[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Maybe a silly question, but - is "Server" version of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: logo.png (32KB, 800x305px) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
32KB, 800x305px
Maybe a silly question, but - is "Server" version of OS suitable for everyday work?

Im asking, because my uni provided me with keys for both Windows 10 Edu (basically Enterprise, but provided only for students/Staff) and Server 2016. I saw some threads on /g/, where people were positively surprised by degree of control they had in Server 2016.

But the possibility is that I just missed the simple fact that "server" version of OS is indeed suitable only for that task and surely not for everyday use.

In before - no, I cant use Linux. It have to be Windows. Not just because of games.

Thanks for replies, like always.
>>
>>57769722
Yes
>>
>>57769734

Could you expand it a bit?

Yes, as it "yes it is suitable for everyday usage on desktop"? What about this opinion about greater flexibility? Is that true?
>>
>>57769722
1 Caveat/Bonus; the windows store is completely non operational on Server 2016.
>>
>>57769920

I wouldnt use it anyway, so...
>>
Anybody else?
>>
It might actually be better as it doesn't come with a shitty UI. Though the only versions of server I've used are 2012 R2 and 08.
>>
>>57769722
Should be good for everyday use but you'll probably need to change some configs and install a couple of thing if you wanna go this route.

I don't know about gaming, I always receives a lot of conflicted information about that, some say it's good, some says it's bad.

You might check it out first, specially if you use a dedicated GPU.
>>
Yes, it doesn't come loaded with a lot of the bloat normal windows does but will run pretty much everything normal windows can. Only exception would be some programs like anti-virus and what not might want you to use the server/enterprise version instead of the normal version. You will have the ability to completely disable things you can't in other versions. You can also disable most of the programs that are server related such as server manager. If you are not sure about install a trial version and see how it works for you.
>>
>>57769722
Not sure anyone has ever used windows server on /g. Only high school virgins who think companies run Arch.
>>
>>57769722
If you can get your hands a Industry Embedded version, go for it instead

Currently running it (W8.1) on my laptop and I don't see a difference with a regular release
>>
I tried to install server 2012 on my i5 750 and it told me to fuck off because the processor wasn't compatible, fuck that shit
>>
Yes.
>>
The only problem I've experienced so far is home edition antiviruses refusing to work on server OS because licensing reasons.
Other than that, anything that runs on windows 10 should also run on server 2016.
>>
>>57772284

Funny because "embedded" is certanly not for desktop devices.

>>57772409

Because its not. Lynnfield is considered "too old" and not supported by latest Windows releases.

>>57772129

>Only exception would be some programs like anti-virus and what not might want you to use the server/enterprise version instead of the normal version

Could be a problem. Is there a workaround?

>>57771928

>specially if you use a dedicated GPU

Yeah, thats the case. Still, since you mentioned

>you'll probably need to change some configs and install a couple of thing if you wanna go this route.

do you know any good guides, articles or somewthing like that, which would help? I always end with some rather useless outcome, when I try to search for things like that by web serching engine.
>>
>>57772586

You will be fine, it is just marketing

All of my drivers work, every software as well(Games, development tools, servers, everyday software)
>>
File: image.jpg (208KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
208KB, 1366x768px
>>57772956
forgot image
>>
I've been using Windows Server 2016 as my daily driver since it came out, feel free to ask me questions regarding it.
>>
>>57773012
kys blizzdrone
>>
>>57773012
>having a dock
why do you have so many useless programs in there?
>>
>>57773200
they're not to me
>>
>>57773106

How does it work with non-integrated GPU and with games?

>>57772956

Whats the actual advantage with this version?
>>
>>57773386
>How does it work with non-integrated GPU and with games?
No difference, I haven't had any issues. GTX 1080 and Steam, I game fine.
Have you discovered something negative to ask this?
>>
>>57773452

No, just somebody suggested it might not work properly, but just suggested.

Whats the actual advantage of using Server 2016 over Edu/Enterprise anyway?
>>
DO IT FAGGOT
>>
File: gpedit.jpg (153KB, 677x575px) Image search: [Google]
gpedit.jpg
153KB, 677x575px
>>57773505
>Whats the actual advantage of using Server 2016 over Edu/Enterprise anyway?
Alot less bloat, last time I tried Enterprise there was hardly any reason to use over the regular version besides having access to gpedit, too much metro garbage and crap in the start menu.
Where as WS16 is bare bones, I don't have the store app or any metro app for example because I don't need them.
>>
>>57773580
Not him, but by using server edition you get a bunch of server bloat you will never use though, I dont see the point man
>>
>>57773623
I haven't opened Server Manager since I install WS16, what's this "server bloat" you speak of?
>>
>>57769722
Yes, Windows Server is suitable for everyday work. In fact, now that Microsoft has decided to load all sorts of garbage in its desktop operating system, you're best off using Window Server. No stupid garbage like Cortana, Edge, and stupid advertisements. (If you use Google Chrome on Windows 10, you actually see a bubble in the task bar that tries to get you to use Edge instead.)

While I have not tried it, I believe you ought to be able to play games on Server, too.
>>
>>57773532

Do what?

>>57773623
>>57773580

Bloat stuff can be removed in both cases, what Im interested is - are there settings that I cant set up in Edu/Enterprise but can in Server.

Also, is Server riding on the same privacy boat as Enterprise/Edu? Aside from general approach "Windows is botnet incarnate", I heard once some people on /g/ suggesting that Server is less "botnet".
>>
>>57772129
>>57773580
>>57773623
>>57773677

>muh bloat

fuck off we live in an age with 10tb hard drives, pcie nvme ssds and 16gb+ ram
>>
>>57773722
You misunderstand, we're speaking of software bloat and junk built into Windows, not HDD space. No shit though I've got 8TB of free space doesn't mean I want bloat shit still.
>>
>>57773623
>you get a bunch of server bloat you will never use though
I'd wager you'd get a lot more out of said server bloat than you would with XboxLive connectivity, especially if you're looking to dabble with some database building, management, and webdev.
>>
>>57773677

Anybody else could say something about the last question?

Also, does Server 2016 contain DirectX12? I guess you wouldnt normally expect a server orientated OS to have such, but DX no longer comes as separate packages. Or does it?
>>
File: coldspeccy.png (37KB, 660x525px) Image search: [Google]
coldspeccy.png
37KB, 660x525px
>>57769722
Yes. I use it as my main OS.

You just have to install it with desktop experience, enable the audio and wireless lan features, and disable IE's Enhanced Security Configuration.

Games and media work fine. Plus, there's a bunch of other features you can enable.
>>
I've tested a lot in the past years and 2012 and 2012r2 had a lot of issues with fullscreen, 3d acceleration, emulators and games
industry embedded was god tier but I don't think there's one for 10 yet
>>
All I know for sure is I always have render issues or render driver issues with windows server environments.
99.9% of the time it won't matter but if you ever want to play games, don't do it.
>>
>>57775622
>industry embedded was god tier but I don't think there's one for 10 yet

enterprise ltsb?
>>
For a while between XP and Windows 7, I used Windows Server 2003 and Ubuntu as my primary desktop OSs. Apart from the Server roles page popping up on boot and having to explain why you are shutting down, it was a damn fine OS.
>>
>>57775622
>industry embedded was god tier but I don't think there's one for 10 yet

Renamed to "Windows 10 IoT".
>>
File: untitled.png (180KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
180KB, 1366x768px
>>57772586
Server 2016 is also 'certainly not for desktop devices'. Heck not even LTSB. It really does not matter. I still think they are the most versatile, too bad microsoft discontinued the entire lineup. Windows 10 Iot Enterprise is merely LTSB with a different EULA.
>>57772409
I installed SVR2016 on a 1st gen i3 machine and it cannot even detect the broadcom wifi card in device manger. External dongles also gives an error even though I made sure the wifi services are running. Ended up switching to WES09.
>>57772284
That also have nice features such as keyboard filter. I can block the Caps Lock key and only trigger it when holding shift or control. In contrast the Windows 10 Keyboard filter only can block a list of combinations specified by Microsoft, which CapsLock is not one of them.
>>57773660
Windows 10 Edu also does not have Cortanet.
>>
>>57776006

>EDU does not have Cortana

Really? I thought that Edu is just the same as "normal" Enterprise.
>>
>>57776336
There are a few diffs such as permanently disabled tips(sth along those lines, I read it in an article about Windows 10 Pro education which is basically W10 Pro on acad laptops) and suggestions on app store etc and lack of cortana.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions
>>
>ITT fags who dont run Server 2016 and spurg out about things like anti-virus

>>57769722
It is missing things like a BlueTooth stack and other libraries which programs depend on so your milage will vary. For instance games like Asseto Corsa refused to run, and for BT I had to get a Toshiba dongle which came with its own BT stack.

>>57769920
>I dont know what AppLocker is
you can make it non-functional on Windows 10 too pretty easily

>>57773645
>I haven't opened Server Manager since I install WS16,
Then you clearly aren't using it because thats how you install additional features
>inb4 Install-WindowsFeature

>>57775461
>Also, does Server 2016 contain DirectX12?
I only played vidya on 2012 R2 but it did have Direct X so i'm assuming 2016 does as well
>>
>>57776619

Yeah, but "pro education" is different than "education" I own (but not installed yet), citing Wikipedia you linked:

>Windows 10 Education provides all Windows 10 Enterprise features, designed for use in schools, colleges, and universities. It is available with Microsoft's Academic Volume Licensing
>>
>>57773106
Can you get a trial on ms webpage
>>
>>57776969
I meant this:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/administrators-can-no-longer-shut-off-certain-apps-content-with-windows-10-pro-anniversary-update/
>>
>>57777058
Yes, you can download the evaluation version directly from MS.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.