[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>SICP is an undergraduate class >Only old people in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: hqdefault.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>SICP is an undergraduate class
>Only old people in the classroom

Is it normal to be in your mid thirties when you're undergraduate at the MIT?
>>
that wasn't a class of undergraduates

that was a class of people that worked at HP
>>
>>57714953
>tfw I'll never work at HP
>tfw I'll never get to go take a class at the MIT

Why HP employees took a class on conputer programming based on Scheme?
>>
>>57714979
back when companies cared about their employees, they would actually train their employees on new technologies and sciences
>>
>replace that classroom with 3000 pajeets and you have a more accurate depiction of today
>>
>>57714979
You don't want to work in HP(E) nowadays. Fiorina completely ruined the company.
>>
>>57715148
Don't you have admission tests to go in MIT?
I'm curious to know what it is like in there.

I was in a top 5 uni in my homecountry and we had to deal with shitty foreign students because of our leaders' partnerships but iirc US and UK universities didn't do these can of "free ticket" partnerships, they required admission tests and other stuff.

>>57715375
Where would work the employees if SICP lectures were to be hold in year 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + ... + 63?
>tfw current CS is "train muh neural net" and "new meme javascript frameworks" all over and over again.
>>
>>57715375
Is there even any good engineering or programming talent left at hp? They literally died in the early 2000s
>>
>>57714953
Holyshit! I just realized that is why he speaks about his HP calculator when he said he used to press cosine multiple times and see the value converging toward the fixed point.

>TI 89 Titanium master race anyway.
>>
>>57714998
True. Now companies that do "continuous education" only pay for in-house "training" which is usually 10x shitter than the versions offered in a university or only willing to pay for-profit/shitty ITT Tech like ""schools"" to receive training.

Want to attend a local university? May get pushback unless the company has an agreement with said university and the agreement is more around trade skills
>>
>>57715580
for-profit schools are literally 10x more expensive tho
>>
>>57715508
I wonder if IBM, NetApp and Cisco is going the same way
>>
>>57715589
I worked at a large company. My job role was unrelated to CS, but I wanted to enroll as a postbac student to take CS courses at a nearby (but prestigious and highly ranked) university. They approved. But despite that my mentor mentioned in a round about way that I was putting my education first and this may hinder my career progression. I still worked 40 hours a week and did everything my manager asked of me, so if they didn't want me studying then my manager should have never approved of it?

Then a bit later my manager in a round about way questioned why I was studying computer science. He thought I was trying to become a programmer because I would 'make more'. I was already making a programmers salary, so it isn't like I was suddenly going to "make more"-- they never understood why I wanted to go back to school.

They thought I should have went to another university (which they have an agreement with) .... and I looked into that program and its a meme. You don't learn anything other than how to use a program to point and click and get answers.

I decided to have them pay for my courses as long as possible so I could prep to get into a PhD program since they weren't interested in reinvesting the talent into the company or training new talent
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.