[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why run Linux? It seems windows over the years has slowly implemented

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: Propane9000.jpg (616KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Propane9000.jpg
616KB, 800x800px
Why run Linux? It seems windows over the years has slowly implemented features that were in *nix but not in windows.

>Multi-user os.
windows has that now.
>Multi-workspaces
check
>Significant improvements in security and elevated privileges needed for certain tasks now
check
>The best driver support
windows!
> built in package manager
check
>superior interface for tablet mode on laptops
Windows
>>
Alright then.
>>
botnet
>>
>>57720935
You forgot an important feature: user's full control over the system
>>
>>57721645
/thread
>>
File: ubuntu-logo112.png (15KB, 300x239px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-logo112.png
15KB, 300x239px
>>57721794
ahem
>>
Window managers
>>
>>57722040
"""botnet"""
>>
I work with tools that can't natively run on windows
>>
>>57720935
Linux is more customizable. It's easier to change. It can be whatever kind of OS I choose. Windows looks how Microsoft wants it to look and you can like it or leave. All you can do is change the colors. I can choose between a half-dozen DEs, a bare command line, or build my own. I can choose whether I want to be bleeding-edge or whether I want a stable never-changes 10-year-support distro. Or I can have it both ways and do something in between. I'm pretty much never forced to accept a change that I don't want to.

>The best driver support
>windows!
Windows has drivers for more things, but Linux makes using the things that it does support much easier. (and the fraction of things that work with Linux is a lot larger than it used to be - this isn't 1995 where you had to have one of three particular SCSI cards and then compile the proper drivers into your kernel)

I don't have to go to the manufacturer's website and hunt for a model number and then download an executable from who the fuck knows where. I just plug the device in and it Just Werks. Old hardware runs fine, none of this crap where the hardware vendor didn't bother to release drivers compatible with a current version of Windows.

Oh yeah, and this >>57721645. You can turn down Microsoft's """"""telemetry"""""", but you can't turn it off. They can reset it after updates that they forcibly install on your machine. Even when Ubuntu tried to botnetify itself (>>57722040), you could just tell aptitude to remove that package, if you didn't want to change distros. You can't tell Windows to do likewise. Your machine isn't really yours, it's Microsoft's.
>>
>>57722040
fucking disgusting
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.