[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>As an advisor, I've found that one of the highest-leverage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: image_0.jpg (73KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
image_0.jpg
73KB, 420x420px
>As an advisor, I've found that one of the highest-leverage activities that I do with my students is guiding them through the intricacies of command-line bullshittery. There is simply no substitute for sitting down with them one-on-one on their laptop and walking them through all of the arcane commands to type, what they each mean, and how to interpret the bullshit output that's barfed out to the drab terminal. (Senior professors usually have postdocs, research scientists, or older students train the new students. But I just started this job, so it's only me right now!)

>Throughout this entire ordeal where I'm uttering ridiculous epithets like “git pipe fork pipe stdout pipe stderr apt-get revert rollback pipe pipe grep pipe to less make install redirect rm rm ls ls -l ls tar -zxvf rm rm rm ssh mv ssh curl wget pip,” I keep reassuring my students thatthis bullshit is not intellectually interesting in any way ... it's all just a necessary upfront tax required to enable them to do the actual interesting research.I've engaged in so much command-line bullshittery over the years that I can confidently assert how uninteresting it all is. It's simply an obstacle to overcome before one can get real work done.

B-b-but /g/ told me that the command line was an intellectual activity!!!1
>>
>>57757388
CLI is the best part of *nix. At least if you're using bash.
>>
So? If you're too retarded to use a CLI why not make a GUI wrapper for whatever programs you use? Quit your bitching and do something productive.
>>
Command line is not an intellectual activity at all. It's actually SIMPLER to use than graphical user interfaces in many areas. It's just that to anyone who hasn't used it, it seems like wizardry.
>>
>>57760993

If you're too retarded to use a CLI, don't make programs at all.
>>
>>57757388
I wasn't aware that fork was a command line program.
>>
Yeah, you need to learn how to use a computer to work on a computer.

That applies for anything:hardware, software development, graphic design, etc. How can you develop software if you don't understand basic operations of your computer? All the commands listed are installing,moving packages, ssh, wget.. very simple things.

The 'upfront tax' is just learning how shit works. I don't like this person you quoted OP! Why did you decide to shitpost this person's rant.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.