[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm stupid and I broke the pressure pins where the cooler

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: 20161128_181042.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161128_181042.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I'm stupid and I broke the pressure pins where the cooler is held when I went to clean my PC and change the thermal paste.

Apparently, nowhere in my city seems to sell this blue piece thingy I need to substitute.

What to do?
>>
measure, design and send to 3d printer service?
>>
The best thing to do would be kill yourself for being such a fucking retard.
>>
>>57739073
Board looks old as fuck.

Consider upgrading components
>>
>>57739073
For starters, (You) have too much thermal paste.
You should be able to buy a replacement bracket for a few neetbucks on feebay.
>>
Holy baby jesus thermal paste wtf
>>
Your image made me so uncomfortable, why is there so much paste?
>>
>>57739228
This.

OP, you're stupid in more ways than one. You obviously put too much of the thermal paste on the CPU. The thermal paste just covers up the cracks inside the metal casing so heat dissipation is more even.

Thermal paste isn't some magic cooling heat super-conducer that can transfer heat faster from the CPU to the cooler plate than the CPU surface and cooler plate actually touching.

Remember, the cooler is taking heat away from the CPU.
>>
>>57739291
Man you're reminding me of the first time I applied Thermal Paste. I drew a Star.

My brother just facepalmed and told me to get some fucking Q-Tips. Good times:
>>
>>57739291
Oh , I just thought it was supposed to cover the entire thing

Well thanks
>>
>>57739363
It is supposed to cover the whole thing, but with an as thin as possible layer.
>>
>>57739363
>>57739431
Just put a small blob in the centre of the chip, then put the cooler on.
>>
>>57739510
>blob

Let's be specific. About the size of a pea
>>
>>57739510
>>57739651
Like you are "Technically" suppose to do for brushing your teeth, just a dab of the stuff.
>>
The blue piece thingy is called AMD retention bracket. Just get one from ebay
>>
>>57739073

You don't really need the cooler. The thermal paste will dissipate the heat just fine.

They just put heat sinks on from the factory for that cool "whooshing" sound that the fan makes.

Trust me dude.
>>
>>57740174
Don't listen to him. That doesn't work with all pastes. You can damage your CPU. It will work with liquid metal paste, though.
>>
>>57739737
Alternativelly, there are coolers that don't need to bracket and attach into the holes on the motherboard. You could get one of those, upside would be more silence.

For example SilentiumPC Fera 2/3 (not sure if you can buy that in USA). Using that and it's pretty nice and cheap.
>>
>>57739073
Woah. Are those wood screws?
>>
>>57739737
this
you might even be able to pull one from an old board
>>
>>57739735
I always thought you were supposed to cover the teeth
>>
>>57742266
Yeah, but then only take the top part, not the bottom, which might be specific to your motherboard's layout.

>>57742258
No, there is a support piece on the other side that they screw into. It is fairly robust usually, more robust than usual Intel mobo I'd say.
>>
File: 35-119-165-02.jpg (16KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
35-119-165-02.jpg
16KB, 640x480px
>>57742258
>>
>>57739073
Ignore everyone else on this board. Buy a cooler Master hyper 212 evo. You completely remove that blue piece and replace it, plus you get a way better cooler. It's like $50. Problem solved plus upgrade.
>>
zip ties
>>
>>57742869
I saw a Pentium 4 with that treatment.
>>
>>57742926
linus fag tips did it with a $20k xeon once fir the views.
>>
I had to call a local mom and pop computer shop, and they pulled one of a old motherboard in their junk pile...good luck.
>>
>>57742976
Yeah, or if you have some wider contacts, try to ask people around.
>>
they used to sell those on newegg.
>>
>>57739431
This shit is so stupid. Why do you people think the thermal paste has any effect on the space between the heatsink base and the heat spreader? Is your thermal compound a piece of metal?

OP just get another bracket from another AMD board or get another cooler so you don't have to use that thing.
>>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4SR2C15047&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Accessories+-+CPU-_-9SIA4SR2C15047&gclid=CjwKEAiAyO_BBRDOgM-K8MGWpmYSJACePQ9CGcKX-yli8fuAT6LVO3nn3qGZfGvzmZXdd3liG9LTAhoCGhvw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
>>
>>57742951
>$20k xeon
Doesn't exist
>>
every third party after market CPU cooler needs you to remove that anyway so just get a 212 evo
>>
>>57743839
Not all of them.
>>
>>57743913
what ones actually play nice with that ugly hunk of plastic shit?
>>
>>57743929
Cheaper ones generally I think.
I considered this one last year, before opting for another with the hole mounting.
https://www.silentiumpc.com/en/spartan-pro-he924/

Too bad, because this one would be usable with AM4 boards in future.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.