[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

installing ubuntu 16.04 as my first linux distro ever tomorrow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 24

File: ubuntu-1604-thumb.jpg (20KB, 470x245px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-1604-thumb.jpg
20KB, 470x245px
installing ubuntu 16.04 as my first linux distro ever tomorrow

what should be the first things i download/install??

thank u in advance. i will write your suggestions down on a piece of paper :3
>>
>>57743638
you should download macOS and install that instead
>>
>>57743638
sudo apt-get install gentoo
>>
Mint is pretty good, mainly I would just advise not getting ubuntu.
>>
>>57743638
The first things I would do is change de's. Unity gets old for me, so I download GNOME. It's a great first distro. You might run into trouble if you have an Nvidia gpu above the 800 series, as the FOSS nouveau driver doesn't pair well with it. Good luck!
>>
>>57743741
>>57743679
>>57743660
>>57743659
fellas please! i understand you have your own preferences but after a lot of research, ive decided on using ubuntu as my first!!! pls dont tell me to install something else :(
>>
don't use ubuntu

use ubuntu gnome, ubuntu mate, or xubuntu
>>
>>57743771
>Me >>57743741
No, I meant the desktop environment. It's Unity by default, and I personally would change this.
>>
>>57743824
how would one remove unity and install gnome?
>>
>>57743741
pls reconsider op.
ubuntu has outdated packages, doesn't protect your freedom (default wm sends data to amazon) and is very bloated.

memes aside fedora is the best linux distro there is.
>>
>>57743799

What's the point of mate? It just seems like a slightly more bloated and less intuitive version of xfce.
>>
File: ubuntu_11.10_login.png (332KB, 800x599px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu_11.10_login.png
332KB, 800x599px
>>57743836
apt-get install gnome

You can then change it at the login screen. Pic related
>>
>>57743882
thank you! i will write this down and look into it

(but does that uninstall unity??)
>>
>>57743899
No. You can change back whenever. apt-get remove unity if you want to remove it.
>>
>>57743899
no, you can uninstall it if you want but it's not recommended
>>
File: Pantallazo-2016-11-28 20-27-25.png (710KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Pantallazo-2016-11-28 20-27-25.png
710KB, 1366x768px
I like the new son to use linux, install ubuntu mate, I liked more his first thing I installed was:
-Gimp
-Alacarte (to know the commands of some programs)
-Chrome to synchronize my pages
-Messenger FB
-Peint and Geany (college stuff)
-VLC

3 days ago I installed ubuntu
>>
>>57743899
Get used to it before you change things like that.
Get to know the OS, there are tons of youtube tutorials and good sites to get how-to for anything.
>>
>>57743638

>first things to install

Restricted extras

>people in here telling you "ubuntu bad" /hetfield

Do it. It's solid. Even year April versions are Long Term Support versions.

>amazon

Just not fucking use the Amazon stuff. You don't have to use it.

sudo apt-get remove unity-webapps-common (or use synaptic or whatever other GUI based package manager).

And it's gone.

Please note that the webapps are only available for Unity. If you use /any other/ desktop setup, you won't/can't use them. Like if you install KDE and use that, you'll never see the Amazon bullshit.
>>
>>57744017
writing all this down, really appreciate your help

btw, does anyone know if it's possible to get the following programs into ubuntu?

>mpc-hc
>aceplayer
>microsoft excel (i know there's librecalc which i havent used yet and i'll give it a try)

>>57744079
>sudo apt-get remove unity-webapps-common
thank you! i really wanted to get rid of that as well
>>
>>57743638
Fuck default Ubuntu, get Lubuntu instead

Btw Xfce is shit
>>
>>57744113
>writing all this down
I know it sounds dumb, but you really should

I have a lenghty text file called guides, with a bunch of commends
>>
File: trashman.jpg (32KB, 680x465px) Image search: [Google]
trashman.jpg
32KB, 680x465px
>>57743983
>Chrome
>>
>>57744139
yeah, i plan to do the same by lurking the friendly linux thread over the next couple of weeks/months to leanr a thing or two

but right now im literally writing down on a piece of paper all the commands you guys are feeding me and the commands im taking off from a few youtube videos im watching so i can get a grasp of the terminal first and foremost instead of relying on programs, software centre, etc
>>
>>57744113
>mpc-hc
>aceplayer
Use VLC instead
>excel
Use Libre, faggot

If you really want those programs, you can use them through a Windows emulator but use VLC and Libre unless you love dick
>>
>>57743679
No thanks, I'll spend 30 seconds and type sudo apt-get install gnome on Ubuntu rather than get backdoored ISOs
>>
>>57744190
aceplayer would really only be for streaming live sports

ok, i can deal with vlc instead of mpc-hc (it was just an ideal program for me)

as for excel, i will give libre office a shot, but i'm a heavy user of excel and just so used to it and need it as my everyday. if even one keyboard shortcut or function or whatever is off, it's gonna grind me gears (i feel it already)

btw how effective is WINE and does it handle microsoft office well?
>>
>>57743638
if you have an nvidia gpu make sure when you're booting it up, press ESC when you have a purple screen with a small keyboard on the bottom, select your language, then press F6, select "nomodeset", hit esc, then hit "try ubuntu without installing" (or "install ubuntu"), install it (i'd select the option to download updates while installing, and i'd select the "install 3rd party software" option), then reboot (don't forget to remove the flash drive), immediately open up the system settings, go to software & updates, additional drivers, and select the proprietary gpu driver.

from then on just install what u want mayne.
>>
>>57744079
>sudo apt-get remove unity-webapps-common
so i just googled this and it's telling me that if i run this command to get rid of amazon, it will break the unity tweak tool.

im probably gonna use unity for at least a little while until i get well familiarised with the os then move onto gnome or whatever

worried this will mess everything up|?
>>
>>57743638
A first caveat would be the Linux hardware compatibility. You should check that prior to this.

You should install unity-tweak-tool (and gnome-tweak-tool if you plan to install GNOME, as >>57743741 advised you).

If you wish to use Microsoft Excel then go for PlayOnLinux, these are community-tested executables (instead of self-support through Wine itself).

About mpc-hc, I don't really see the point of using it instead of mpv, but I don't watch a lot of videos.

urxvt (rxvt-unicode) with a proper theme (https://gist.github.com/yevgenko/1167205) as a terminal is mandatory.

My personal tastes include mpd/ncmpcpp, but that's a little bit tricky to configure. Here are some guides: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=182574 + copy default config files from Arch wiki's ncmpcpp page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ncmpcpp.

And you should keep in mind that you're probably going to use Vim, just go through the vimtutor program (by running "vimtutor" in a terminal).
>>
>>57743638
steam for games, clementine is a pretty cool music player. the visualizer is sick. geany for editing files. try out some other desktop environments if you choose: xfce4 gnome mate. you can do all that from the package manager or use the software center
>>
>>57744625
thank you for all this

i wrote down the gnome-tweak-took for when/if i migrate to gnome instead of unity

thanks for playonlinux; didnt know about that only WINE

>urxvt (rxvt-unicode) with a proper theme (https://gist.github.com/yevgenko/1167205) as a terminal is mandatory.

i'll read this through, but what exactly is this and for what benefit?

>mpd/ncmpcpp
yes, i already have that on my list. theres a video on youtube that goes through it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwS28dX7eOI but i dont know if it will work on ubuntu. thanks for the guid

>vim
what is that?
>>
Get ready for a FUCKING
NIGHT FUCKING MARE trying to install steam.

Theres a fucking bug apparently that prevents steam from installing or even opening up. So you have to look forever for a package that unfucks it.

I would just duelboot OP anyway if you want to play games. Game on windows and Ubuntu for everything else.
>>
File: 1478537266201-pol.jpg (238KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1478537266201-pol.jpg
238KB, 1280x853px
>>57743638
Install ElementaryOS instead. Nigga trust.
>>
>>57744719
who dat semen demon
>>
>>57744719
>Get ready for a FUCKING
>NIGHT FUCKING MARE trying to install steam.
werks fine on my PC Ubuntu 16.04

sudo apt-get install steam
>>
>>57744719
i should have stated earlier that i dont play video games or have an nvidia card
>>
>>57744738
Installing steam is easy. Getting it to fucking work was what is difficult. Unless they finally fucking fix'd after 2 years.
>>
>>57743865

Amazon integration is off by default in 16.04, you can reenable it in settings, but why would you. Seems Canonical realised that people didn't like every search they made, even of their local files, being tracked.
>>
>>57743873
mate runs lighter than xfce
>>
>>57744730
Some youtube tranny.
>>
>>57744783
werks

I've had that problem on Debian but Ubuntu it works fine.
>>
File: 45645445646576.png (316KB, 704x471px) Image search: [Google]
45645445646576.png
316KB, 704x471px
>>57744800
>Braid
>>
>>57744238
I also would like to know about office in wine
>>57744190
Can Libre do macros?
>>
>>57743741
>You might run into trouble if you have an Nvidia gpu above the 800 series
Shoot, what should I do? Not OP, by the way.

>>57744681
Command-line text editor notorious for its complexity and power.
>>
>>57744800

It dota/cs:go cross platform with windows?
>>
>>57744862
im confused how to install that though?
>>
>>57744882

As in, if you play CS:GO or DoTA on Linux, can you play with people running windows?

If that's what you're asking, then yes, steam does cross OS multiplayer.
>>
>>57744927

oh shizzle

yeah it would be pretty shitty if it didn't i guess. does it do this by default or do you have to run some custom server?
>>
>>57744902
Vim? It comes with Ubuntu.
>>
>>57744940
Nope, all the same servers.

Imagine if Valve had to run two sets of servers at once. They would all be fucking broken all the goddamn time.
>>
>>57744968

somebody take me a picture of the most played games in linux steam to prove this to me
>>
Quick question, anyone know the key command to minimize a window in Ubuntu?
>>
>>57744949
the (im guessing) solarised terminal?

or is that not what the .xdefaults thing is?
>>
>>57745002
super + h iirc
>>
>>57745000

Prove what, that Windows and Linux users can play CS:GO or dota together?

I used to run ubuntu on my gaming box, frequently played CS:GO with friends who were on windows.
>>
>>57745006
Vim is a program that you run from the terminal, not the terminal itself. Go into your command prompt and do pic related.
>>
>>57744681
I wrote >>57744625.

I prefer urxvt because Konsole and (Ubuntu's) Terminal seem to have trouble into quickly refreshing a TUI (Terminal User Interface), such as the UNIX manual or ncmpcpp.

Vim is a TUI editor that focuses on ergonomics. You basically need to know that you need to prompt 'i' to write text, echap to go back to the cli, :q! to quit the editor without saving, :wq to save and quit (:wq! to save and quit which will also create the file if it doesn't exist), and :set paste to paste text.

>>57744862
Who are you?
>>
>>57745244
>Who are you?
Another Linux newbie. If the open-source drivers don't work well for the 800 and above, are the proprietary drivers fine?
>>
>>57745368
I consider anon should go with the proprietary drivers.

Sorry, I thought you were implying you were me. My apologies.
>>
>>57745368
Yeah. In ubuntu there's a program called "Additional drivers" which will scan your hardware and prompt you to install the recommended drivers. Nvidia is an enemy of all FOSS, so it'll just have to do. Nouveau is a result of reverse engineering.
>>
>>57745408
>>57745416
Okay, thanks.

Incidentally, OP, if you're still there, try going into the terminal and running vimtutor. I'm doing it now, and it's really helpful.
>>
>>57744796
Nice meme
>>
I've been using Ubuntu for a few months and plan to move to debian soon but first thing to install would be icon themes and gtk themes I use numix for both. Try learning openbox after that if you can.
>>
>>57745911
It's a shocking truth Anon
>>
>>57743638
Are you installing on a desktop or laptop?

If so forget standard Ubuntu. Use any one of Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, or Ubuntu MATE. All of them are superior to the Unity interface.

Personally I recommend Xubuntu for its simplicity and ease of transitioning from Windows/Mac OS X to Linux.

First thing to do is uninstall GNOME software center and install the old Ubuntu Software Center which is superior.

But you should learn to use the terminal and apt-get to get your software instead of gui tools.
>>
Is Solus really as bad as people are making it out to be? I've seen people almost gag at the name of it on here.
>>
>>57743638

Allowing something African into your home... bad idea.
>>
>ITT: People shitting on Unity because of memes

Daily reminder that there's nothing wrong with Unity.
- It has a nice interface
- Memory usage vastly improved since the last versions, using no more than 450MB, lower than KDE
- No more Amazon bullshit pestering your search menu, no data is sent
- Easy as fuck to customize and edit as you see fit
- More stable than KDE and Cinnamon
- Better support for multiple monitors
- No screen tearing
- Better than the other DEs with high resolution
- Good touch screen support
- Nice support from the Ubuntu community and bug fixing from the devs
- Unity 8 is coming with more features and better support for newer technologies

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with Unity, OP. Do not pay attention to the trolls.
>>
>>57746497
>It has a nice interface
That's really debatable. Looks depend on the person viewing it.

>Memory usage vastly improved since the last versions, using no more than 450MB, lower than KDE
Still not less than XFCE.
>>
>>57746497
yeah i've been using unity and it's pretty nice despite what /g/ says. however, the way it handles workspaces is pretty infuriating, so i wouldn't say there's NOTHING wrong with it.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/689733
https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/683170
>>
>>57746582
>Still not less than XFCE.
Yeah but XFCE was made for low end PCs anyway, and I believe it's GTK2 only? But yeah, I know what you mean.

>>57746650
I may have exaggerate just a bit in there, but yeah there's some flaws but it's not the worst thing created by humankind like /g/ wants to meme about.

It's a solid DE and very well a worthwhile choice.
>>
File: 1480389243133.jpg (26KB, 600x522px) Image search: [Google]
1480389243133.jpg
26KB, 600x522px
>>57743638
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>57746739
I'm completely ok with Ubuntu, just not the Unity desktop. I've never liked it. Also I'm pretty sure XFCE has GTK3.
>>
>>57746782
Never mind, wrong about GTK3.
>>
File: your_shit___fuck_it.png (196KB, 485x409px) Image search: [Google]
your_shit___fuck_it.png
196KB, 485x409px
>>57746409
In my experience, it's excellent, but it always feels like someone else's desktop. It's got "that" sort of smoothness to it and every part of it feels like it was slightly tweaked just because they could, whether or not they should. Also, a lot of work is yet to be done. They're missing a lot of packages and don't have hybrid graphics support, which was what was stopping me from making it my main laptop OS.

I mainly use Antergos these days, and it feels very stock. It doesn't feel like I'm using someone else's computer.
>>
>>57746762
>let's put our name on one of the best examples of free and open-source software collaboration because we can read K&R
Fuck off, Stallman. Go back to work on your hurd.
>>
>>57744719
thats for arch, not ubuntu
>>
>>57744800
>I've had that problem on Debian but Ubuntu
I'm running it on Debian Sid right now. Playing some GW3 for Zen.
>>
>>57745000
Not that anon, but I played L4D2 all the time with others running Windows. It's all fine.
>>
File: mMaWbSH.gif (171KB, 480x240px) Image search: [Google]
mMaWbSH.gif
171KB, 480x240px
it seems like everyone has another os but yet you act like you all know eachothers os???

just be clear already if not Windows if not OSX what else?!?!
>>
>>57738909 (OP)
Gthumb: image organizer.
Pidgin: can do skype and other IM (chats).
Chromium: I bet you use Facebook, and this is faster than Chrome.
Megatools: MEGA client for the command line.
JDownloader: Download everything, even youtube vids, easy.
Hotot: Twitter desktop client.
GPRename: Batch renamer. Actually I use qmv (from rename utils), but is command line based not a GUI like GPRename.
ANGRYsearch: Search through your files lightening fast.
dupeGuru: Duplicate files removal.
PeaZip: File archiver.
AcetoneISO: Mount ISO files as they were a hard drive.
PCManFM/SpaceFM: Two great file managers. I also use Ranger, which is terminal based.
LinuxDC++: Download from the direct connect protocol so you won't cry over what.cd.
Nicotine Plus: Soulseek client, also to download your shit.
Kodi/Popcorn Time: Media center, to stream and watch movies/series.
Transmission-daemon: It has a web interface browsing localhost:9091
GnuCash: Keep track of how much money you save by using libre software.
QtTrader: Monitor financial markets.
Sound Juicer: rip CDs.
DeaDBeeF / Clementine / Audacious (with the winamp skin): music players, pick your poison. I use MOC with custom layout and custom theme myself.
Le Biniou / projectM: Music visualizers.
Easytag: Tag editor, you'll thank me.
GIMP/darktable: Image editing, darktable is more easy and very good,
Krita: Draw pictures like a pro.
Inkscape: Alternative to photoshop.
Handbrake: Transcoding for your videos.
LyX: Drop M$ Word, this is so good for academic papers is almost a crime. Is a LaTeX editor.
Scribus: Professional style document processor, create magazines and other publications.
Okular: Fancy ebooks viewer.
Zathura: Minimal ebook viewer.
Calibre: Nothing escapes from this, can open almost any ebook.
Anki: Flashcards software. You can download many already created by the hundreds.
FreeMind: Mind mapping tool.
LibreOffice: To open, edit or create anything from spreadsheets to word documents.

Word limit reached.
>>
File: 1349220528625.png (744KB, 964x768px) Image search: [Google]
1349220528625.png
744KB, 964x768px
Jesus fucking christs anons, there is no need for newbies to learn vim.
>>
File: 1464925018809s.jpg (4KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1464925018809s.jpg
4KB, 125x125px
>>57743638
INSTALL GENTOO
>>
>>57746853
>implying GNU is not a team of developers making the tools we all use
Fuck off
>>
File: 1474527681387.jpg (116KB, 1080x1330px) Image search: [Google]
1474527681387.jpg
116KB, 1080x1330px
>>57744113
Why not use Google Sheets instead? What do you really need Excel for?
>>
>>57743638
Get the preload daemon OP
sudo apt-get install preload

Restart afterwards. First boot will be a little slow OP.
>>
File: yui_ogura_as_alice.jpg (74KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
yui_ogura_as_alice.jpg
74KB, 480x800px
>>57743638

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install mpv
sudo apt-get install ibus-anthy
sudo apt-get install transmission
sudo apt-get install youtube-dl
sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
sudo apt-get install chromium

this is usually what i do after a fresh install of a linux distro
>>
>>57749547
>Chromium
Fuck. Firefox is best.
>>
>>57748019
>not creating plain text spreadsheets in vim
>>
>>57749566

firefox is bloatware
>>
Kernel 4.8.11
Ubuntu 16.04 is still on 4.4.x
>>
>>57743638
install gentoo
>>
>>57744567
Why not just configure your panel and remove the Amazon stuff?
They're just links and a search function you know.
If you want to hate Unity, do it because of the shitty panel button stacking, the horrible start menu and the lack of customization.
>>
>>57744719
Steam works flawlessly on Mint.
You can literally just apt-get install steam right after installing the system and start gayming.
>>
>>57746877
Not him, but I couldn't make steam work last time I installed Ubuntu, a few months ago. It was probably something with the nvidia drivers, the best fix I could find would only work until you restarted the computer.
I just installed Mint instead.
>>
>>57749822
>remove the Amazon stuff
How?
>>
>>57749881
Using unity-tweak-tool or something like that. I don't remember how exactly because its been a while since I last used Ubuntu.
>>
How is the support for rx 460 in ubuntu 16.04 ?

Kernel 4.4 had issues with it (couldn't even play HD movies) on opensuse leap 42.2
>>
If I'm looking to switch to linux for privacy reasons, would it be a bad idea to use Ubuntu (or its variations)?

I know there's a switch for the spyware stuff, but my minds been trained to not believe that hitting a button to tell them not to spy on me isn't enough of a guarantee, after using windows.

But at the same time I want the most seamless experience possible so I don't flip flop between windows and linux for very long.

I tried mint but I had issues getting my VPN to work. Thinking of dual booting ubuntu and seeing if I can get it to work on there.
>>
>>57750218
If privacy is the main concern, you should install Debian.
>>
You should kill yourself and then install Solus
>>
>>57746497
This, Unity has been fine for a long time now.

>>57746650
Why do people even bother with workspaces any more? Unless it's one of those desktop thread faggots.
>>
>>57750192
You'll have to upgrade the kernel, llvm and mesa but once you do it should work well.

Apparently there's an effort underway to make this easier, but Ubuntu's driver maintainers are known to be mostly Nvidia fanboys so I'm not sure I'd hold my breath. Its crazy that you can get any version of one companies proprietary drivers you want from an official Canonical funded Ubuntu PPA, but there is no way to keep the open source drivers for AMD and Intel up to date other than using some unofficial packages built from Git.
>>
>>57743638
Install just the base system with the server iso, you can pick your DE of choice from there or install it later, unity is bloated cancer.
>>
>>57744113
You can use WINE (+ PlayOnLinux) to install excel
>>
>>57750527
>if privacy is the main concern
>Debian
That's a weird way to spell Devuan
>>
>>57751559
Dead project.
>>
File: 14girl.jpg (133KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
14girl.jpg
133KB, 800x600px
Have fun

Seriously
>>
>>57751575
Nice meme.
>>
>>57743638
Ignore these people. After you install it just install your prefered browser and install video drivers. What kind of applications did you use on Windows that you want an alternative for on linux?
>>
File: Distro Comparison.png (2MB, 800x3400px) Image search: [Google]
Distro Comparison.png
2MB, 800x3400px
>>57743638
You should install Solus.
>>
>>57751740
Your image is just a bunch of memes. I hope noone is using that seriously
>>
File: Distro Goodness.png (71KB, 10000x600px) Image search: [Google]
Distro Goodness.png
71KB, 10000x600px
>>57751982
It's not a bunch of memes.
>>
>>57751740

Antergos isn't a clone of Arch, it IS Arch.
>>
File: Boot Times.png (56KB, 973x630px) Image search: [Google]
Boot Times.png
56KB, 973x630px
>>57752023
Because it's a clone.
>>
>I'll install Linux tomorrow
>tomorrow
What, you gotta wait for the stars to align or something for this shit? I swear, loonixfags are retarded.
>>
>>57752055
Probably because it's night time wherever OP lives and doesn't have time.
>>
fgnchnmbm
>>
Hi op here again

>>57751707
I wrote them up here and I got a few answers >>57744113

>>57752055
No, my laptop is coming in later today and I'm gonna install ububtu when I come home from work. Why make such assuming, idiotic posts like that? Are you fulfilled???
>>
>>57749881
#!/bin/bash

# Mirror source code from fixubuntu.com

# Figure out the version of Ubuntu that you're running
V=`/usr/bin/lsb_release -rs`

# The privacy problems started with 12.10, so earlier versions should do nothing
if [ $V \< 12.10 ]; then
echo "Good news! Your version of Ubuntu doesn't invade your privacy."
else
# Turn off "Remote Search", so search terms in Dash don't get sent to the internet
gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Lenses remote-content-search none

# If you're using earlier than 13.10, uninstall unity-lens-shopping
if [ $V \< 13.10 ]; then
sudo apt-get remove -y unity-lens-shopping

# If you're using a later version, disable remote scopes
else
gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Lenses disabled-scopes \
"['more_suggestions-amazon.scope', 'more_suggestions-u1ms.scope',
'more_suggestions-populartracks.scope', 'music-musicstore.scope',
'more_suggestions-ebay.scope', 'more_suggestions-ubuntushop.scope',
'more_suggestions-skimlinks.scope']"
fi;

# Block connections to Ubuntu's ad server, just in case
if ! grep -q productsearch.ubuntu.com /etc/hosts; then
echo -e "\n127.0.0.1 productsearch.ubuntu.com" | sudo tee -a /etc/hosts >/dev/null
fi

echo "All done. Enjoy your privacy."
fi

Save as removebloat.sh
chmod +x removebloat.sh
Execute by typing ./removebloat.sh in terminal
>>
>>57751740
what's wrong with opensuse?
>>
>>57752362
Nothing. He's a memester
>>
>>57752176
Thank you! I'm on mobile right now and it looks a bit cut off - hopefully it looks ok when I get home

But I'm assuming I copy this into geditor or whatever it called? And then running those two commands into the terminal?
>>
linux is a meme, do not install it. just stick to windows
>>
>>57743638
Ubuntu is fine, but get rid of the Amazon botnet.
Also install cinnamon the best DE for beginners.
>>
>>57752427
Gedit, yes, and those two commands in the terminal.
>>
File: 1480374433470.jpg (191KB, 640x633px) Image search: [Google]
1480374433470.jpg
191KB, 640x633px
>>57751740
You Solus shills work really hard, have to admit that.
>>
>>57751559
>still insisting on a beta project that won't go anywhere because muh systemd
Debian is great, Debian Sid is great too.
>>
>>57753065
fuck of memelord
>>
Why even have a de other than having desktop icons?
>>
>>57751740
> No Red Hat/CentOS
>>
>>57753341
That's because they're not even worth mentioning.
>>
>>57743638

I fucked up my last installation so im going to reinstall everything this weekend.

- Install gnome (had wrong ISO initially)
- Numix Icons
- ark dark theme
- launcher bar on buttom
- customize terminal
- uninstall some useless shit
- install coding tools

I might try out i3 while im at it ...
Of all the above, uninstalling unity is probably the most important, it's ugly as shit (imo)
>>
>>57754916
>uninstall some useless shit

Besides amazon, what else senpai?
>>
File: scrn.png (1MB, 1919x1079px) Image search: [Google]
scrn.png
1MB, 1919x1079px
>>57749597
16.10 on 4.8.0-27

>is this the new deskt-
>>
>>57752176
Not OP, but thanks, anon, I did not know about that.
>>
>>57744719
>duelboot
>>
Android is a linux.
>>
On my way home
Last bump

Thanks for everything lads
>>
install resynthesizer and g'mic plugins for gimp.
imagemagick.
ffmpeg.
youtube-dl
>>
>>57746762
This is a hilarious photo. He is SO triggered.
>>
>>57756649

Can't remember exactly, but last time I installed ubunutu I removed some games and search programs, iiirc there was another browser installed also.
But I was stoned as shit so I don't really remember. Just woke up with a non functioning linux installation, I guess classic case of don't do drugs and root.
>>
>>57744719

OMG, SAUCE!
>>
>>57743638
Wi-fi drivers. Or update to 16.10. Because 16.04 does not have them.
>>
>>57758943

> wifi drivers

lmao
>>
>>57743638
Install the Ubuntu minimal for the least bloat. As for what you should download well that really depends on what you want to do.
>>
>>57759184
where do i download it?
>>
>>57744719
Tbh senpai never had that issue and I've used many random loonux distros
>>
>>57752045
All of the distros in your chart use KDE. It's like comparing a motorcycle with a bus.
>>
>>57759212
he probably means the network installer, which allows you to choose your packages if you want

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/xenial-updates/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/mini.iso
>>
>>57756691
>16.10
OP said 16.04
>>
>>57743638
Don't listen to all us snobs, enjoy your ubuntu. It's a nice distro. But keep unity, no reason to install gnome unless you hate unity. If you want gnome then install Ubuntu gnome instead, it might just mess up your install.

One tip: Don't care about the "long term" version, just get the newest version. You are not running a production server on it so there is no need to get anything other than the newest.

https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

>>57744567
You should be worried what all these nerds tell you to do. Lots of it might mess up your system if you don't know what you are doing (like changing DE, which you probably won't even enjoy because you will always wonder what unity is like. And people usually like something else for some reason or other)

get unity tweak tool for easy configs.

>>57744902
If you want to learn vim then expect to spend a lot of time on it. I just use sublimetext, but if you don't program then you don't need an advanced text editor like either of those, really.

And you can do fine without learning vim, which is likely the most difficult piece of software you will ever learn. (but you might be able to code effectively if you know it)
>>
File: 1454822566891.png (39KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
1454822566891.png
39KB, 384x313px
I'm having trouble choosing between Mint Cinnamon, Mint MATE, or Ubuntu MATE. I can't accurately compare performance using a VM. Anyone know which one is the best for actually doing shit?
>>
>>57743638
What are the best applications to improve the look of ubuntu? Is there any way to get some nice looking music player running as a widget on my desktop?
>>
>>57760361
Solus. https://solus-project.com/
>>
>>57743638
>what should be the first things i download/install??
An torrent of an ISO for Windows 10 Professional
The only thing desktop linux is good for tbqh famm
>>
File: 1478582946906.jpg (325KB, 1008x720px) Image search: [Google]
1478582946906.jpg
325KB, 1008x720px
>>57760489
>>57760489

came across this fairly recent video. looks ugly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3a-X1r9WR4
>>
>>57760361
Yes there is, but I am too lazy to remember.

Just go to Synaptic, the general software center in all Debian based distros, and look for all you want.
Thread posts: 158
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.