rotation into an inc/dec of a value instea of spamming a button over and over again.

Thanks for the opinion and video. I'll search for an "fitting" controller. The one in the video looks almost too small to be practical.

Any other opinions?
>>
>>57789381
Use a smarthphone/tablet as a controller.
>>
>>57789910
That's not what try to do. It's about having an analog input device (a slider for example), because in my eyes it is more convenient than regular buttons.
A smartphone/tablet can be useful to create a set of hotkeys (i think roccat has a thing for that) and you can also display some information on it, but that's not the goal.

Think of it like the controls in a car. Sure touch control is nice, but physical buttons and knobs give you an feeling of what you are doing even without looking. Imagine adjusting the volume of the radio while driving using a touchscreen.
>>
I send midi to my pc using Lemur on an ipad. way more customizable than any "modular midi controller" and incredible scripting capabilities, BUT you wont have feel the phisical knob or slider
>>
>>57790662
The modular thing ins't a must. Palette was pretty much the only alternative for an midi controller I could find.

I think I'll just search for a midi controller that fits my needs. The modular thing would be really nice (expandable, aluminium casing, etc.) but >>57788893 is right. It's way too pricey. I guess I was searching for an excuse to buy it.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.