[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Linksys WRT1900ACS is coming up on a prime lightning deal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: linksys-li-WRT1900ACS-1.jpg (54KB, 982x393px) Image search: [Google]
linksys-li-WRT1900ACS-1.jpg
54KB, 982x393px
The Linksys WRT1900ACS is coming up on a prime lightning deal

This is a good router right? I need something decent to replace my current router which has DD-WRT on but sadly no gigabit LAN
>>
>>57716081
You need just weird, I can't recommend a ubiquiti edge router x more, mine is able to maintain 6+ months uptimes without a problem, though small second long power cuts have caused it to reset.

Got wireless, I have an acpro access point. probably didn't need the pro, but wanted it, this needed to be reset twice.

I like having 1 reliable thing that handles 1 task. got the router, got the wireless, cant ask for more really, shit preforms better then I ever thought it would.
>>
>>57716349

I'm not really using it for like advanced stuff if you get me. I just want a router I know works as I'm sick of having to choose between 100mb ethernet with reliable port forwarding etc. Or gigabit lan with iffy port forwarding

I need wifi for the other people in the house and mobile devices. I'm also not really rolling in money so I was hoping that router would go to about £100 in this sale. That Ubiquiti router is about £50~ in the UK so It's probably going to cost about the same and take up more power slots which I'm already needing to swap around time to time

Thanks for your advice though m8
>>
>>57716494
well... get the router for yourself, and have them pay for the wifi portion.

as for power, my wireless wont work on the through the router poe, not sure why, ubiquity had no idea why either. But if you use a normal one instead of the pro, you could likely run it off the PoE port.

Its an option at the very least, you could also hook a shity router up to the thing for wifi for them because seriously, fuck them, they aren't you.

but you may want to invest in a surge protector strip, if 2 plugs on your electronics need to be swapped around.
>>
>>57716081
How do you just buy a random router? I mean what's the point if you don't have a modem actually capable of interfacing with your ISP?
>>
>>57717062
modem connects you to the internet, router routs the data in house, the router has nothing to do with modem, but some modems can act as routers.
>>
>>57717077
That didn't answer my question at all
>>
>>57717091
It did. I don't see how it didn't answer it
>>
>>57717091
the modem gives you the internet, this is the bit that may or may not work with your provider

the modem then plugs into the router, this part is standard and will always work baring your modem uses ethernet, some may use fiber optics, you need special routers for that

the router then connects to your computer

some modems have routers inside of them, but routers are not modems

did I spell it out enough for you?
>>
>>57716081

Amazon had it up for $120 a few days ago kek. Got it and returned the ac1900 I bought for $180 from office depot.
>>
>>57717091
Do you have brain problems?
>>
>>57716349

I have been looking into this. Looks like fun stuff to configure.
>>
>>57717294
It has its ups and downs.

I'm a fucking idiot and cli is beyond me. most of the documentation refuses to do it in ui and forces cli, a shitty aspect to be sure.

I also am not sure if the firewall works, but again, I'm a retard and may not have done it right last time I tried.

There are tons of little things, that fucking bother me, but I cant complain considering my other router shit the bed on a firmware update, its what forced me away from the normal consumer brands.
>>
Just get the $26 Mikrotik hAP. Gigabit ethernet is a meme.
>>
>>57717044

I have 3 surge protectors, I have a lot of shit hooked up in the one room
>>
>>57717359
and you aren't tripping a breaker?
did you penny a fuse?
>>
>>57717143
>the modem then plugs into the router, this part is standard and will always work baring your modem uses ethernet, some may use fiber optics, you need special routers for that
What? That's the first time I've heard of any standard interface for interfacing between modems and routers

I mean I know of PPPoE which works from the DSL age, and that's how you could do it in the past, but with modern cable/fiber modems etc. I have no fucking clue how you would even remotely do it

Right now I'm just daisy chaining routers, but that's sort of shitty because I still get my ISP router's fantastic backdoors even if I daisy chain it in front of my own router
>>
>>57717371

It's not all in use at once. It's more so I dont have to swap plugs about. Like one strip is just 3 games consoles and a HDMI switch. One is my PC + 1 monitors + superhub. The other is my second monitor + device chargers
>>
>>57717385
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet

the part you plug into a modem has several different standards depending on provider, could be phone line, could be coaxial cable, could be fiber optic, but almost every single consumer modem shits out ethernet, either 100mbit, or 1gbit with the odd exception if it shits out a fiber cable and you need a special router to work with that.

>>57717401
Ah, I see, never plugged all my consoles in at one time, largely because I had to share them for fucking years so I never made it hard to plug in and unplug.
>>
>>57717498
>the part you plug into a modem has several different standards depending on provider, could be phone line, could be coaxial cable, could be fiber optic, but almost every single consumer modem shits out ethernet, either 100mbit, or 1gbit with the odd exception if it shits out a fiber cable and you need a special router to work with that.
A consumer modem can't just “shit out ethernet”. That makes no sense. It needs a router for that.

tl;dr whatever you're thinking of doing, you're probably also daisy chaining routers

oh well
>>
>>57717569
You just always had a router built into your modem. That way you're basically using your own private network in 1 IP address of your routers range.
>>
>>57717330

I've done a bit of CLI myself in classroom settings. It's kind of a pain at first but it really is better for configuring networks. With GUI you have to click this then that then this then that until you do one thing that takes way less time in CLI. Just gotta know those commands, but to me at least its way more satisfying then using a GUI.
>>
>>57717638
No, back in the DSL age you set your ISP modem/router into passthrough mode (which basically shuts off the router) and interfaced with it using PPPoE

Heck, in the past they weren't even the same unit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPPoE
>>
>>57717733
>>57717733
I know, I just assumed most people on here never saw one.
But hey, in today's wold most ISP s block access to the modem/router control panel all together, and with the business packs, you have to call the ISP and verify your ID just to change a port forward.
You're really not in control of those device's anymore
>>
>>57717899
But none of this goes any closer towards answering my question

How do you use your own router with cable/fiber internet without daisy chaining off your ISP's router?
>>
>>57717993
1. Get lucky enough to have a separate modem and router, all you have to do now is throw the old router away, plug the ethernet cable going from the old router to the new one.

2. Get shafted by ISP with combo box, either live with it or try to put it in a passthrough mode which disables the router functionality and has it act as a regular modem. Plug in a router ala option 1.

The way to visualize it from a non-technical perspective (since I have no experience in networking), the modem is a little black box that spits out an ethernet cable with internet that I can plug into a commercial router.
>>
>>57718130
>1. Get lucky enough to have a separate modem and router, all you have to do now is throw the old router away, plug the ethernet cable going from the old router to the new one.
But what technology do they use to communicate?

please don't answer “ethernet”, because ethernet isn't a protocol that defines communication between modems and routers

>2. Get shafted by ISP with combo box, either live with it or try to put it in a passthrough mode which disables the router functionality and has it act as a regular modem. Plug in a router ala option 1.
But again, how do you do this in an age where PPPoE / DSL/ATM passthrough is no longer an option?

What fucking protocol do they use? You can't just “hurr passthrough”, they have to speak some protocol in common, and I can't figure out if such a protocol exists or what it is.

>I have no experience in networking
It shows. Never mind, I'll get my answers elsewhere.
>>
>>57718233
OK to clarify, the modem spits out ethernet through the TCP/IP stack. If you have a seperate modem, just put it in pass through and even the DSL can be done on your router, some of them have this function.
OK, say you set up a pfsense box, plug in a fiber card into your router(in this case pfsense box).
Your ISP sends a fiber connection to your house, this is a generic connector which you should be able to use your ISP credentials with.
Plug that into the box and set it up as wlan.
Catch: this only works if your ISP allows you to have your own modem and shares your credentials with you. Usually you need a special package to achieve this. " business pro "or whatever marketing wank they call it now
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.