[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Success stories >Setup a Ubuntu KVM server and annotate the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1316964121166.jpg (128KB, 827x546px) Image search: [Google]
1316964121166.jpg
128KB, 827x546px
Success stories
>Setup a Ubuntu KVM server and annotate the correct method of doing by writing on how to make virtual interfaces to allow the machines to connect to the outside.
>Next week get offered an internship and and a fully payed project where I'm to run a KVM server for 20 people coding a java monitoring program.
>20k € a Month post internship.

And yet I know not a single thing about KVM besides computer hardware and setting up OS's.
And I hate virtualization.
Should I take it or keep studying Electronics which is the love of my life.

Also post your stories.
>>
20k a month is enough to turn my head op
>>
>>57761278
>Should I take it or keep studying Electronics which is the love of my life.
why not both? Too time consuming?
If you're already earning in Euros they might be open for you to keep studying. No harm in asking. Might take you longer on a lighter academic load tho.
>>
>>57761278

Are you saying they want you to run this server that you apparently already set up for free and afterwards you might get paid?

I'd promote the manager of this project. They are getting skilled (if naive) labor for free.
>>
>>57761292
It's just not my favorite area.
I mean fuck I know how to maintain servers and SANs and shit like that.
But i'm an amateur coder (only know fucking assembly) and I have as much knowledge of virtualization as a guy with a book.

Not to say i can't learn but fuck me I know I can learn how to properly do it within 2 weeks.

>>57761322
Too stressing my personal life is a hellzone of stress, and I can only do 1 thing at a time without exploding into nerves.

And I already have half of the electronics engeneering corse done by doing a Networks and systems tecnician course (Credits are transferable post grad).

>>57761333
No I'm setting up the server (Payed service by me) and then I get 2 months of internship (All expenses payed but no money, followed by the 20k a month) project only starts in january.

Code monkeys however will be interns Ill be spearheading the Server department while someone else will be do doing networking for me.
>>
>>57761322
This. If electronics is the love of your life you should keep your connection to it however you want but it would be plain foolish to knock back an opportunity nay a good opportunity.
>>
>>57761390
Guess cash is king ain't it...
>>
>>57761380
What do you mean by properly? KVM doesn't have some meme cert or course or a "proper" way. Is your setup some sort of non standard thing?
>>
>>57761405
Even if you have to pay for the hardware/hosting you will clear well over 3k if you know what you are doing. You would have to be just dumb to turn this down.
>>
>>57761413
I made an idiot proof guide on how to setup it up on a small scale.
And that's pretty much it.

>IE I made a guide on how to make virtual interfaces on the network config

>>57761429
Hosting will be done on site, and I can source the hardware from regional suppliers meaning I don't have to pay the same price as the public meaning I can at least scrape off a solid 5k € just off hardware and services alone.

Problem is I live in a ass backwards town and I'd have to train a monkey on how to deal with problems if I just do the initial setup.
>>
>>57761508
Things get harder at the large scale. Are you doing to use just KVM/libvirt or are you going to use openstack?
>>
>>57761575
KVM and libvirt.
Openstack is leagues away from what I know and can do reliably now.

If I need to setup anything larger then a single machine i'm probably going XEN and/or vsphere (but I can't scrape money off here).
>>
>>57761588
I don't know openstack well or at all either because I don't have enough machines to properly deploy it but you should ideally start with it and grow into it rather than start with raw KVM/libvirt and have to deal with every single user request yourself like restart allocate me more space, update my box etc.
>>
>>57761634
As far as I know you can't create libvirt users with a pseudo isolation between machines. So you can't give your clients access to the daemon directly because then they can access all the machines.
>>
>>57761634
>>57761650
As I said.

Beyond my fucking league until I get a proper lab setup.
>>
>>57761669
>>57761669
Then get a lab. Just get any old machines as long as they support vtd vtx ept and possibly aesni but not required
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.