[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me how is AI, a fully logical mathematical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: rndWVdM.png (9KB, 330x408px) Image search: [Google]
rndWVdM.png
9KB, 330x408px
Can someone explain to me how is AI, a fully logical mathematical system, even expected to happen when the logic behind the computer itself is flawed?

For an example, the Two's complement mechanic of the processors and the arbitrary way they're supposed to represent positive and negative values. They are not bound by mathematical logic but are rather abstract representations of bits (start with a "0" for positive and with a "1" for negative, when in reality no bit value can ever start with a zero since it is redundant, and such bit combinations do not exist in the real word).

How do you expect your hardware to work logically when at the literal lowest level you've used arbitrary abstraction that is only interpretable by humans? It's basically like saying "blue bits will now be negative, and red positive!". Or in other way, "it just werks so why bother change it lmao"
>>
>>57750652
You do realize that mathematics itself is an abstraction in purest form? Right?
>>
>>57750652
Implying math doesn't just simply follow logical conclusions from arbitrary axioms. I'm calling that you didn't really study math.
>>
>>57750652
Can you explain to me how mathematics, a human invented abstraction, is supposed to model real life?
>>
>>57750837
>>57750862
>>57750888
Those are different levels of abstraction

Arithmetic addition is proven to exist in the real world - one apple next to another result in two, time adds value to itself every next progression, x+1 objects have a higher gravitational pull than x objects, etc. Our abstraction in this case is representing it with the symbols "1 + 1 = 2", but the base logic still holds true and is proven by our entire existence.

On the other hand, a value surrounded by nothing is exactly that - the value and nothing more. You cannot simply throw a zero in front of a value and claim that the zero suddenly carries information greater than zero. Not only accepting that illogical function breaks basic logic, but it also allows for the existence of isolated negative values, which doesn't exist anywhere in reality - yet another illogical abstraction.
>>
There are so many problems with this logic that I'm not sure where to start, so I'll just pick one.

>it also allows for the existence of isolated negative values, which doesn't exist anywhere in reality - yet another illogical abstraction.

They certainly do, I think you're attributing too much mysticism to negative numbers. It's best to think of them as simply numbers with another direction.

Where unsigned integers just represent magnitudes, signed integers represent magnitudes with direction.

Consider the coordinate system "x,y,z" which describes a 3D space. This maps to three dimensional physical reality in a very direct way. In fact it is impossible to model reality without the use of a "directional" number system, since defining an origin at the intersection of every edge of the space is impossible (unlike for instance, a box, which can be modeled entirely in positive numbers).

In general, the abstract notion of mathematics is a tool to understand, describe and predict the world. Numbers are only as real insofar as they serve these purposes well, and it turns out they do it exceptionally well.
>>
"I don't understand two's complement therefore computers are dumb" - the thread

>Consider the coordinate system "x,y,z" which describes a 3D space.
Why would you use Karthesian coordinates when so many better systems exist?
>>
>>57751883
Show me the sector that contains negative coordinates in our Universe, and provide a reason for why you used negative coordinates to signify your direction over positives. Moreover, point the zero.

I'll save you the trouble by directly answering your question - there is no "direction" in the Universe in the first place. You can use it as an abstraction to divide localized systems in a few dimensions (like your floor) so you know where you're moving relative to something else. If you strip the Universe from matter from which you can derive an abstract idea of your location, it is literally impossible to even determine if you're moving or not. Unless, of course, you throw another system behind you that does measuring of some kind.

What I'm trying to say is that the Universe has only positive coordinates post-BB, and attempting to partition it in any way using negatives, even if useful for you, is a form of an illogical abstraction. It is equal to naming different sectors with names of countries.

>>57751932
>"I don't understand two's complement therefore computers are dumb" - the thread
The contrary - I understand them, but I also understand that our brains don't employ them and yet we're conscious, while our computers aren't even close to it.
>>
>>57751495
>Arithmetic addition is proven to exist in the real world - one apple next to another result in two
You're fucking retarded. Who do you think asserts that one apple next to another is two? Humans do. In the most concrete real world, it's just a bunch of particles with some very specific positions that make up two shapes that just so happen to be next to each other. We conceptualize that there are two of these because they are arbitrarily close to each other.
>>
>>57752223
Alright, leave the apple example

The Time of the Universe increased since I wrote this post. A Black Hole consumed some matter and added value to its total gravitational pull. There you go, two examples of increments by using addition
>>
>>57750652
Java not even once
>>
ITT: Someone doesn't understand how PMOS and NMOS gates function together to perform logic.
>>
>>57752106
It's on the other side of zero
>>
>>57752305
This
It's unbelievably simple and can all be boiled down to off and on
Mathematical digits have nothing to do with bits, youre not calling 0001101 "3" are you?
>>
>>57752305
>>57752469
That's the problem - 0001101 IS "3" (well, 13 but I'm sure you meant that). That's what I'm trying to say - the two's complement is a smart as fuck function for a calculator, but not for an entity that is supposed to be built on logic. I'm sure that nowhere in our brain does lack of information equal to information, as it is obviously physically impossible.

>>57752452
>It's on the other side of zero

Our Universe contains rules for reduction from a higher value, but not below zero - there is nothing lesser than non-existence. You can't go backwards in time, you can't have negative mass, there are no "-1 apples". -1 apples being subtracted from +5 apples, sure, but not from 0 apples.
>>
>>57751495
No.

One apple next to another apple results in a flock of pink whales. This assertion is true and you can't prove me wrong
>>
>>57752634
What about batteries and magnets u fag they go positive and negative
>>
>>57752272
>time has increased
No it didn't retard, time doesn't exist at all. It's just another human abstraction invented to describe the change in matter.
>>
>>57753191
>What about batteries and magnets u fag they go positive and negative
No they don't. Positive and negative values have been assigned by us and they mean nothing, we made things up to make things easier for us, and which side is positive is just a matter of perspective as things are relative. Take a science class, kid.
>>
>>57750652
Wow, you're an idiot.
>>
>>57750652
>Intelligence
>Logical

I don't think you know what these words mean. You're confusing"logical" with arbitrary. The use of binary with 2's complement over trinary or decimal is arbitrary, but (1 OR 0 = 1) and (1 NAND 1 = 0) is always true based on whatever you define your logical operations as.
>>
>>57750652
Two's complement is just an encoding, you interpret the most significant bit as having negative weight. It's just the encoding abstraction you see as the 'app' maker not what the machine sees.

Your computer sees an unsigned flat array of bytes and all programming involves manipulating those bytes into abstractions so we can use them, and yes a machine can be programmed to do this themselves.

There's also sign magnitude and one's compliment, btw these all have formal math definitions done on them you can look up B2T (binary 2 Two's Complement) anytime and a computer uses that mathematical encoding.
>>
>>57752272
Time is a human abstraction of entropic state changes.

Turtles all the way down.
>>
math spergs are contrarian cs dropouts angry that they couldn't get their head around a for loop and instead spend all of their time pretending to be psuedo intelligent by arguing over shit that was decided 200 years ago as if they have any better idea and conveniently never have even the slightest idea on how to replace anything.

muh quantum computer

muh 300k starting meme

muh maths

fuck off
>>
Human brain is made of atoms. We will replicate it's tricks with our own piles of atoms. It's not magic. And it will change the world.
>>
>>57753425
Isn't positive decided by the flow of particles
This thread is pantsonhead retarded
>>
We use two's complement because it's a really convenient representation for the hardware. Pretty much all basic ops on integers get to use the same hardware for signed and unsigned integers thanks to how two's complement works.
>>
>>57753619
FSH
>>
>>57753716
We originally dubbed "positive" the side towards which electrons are moving in a circuit. Yes, it's agreed upon but it's not actual positive because everything in the universe as we know it has an absolute value and cannot be negative. We just assign our original perspective to be positive and other's negative. I think that's what other anons were arguing about.
>>
I don't get why that matters to you. It's just a very convenient way to implement subtraction as addition of negative numbers instead of requiring designated logic for handling subtraction and addition involving negative numbers.
>>
>>57752106
>Show me the sector that contains negative coordinates in our Universe
literally anywhere works for this purpose

>provide a reason for why you used negative coordinates to signify your direction over positives.

if you used positive coordinates then by definition the reflection of this "sector" or point about the origin is defined in negative coordinates, because it has direction opposite of the original (guaranteed by a reflective operation). so it doesn't really matter which you pick, which is the entire point of why you need to have directions to define most 3 dimensional spaces.

>What I'm trying to say is that the Universe has only positive coordinates post-BB

it should be obvious how incredibly wrong this is if you spend like 30 seconds trying to devise a system to model the universe as a 3D space without using vectors (which is equivalent to having negative numbers or any analogous concept, I can explain this further if it's unclear).
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.