[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kinda device will let me read a lot of textbook/scientific

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: v-XQOuNKOBc.jpg (38KB, 302x455px) Image search: [Google]
v-XQOuNKOBc.jpg
38KB, 302x455px
What kinda device will let me read a lot of textbook/scientific PDFs comfortably? Scrolling/rendering speed matters a lot. The bigger the screen is the better, the resolution can stay at ~200 dpi.
Also quick annotations and on-the-fly underlining.

By the virtue of content of my textbooks I need to jump between chapters/pages quite a lot to do a quick reference and the likes.

Am I looking at Surface? I'm not sure if there are decent PDF readers for iOS or Android. How about iPads? I don't care if the device is like 2-3 years old by now (not used ofc), but I would hate lags, stuttering, slow rendering etc.

I could use a laptop if not for the fact that the screens are horizontal. Transformers are monstrosities, and the detachable hybrids seem like overpriced.

So, what's /g/'s opinion on this?
>>
>>57739888
If u read.at.computer u should buy a.monitor that can be switched to vertical view, it would.be very.convenient, otherwise probably a tablet or.an e-reader

Do not buy surface it.is garbage, ipads could work if.ur fine with overpriced shit, i think ipads work.well but i
>>
>>57739932
>rotating monitor
Nah, I'm talking about portable.
>>
>>57739888
>What kinda device will let me read a lot of textbook/scientific PDFs comfortably? Scrolling/rendering speed matters a lot. The bigger the screen is the better, the resolution can stay at ~200 dpi.
>Also quick annotations and on-the-fly underlining.
>
>By the virtue of content of my textbooks I need to jump between chapters/pages quite a lot to do a quick reference and the likes.
>
>Am I looking at Surface? I'm not sure if there are decent PDF readers for iOS or Android. How about iPads? I don't care if the device is like 2-3 years old by now (not used ofc), but I would hate lags, stuttering, slow rendering etc.
>
>I could use a laptop if not for the fact that the screens are horizontal. Transformers are monstrosities, and the detachable hybrids seem like overpriced.
>
>So, what's /g/'s opinion on this?

Eink machines are the best in terms of eye strain relief. Just kinda suck for the other stuff like annotating and notes
>>
>>57739888
If you only want to use it to read textbook or scientific articles, then buy an e-reader, just avoid any Kindle or other Amazon bullshit and buy a Kobo or a Nook instead.
Also check the type of files (PDFs, ePubs, etc) it accepts and if it has a backlight would be a plus.
>>
>>57739888
get a relatively recent (like you said last 2 - 3 years should be good) and large screened android tablet.
I use EbookDroid. Its best feature is cropping off unused space (usually the borders of the page). It also has night mode which inverts the colors (black on white turns to white on black which is easier to read).
I have an old tablet but I had no problems so far with performance regarding pdfs.

eink-Readers are less strainful on the eyes. But they are slow. It makes sense for literature like fiction.

BUT
You will never achieve the comfortable page switching and jumping around to references like in physical copies
At least I haven't found the right software for it.
You can set bookmarks. But it takes more time to switch in an electronic version.

For annotations and underlining I'd use something like surface. There is an eink-Reader from sony which gives annotation capability but it's rather expensive.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.