[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /g/ opinion on password manager such as LastPass?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: HASSB_035_iceland.jpg (683KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
HASSB_035_iceland.jpg
683KB, 1500x1500px
What is /g/ opinion on password manager such as LastPass? Are they worth it?
>>
Meme. Just store your passwords in an encrypted text file.
>>
>>57740471
Multiplatform and auto-complete though
>>
fall for it again?
>>
Can be good but for the love of god use one that stores your passwords locally, not online.
>>
>>57740565
Looks like LastPass only stores encrypted passwords on their server. They get decrypted locally.
>>
>>57740471

fpbp

Anything else is allowing a 3rd party platform access to your password. You would have to be retarded to do this.
>>
>>57740524
>Multiplatform
Pretty sure nearly all platforms will be able to decrypt a text file

>auto-complete
botnet
>>
>>57740471
fortunately there's a password manager that does exactly that, it's called KeePass
>>
Giving passwords to the botnet how smart of you
>>
>>57740445

Meme. Use your brain. Rate my system:

Take the thing your password is for, e.g. 'facebook.' Take the first four letters and reverse them: 'ecaf.' Create a sentence for which this would be an acronym, such as 'electric carpet alludes fires.' Bonus points for rare words. Take an 8 digit number which you can remember, e.g. last 8 digits of your bank card or phone number, or two birth years. Then type this while holding shift so that it comes out as punctuation. e.g. '12340987' becomes '!@#$)(*&'. Now add these together, for your finished password: 'electric carpet alludes fires !@#$)(*&'.

> impossible to crack
> impossible to guess
> difficult to forget (acronym is ECAF, 8 digits were picked because I remember them)
> different for everything
> no need to store them anywhere (even if you do, just write the acronym and the numbers on some hidden paper. nobody will know what it is.)

???

I can't think of anything wrong with this.
>>
>>57742068
Typing 30+ characters on a phone is long, only downside. Otherwise seems like the perfect plan if you use standard us keyboard. Good luck when you travel though, or use the keyboard of your retarded french canadian friend
>>
>>57740471
>change password in text file
>have to alter text file across multiple devices

I guess if you're a NEET this would be OK.
>>
>>57742068
you can forget the sentence that the letters stand for. you have to remember a digit encoding and algorithm for converting something into a password. your four-word passphrase is going to have less security than you think because humans don't choose random words, they choose words according to patterns that mirror english. Birth years are especially bad, cracking operations already know that whenever people use numbers in passwords, they're going to be a lot more common than any other numbers.

You might as well remember one strong random password and use a manager like keypass that has no cloud features, just an encrypted file. That file can live with the backups you have to make anyway. And if you don't trust a machine to have that file on it, or to run the password manager, then you shouldn't be logging into anything on it in the first place. It's simpler and requires no mental gymnastics like the "systems" you people delight in devising.
>>
>>57740593
>Implying your OS isn't a 3rd party
An encrypted text file is still good but I prefer Keepass so that everything is organised and can be synced across devices
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.