[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>fall for the APU meme >get an A88X chipset FM2+ motherboard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: what_a_letdown.png (153KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
what_a_letdown.png
153KB, 500x300px
>fall for the APU meme
>get an A88X chipset FM2+ motherboard
>get an A10-7870K with stock wraith cooler
>disable all throttling features in BIOS like cool&quiet and C6
>get a stable 4.2Ghz at 1.3V and no errors after running prime95 for 30 minutes on all 4 cores
>Have ~40°C thermal margin too
>load up vydia (BF4)
>CPU throttles to 3.0GHz despite having ~30°C thermal margin
God fucking damnit /g/, APUs are shit.
>>
Well no shit, they're poverty tier products after all.
>>
>>57770126
have you tried haskell? that might be the solution
>>
>>57770098
I remember when they were shilling the whole crossfire thing with APUs and discrete GPUs. Looks like that whole thing fell through, maybe Zen will have something though.
>>
>>57770098
I dunno maybe the gpu cores cant handle anything over 3ghz from the cpu.
>>
>>57770508
>I remember when they were shilling the whole crossfire thing with APUs and discrete GPUs.
The story with this was that you were limited to bargin bin GPUs, like the 7550 or some other garbage.
And when you actually did buy a garbage card to crossfire, it actually put performance DOWN. The dual performance was actually worse than the 7550 by itself.
That shit was a fucking disaster.
APUs are okay if you are sure you will never need more graphical power. But if you think you'll ever need a GPU upgrade they're a horrible idea.
>>
>>57771764
No you idiot, ut's most likely the VRMs getting hot or some gay TDP lock down kind of deal from AMD. Probably the former.
>>
>>57771851
No you idiot, its the iGpu throttling from heat. Very well known and common issue on the 7870k
>>
>>57770098
Use Stilt's Devastator Powertune to remove APU's power limiting
http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=86959
>>
>>57771934
>OP says he has ~30C thermal margin
>"hurr throttling is from heat"
>>
>>57770098
Sauce on anime
>>
>>57772520
Does that work with kaveri?
>>
AYYMD HOUSEFIRES
>>
>>57772673
Nope, my temps are just fine. In fact a ~40°C thermal margin is pretty good for an AMD CPU stress test. CPU throttling only occurs when the iGPU is under heavy load despite having ~30°C thermal margin.

This is all being done on a stock wraith cooler btw.

Anyway at least I know my CPU can hold 4.2Ghz without a liquid cooler at 1.3V so I got that going for me which is nice.
>>
>>57772664
Don't know. But there is also this for kaveri
http://www.overclock.net/t/1588994/disabling-igpu-usage-induced-cpu-throttling-geapm-steamroller-apus
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.