[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>want new program for windows >find program >click to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: sandler[2].jpg (148KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
sandler[2].jpg
148KB, 1024x768px
>want new program for windows
>find program
>click to install it
>click to open in

>want new program for linux
>pray to god there is some shit level copy of the windows program I actually want
>have to type out commands like I'm in the fucking 80's to install
>where's the program
>no icon or convient bin of applications installed
>wtf
>have to type MORE COMMANDS to fucking open it
>doesn't even work because it's a peice of shit made by a fat autist

seriously fuck linux
>>
>>57721262
Don't fret, newfriend. You're learning linux - Of course it's going to be different than Windows :3

You can usually run programs with this:
cd ~/directory_of_program
chmod 755 executable_program_that_ends_in_x86_64
./executable_program_that_ends_in_x86_64

Or if you use the software manager GUI program, you should have an icon in the start menu.

Happy Hacking :)
>>
The problem, OP, is that you only installed a kernel.
>>
>>57721346
What do you call the entire OS though?
GNU/Linux System?
>>
>>57721342
This is obvious winshit shill.

>>57721262
In case you aren't a shill
I want to install git :
Winshit :
>go to browser
>search git on google
>click on the site
>look for correct download
>download
>install

Debian:
>sudo apt-get install git

If you're a noob, almost all nooblinux versions have a graphical easy to use store.
>>
>>57721391
dpkg -l | grep ^ii | sed 's_ _\t_g' | cut -f 2 | tr '\n' '/'

or as I've recently taken to calling it,
dpkg -l | grep ^ii | sed 's_ _\t_g' | cut -f 2 | tr '\n' '+'
>>
>>57721262
Most stuff I need is in the package manager. Steam, text editors, git, browsers, what program did you have trouble with?
>>
>>57721444
not sure why but this produces several hundred forward slash or plus characters. Not the result I expected
>>
>>57721444
what have you done
>>
Switching to a new platform will mean that you may have to learn the names of new applications.
If you think in the direction of "how do I solve problem X" rather than "what is the linux alternative to X" you will find better results.
>where is the program
This is actually not something the "regular user" is meant to care about.
Your system has a list of directories where it will search for the application.
If you manually add a program (as in compile it from source), you need to make it executable, add the location to the PATH and you can run it by using the name of the binary.
>no icon or convient bin of applications installed
You should try to install a DE. Most distros come with them, and there is a lot of options as people like things done in their own way.
KDE comes with tools to create desktop files, but you can easily write your own (the clickable icon with comment when you hover and category if you use menus)
>doesn't even work
That is more of a per application issue than it is something wrong with the OS or the community.

>have to type MORE COMMANDS to fucking open it
As I view it, you have a couple of options when it comes to running software.
1. the menu
2. icons in the panel or on the desktop if you are really desperate.
3. launcher (requires you to type the first two-three letters of the application
4. hotkey
5. rightclick menu inside application (most likely file managers, but a lot of applications allow for plugins)
6. write the name in the terminal (again 2-3 and then use tab to auto complete)

How did you launch things on windows?
Last I used windows, it was behind on this front in all 6 categories, would like to know if they improved one or made a new one that is more convenient.
>>
>>57721262
>pray to god there is some shit level copy of the windows program I actually want
I'm just glad that when I actually do install some software it doesn't end up being malware and shit.
>>
>>57721415
On windows I usually download the github for windows.
That installer automatically generates ssh keys, installs git and powershell.
It have worked wonders every time I had to work with windows users, should I adjust my method?
>>
For Winfags going onto sketchy ass sites to download our software doesn't seem like a big deal because it's all we know. OP, it's not as hard as it seems when you get used to it. Once you know the command it's amazing being able to just type in the program you want and let the computer do it for you.
>>
>>57721262
How hard is it really to use a package manager you dirty microshill?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.